• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Time to get serious!

tv.1982

After many years out of the scene, I returned to the world of RC mainly due to the ability to try hobby grade RCs for under £100. (Something unheard of 20 years ago)

I've been piling money into a wltoys 12428 just for it not to work and it seems more sensible to buy a 'proper' rc, now that I know its something I'd like to persue

My budget is £300

Bashing is my main style

4x4 unless you convince me 2WD is any good

Open to 1/16 or 1/10 scale.

New not used.

Suggestions?

Hi 
I have a typhon 3s  and quite like it. It is a bit larger than a 1/10 .  It can be bought now for 310 quid, i think.  It is easy to tinker with this model, i have completely rebuilt mine. It started life as a mega, and i upgraded everything to bring it to 3s blx standard. 
Some people here have said good things about the rival mt10 by team associated.  
You also have the hobao hyper VS which is more durable at around 330, but you might need larger batteries i think (i havent used one).
Depends on what type of car you are after?

Hi

I have the same exact model. I quite like traxxas. I just put a brushless system on mine.  The Xl-5 is not very fast out of the box 
The good thing about traxxas is that on average the parts are quite cheap. 

• Like 1

You've got lots of good options!

Traxxas Rustler 4x4 XL-5

Stampede 4x4 XL-5

Slash 4x4 XL-5

a little more affordable:

ARRMA Granite v3 550

ARRMA Typhon v3 550

However these are all BRUSHED but don't let that put you off, get a good chassis and upgrade the system to brushless later when you can afford it, in the long run you get a much better model than compromising for a cheaper RTR brushless model. :good:

• Like 2

Depending on the deal you can get, both Granite v3 and Typhon v3  3s are within budget (barely). 

I paid £303 for my Typhon 3s last week. 

Just keep in mind, that doesn't include batteries. 

Bought the Rustler.

Hopefully it'll increase the play time and decrease the wait time. Tired of waiting a month for even the smallest parts. Banggood is good, but not when you want to get your rc back in action quickly.

• Like 2

Hi tv.1982, I’m sure you have some beautiful locations for trails in Sweden.  From what I’ve experienced so far, it’s a tough balance between cash affordability and durability.

As much as I enjoy bashing my FTX Carnage, because it’s cheap it also isn’t up to the same abuse as an Arrma or Traxxas.  But FTX parts are cheap!  In hindsight, I’d rather have saved a bit longer and gone for something like the Rustler or Arrma Typhoon as I find myself holding back my driving to reduce FTX breakages and time out of action.

Hope you enjoy the Rustler.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tv.1982 said:

Bought the Rustler.

Hopefully it'll increase the play time and decrease the wait time. Tired of waiting a month for even the smallest parts. Banggood is good, but not when you want to get your rc back in action quickly.

Youll love it Im sure. Few upgrades to VXL Spec and a brushless system aand youre good to go!

1 minute ago, Guns said:

Youll love it Im sure. Few upgrades to VXL Spec and a brushless system aand youre good to go!

Sorry to hijack this post. What would you upgrade on a stock rustler 4x4 xl5 to get it to vxl standard? besides the esc and motor.
I just upgraded the esc and motor on mine. I think i will get the aluminum shaft soon. Is there anything else?

2 minutes ago, jimbulsara said:

Sorry to hijack this post. What would you upgrade on a stock rustler 4x4 xl5 to get it to vxl standard? besides the esc and motor.
I just upgraded the esc and motor on mine. I think i will get the aluminum shaft soon. Is there anything else?

No problem hijacking.

Upgrades are already on my mind, interested to hear suggestions too.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, jimbulsara said:

Here’s a list of differences   You can decide what you need/want

Edited by Guns

I have a dumborc x6 transmitter, Hobbywing EZRUN max 10 esc, from my previous failed wltoys upgrade, but it never worked.  See here.

I feel like maybe the problem was the 4370kv motor was to fast for the gearing on the wltoys, and thats why it kept cutting out. 

Presuming the other parts are in working order, what brushless motor and what kv compliments the rustler without being a diff killer?

Makes sense to buy the dedicated motor for the esc (EZRUN 3660 G2 3200KV) how many teeth should the pinon gear have to get a balance between fun fast and broken fast. Not thinking of running more than 2s.

Not essential to buy a 'dedicated' motor to an ESC, most motors will run with most ESC's assuming its not an AXE ESC and a sensored motor with a traditional style sensor port (might even be able to get an adapter for that now, don't know).   Castle motor / HW ESC, vica versa, etc etc, not an issue.  Only things to be aware of is whether the ESC is capable from a rating perspective to run the motor you have in mind.  No point trying to run a Castle 1515 off of a HW 16BL30.  And then its just practical things like making sure the bullet connectors on both are the same size (easy to change if not).

If it were me, with a Rustler 4x4, I'd look at running circa 3000kv on 3S if you're able to.  Obviously, if you already have a boat load of 2S packs, then ignore that suggestion and go with a 3500-4000kv can, but make sure your 2S packs are decent quality with a high(ish) C-rating.  The 3200kv HW G2 can would prob be fine too, but if you want some decent speed, be prepared to gear up slightly.

I already have a EZRUN max 10 sct from my wltoys build. Just bought EZRUN 3660 G2 3200kv motor as it has a port for the temperature sensor from the esc. My question was more how many teeth on the pinin gear to not have it under or over geared. I bought a 14t and a 18t pinion and will keep an eye on temps.

Edited by tv.1982

• 2 weeks later...

To update and end this post, and to give the result.

Traxxas Rustler, Hobbywing wzrun Max10sct with hobbywing 3200kv motor, 14t pinion, 54t spur. 2s 4000mah

For me, gives comfortable but fun speed, and low end torque for acceleration.

Thanks for any and all help.

Out.

• Like 1