• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Can I crawl with my ECU?

evozero

Hi All,

I am looking into getting our first crawler, mostly for when out walking with the kids?

I'm unsure if I should RTR or use parts I have;

A Dumbo 6ch TX & RX with lights.

2s&3s lipos, servos.

Hobbyking 120A ECU (flashed with HobbyWing firmware) with the options in the screenshots, could it be programmed for crawling?

So would only need a motor if the ECU is suitable.

Cheers

Ian

FWbasic.png

FWadv.png

Hi there!..

Whilst I cannot comment upon that actual ESC, looking at the screenshot it has all the adjustments required for crawling and many that would not come as standard on a cheaper crawler rtr esc..

That said, if you plan on taking the rig for a walk then you would certainly be doing a fair bit of trailing vs crawling. These two disciplines benefit from different esc settings but one could certainly set a halfway house - which is where a lot of RTR Escs are set... And lets not forget, one can have fun driving anything , just some rigs and settings perform better at various disciplines! 

I guess the equation of kit vs RTR will come down to budget and if you enjoy the actual making of a model. 

Oh, and as per OHO, I'd set your cut off to 3.2V.  

Thankyou both for the replies, Ill set the cut off to 3.2v before next use, good catch!

I'm guessing I cannot connect a brushed motor it this ECU, its brushless & sensored?

OHO, What makes it unsuitable, is the the brushless bit?

Looks as though £35 would get me a 1060 & motor, so not much of an issue in the end?

Many thanks

Ian

3 hours ago, evozero said:

Thankyou both for the replies, Ill set the cut off to 3.2v before next use, good catch!

I'm guessing I cannot connect a brushed motor it this ECU, its brushless & sensored?

OHO, What makes it unsuitable, is the the brushless bit?

Looks as though £35 would get me a 1060 & motor, so not much of an issue in the end?

Many thanks

Ian

Hadn't realised the Esc was brushless tbh. There are decent brushless motors out there but I wouldn't know about budget ones.

With regards other ESCs I'd step up to the 1080 unit if you go that way - offers much more adjustment  - many of us run these.. ( On brushed set ups )

Edited by stimpy