• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What's going on with the CAA and 'UAV's'

Derka

I'm out of the loop, the new classes, C0, C1, open etc all just confused me I can't figure it out!

I have a Mavic Mini as it was under the 250g limit to avoid putting a silly sticker on my drone and paying the CAA for the privilege. 

Now, since 31st Dec 2020, there are new classes, which don't actually apply to any new drones till 2023 as no current drones have these classes applied. I don't know why they make so difficult to understand.

I have figured out I now need to pay for a sticker but has anything else really changed? I was thinking of upgrading to a Mavic Air or Air 2 but if the beauracrats are tightening down the screws more, do I now need to do a Certificate of competency (GVC or A2 CofC?) Then I won't bother and I'll stick to surface vehicles!

Edited by Derka

So it's basically the same guidelines but I now have to pass the CAA test and then put the ID on my drone regardless of the weight but the same guidelines of max altitude of 120m, 50m away from people/buildings, don't fly in the city or over large groups (unless under 250g) and keep the drone in VLOS...

Hmm. Not too bad then. Still tempted to just sell up and call it a day.

• Like 1

It's crazy. No one has died from a drone. 

120m max altitude I get, manned aviation is supposed to stay above this. But not some military up here in the Scottish Highlands who just use the majority of the Highlands as a test range.

Privacy is mute. I can drive my real car outside your house and take pictures. Google also has your house from above and at street level. 

The CAA are bonkers applying manned aviation legislation to drones and other model aircraft. The manned aviation pilots regularly break rules on air strips been out of use with MASSIVE white X's on the runway but still land, not checking their own NOTAMS.

I'm a BRCA member as it's mandatory for me to race at club level. It's £20 a year and covers me if I injure someone, It's basically a public liability insurance. What if VOSA or DVLA or whatever they're called now make guidelines that surface models have to abide to a maximum speed or distance from the operator or you can't use your RC car within 50m of someone's property or a group of people? You're not allowed to use a RC car in any area that's populated and then we have pay £10 to put a sticker on our surface models to pay these fools who have no idea about the hobby. 

It's almost as if the CAA want to 0-120m airspace to be theirs for commercial gain, think Amazon and Google buying this airspace for their use. Absolute crackers. 

All these YouTube videos of people blatantly breaking multiple rules and nothing happens. Me? If I flew at 121m or a tree obscured my view briefly or the farmer moaned I didn't ask to fly over his field I'd have the police at my door and warned, fined and or prosecuted!

Compliance with their guidelines does not guarantee safety. 

Drives me mad. 

Think I'll stick my drone on eBay. It's just not worth the hassle to fly my drone a few hundred metres from home a few times a year.

Well... That's my thoughts. 🥱🤷🙄😂

Edited by Derka
  • Like 1

i felt the same when they first brought in the rules too derka i still have my drones i dont think ive ever sell them as there will come a time i wanna fpv again as the experience is unreal.

it sucks a few have ruined it for the majority also it has alot to do with the big companies and future drone deliveries ,our group always flew safe away from people ALWAYS had min of one spotter under 400ft too 😞

half our group passed there tested and stickered IDed there drones other half of us went back to ground rc

tbh only time we ever got moved on was from a large field with a public walkway through so thought we were ok we had set up some gates to practice and a girl walking a dog passed and asked a few questions and went on here way a while later the farmer who rents the field came over and asked us to go which we did no problem  my bad on that one he was cool though and was even asking about the tech  obv the girl was his daughter etc 

back then we even tried joining a few flying clubs local  and none would even allow drones 😞we even rented a school gym hall on a sunday morning  to fly micro drones fpv that was fun 🙂