• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Performance between high end and low end motors of equal KV

Bert_w164

Hey,

I'm trying to figure out is if there's much difference in performance between say a Hobbywing 4274 G3 v Random 4274 can, both of same KV. 

Should one expect to see an increase in performance or is it a case of they're at that point where they can hit their max rpm and the difference between them is sensors, quality of materials, durability and aesthetics? 

Motor I have: 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/surpass-taurus-4274-2200kv-1-8th-off-road-74mm-brushless-motor/rc-car-products/442261

Motors I'm looking at:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=407517

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=1335235

Please ignore the 50kv difference, the exam question is if these three motors were all equal KV, would there be a difference of performance (power) between them?

What I'm trying to achieve: 

- fastest/highest performance combo on 6S 

- fastest/highest performance motor the XR8 Plus can be safely matched to

Maybe you wont get all the features from the g3 motor eg timing and boosts vs xr8 g2 pro as your running a xr8 pro not g2, so probably go with the cheaper option? As your paying for features you cant use?
I thought you was looking at moving to 8s, wouldnt you want to be looking at a motor that supports up to 8s like a 4985?

Hey buddy,

Before I do that I want to make sure I'm not feeling a bit underwhelmed due to my current motor/it's not the bottle neck. 

I've seen people get really impressive results with the HW G2 motor + Max8/XR8 combo and I'm not sure if mine is up there...really I need to do a speed run as the metrics will tell me what's going on...

But in the meantime I do wonder if there's a difference between brands of motors, in terms of performance. 

Honestly, over the years I've tried the real Castle vs fake Castle and the fakes did just as good in my humble opinion.

They were always just as powerful, fast and lasted as well, never had one fail on me.

Ironically, the re-branded Castle motor failed in both my Yeti and my Dads and were replaced under warranty :lol:

Not sure about those actual specific motors, I'm sure there's some differences in the internals, but I do believe you pay for a brand name in this hobby quite a lot.

Same with brands we know that sell cars.

• Thanks 1

On 16/03/2021 at 11:15, Oh How Original said:

Honestly, over the years I've tried the real Castle vs fake Castle and the fakes did just as good in my humble opinion.

They were always just as powerful, fast and lasted as well, never had one fail on me.

Ironically, the re-branded Castle motor failed in both my Yeti and my Dads and were replaced under warranty :lol:

Not sure about those actual specific motors, I'm sure there's some differences in the internals, but I do believe you pay for a brand name in this hobby quite a lot.

Same with brands we know that sell cars.

I expected to get lambasted for my opinion but I agree

Cheapo/Budget motors and lipos to me are brilliant.

ESC’s, Servo’s and Radios you get what you pay for however

Just my experience. I personally wouldnt spend the money upgrading in your situation 

However, I do want to try a TP Power motor at one point to see if my opinion changes

• Thanks 1