• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Speed difference between 60a & 120a ESCs

RC Marty

Evening all,

I'm in the market for an ESC to pair with my 3650 52000kv brushless motor. I'm initially going to use it for a few speed runs using a 3s battery for short bursts.   but for most of the time I'll use a 2s for general fun and frolics out and about. I'm running a WLTOYS 144001. I'm looking at the 60a or 120a Hobbywing EZ or quickrun ESCs. 

Questions I have:

1.will I get more top speed out of the 120a ESC vs a 60a ESC?

2. If I primarily use a 2s lipo would it be better to got for the 60a over the 120a?

3. Apart from the size and cost difference  is there much performance-wise difference for ,y intemded use between such ESCs?

Thanks

Mart

Goodevening.

1. Yes as higher Amps = higher Flow (bigger pipe). Higher flow means more / all the volts reach the motor without brownouts / power dips.
2. Depends on the lipo C rating (This also affects the amount of amps the esc can produce as affects the flow), higher C rating = higher pressure / amount of volts the battery can deliver to the esc.  Volts = Pressure.
3. The 60a is much smaller and lighther than the 120a in addition the 120a has 4mm connectors vs the 60a 3mm and the 120amp can take up to 4s when the 60a is limited to 3s.

IMG_20210122_234631.thumb.jpg.2b8cab2c5b2a2ed84fa3a0952bf2a1c4.jpg

Hope this was some help.

Edited by Redback
  • Thanks 1

Think you're gonna need a lot more esc than 120a with that motor... 😁

I'd second the above, though with one caveat, as said the 120a is a fair bit chunkier, and you said it was going in a 14401 - just check the 120a will fit, if it does, then yes, the better option really, as has more uses in future if/when you go up in scale (or down...???, bigger anyway!).

• Thanks 1

On 22/01/2021 at 23:53, Redback said:

Goodevening.

1. Yes as higher Amps = higher Flow (bigger pipe). Higher flow means more / all the volts reach the motor without brownouts / power dips.
2. Depends on the lipo C rating (This also affects the amount of amps the esc can produce as affects the flow), higher C rating = higher pressure / amount of volts the battery can deliver to the esc.  Volts = Pressure.
3. The 60a is much smaller and lighther than the 120a in addition the 120a has 4mm connectors vs the 60a 3mm and the 120amp can take up to 4s when the 60a is limited to 3s.

IMG_20210122_234631.thumb.jpg.2b8cab2c5b2a2ed84fa3a0952bf2a1c4.jpg

Hope this was some help.

Cheers. I've opted for the 120a version. Now to find a decent little 3s battery.