• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

maverick Strada`s budget speed runs for all

Lone-wolf

1 minute ago, GMballistic said:

You'd be surprised how difficult it can be sometimes getting just a few extra mph so it very well could be famous last words. 😆  

Congratulations on the 84mph PB. Well done. :topbanana:

Oh I can believe it! Lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

Just a quick non-update. I ordered a larger pinion to get me into 90's over a week ago, still no sign of it 😠 As soon as it arrives it'll be getting fitted and tested!!

good luck mate, but the way your going you dont need luck, your doing well as it is

• Like 1

The postie has been!! Currently running 19/27 gearing and can run that all day long without worrying about heat. I'm hoping the 22t will see me well into the 90's without any heat issues. If that goes well then I'll give the 25t a very cautious test run and see what it does to the temps. I also have a 25t spur gear that I ordered by mistake a while back so could potentially run 1/1 gearing, though I don't think that'll be necessary.

IMG20210409163004

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

The postie has been!! Currently running 19/27 gearing and can run that all day long without worrying about heat. I'm hoping the 22t will see me well into the 90's without any heat issues. If that goes well then I'll give the 25t a very cautious test run and see what it does to the temps. I also have a 25t spur gear that I ordered by mistake a while back so could potentially run 1/1 gearing, though I don't think that'll be necessary.

IMG20210409163004

Looking forward to seeing you smash 90 mate 👍

Good luck 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As the owner of  a strada buggy, i'm a little amazed by what I'm reading on this thread.

90MPH on this platform is utterly bonkers 😄

If there is any bespoke parts that could be made to help give me a shout, at least in the most part its something I can test fit on my car before I ship it out.

Nylon /CF Nylon/ Polycarbonate/CF Polycarbonate are all decent option for parts.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Paul Busby said:

As the owner of  a strada buggy, i'm a little amazed by what I'm reading on this thread.

90MPH on this platform is utterly bonkers 😄

If there is any bespoke parts that could be made to help give me a shout, at least in the most part its something I can test fit on my car before I ship it out.

Nylon /CF Nylon/ Polycarbonate/CF Polycarbonate are all decent option for parts.

Thanks @Paul Busby I may well take you up on that! It's currently pretty much stock, bar gearing, electronics and a couple of cut outs from the chassis to make things fit. I haven't even locked the diffs yet lol.

@Jack Reacher Not much in the way of footage but I got the run so will post it later 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, everclear1984 said:

Thanks @Paul Busby I may well take you up on that! It's currently pretty much stock, bar gearing, electronics and a couple of cut outs from the chassis to make things fit. I haven't even locked the diffs yet lol.

@Jack Reacher Not much in the way of footage but I got the run so will post it later 🙂

Yeah I'm actually a little confused at how you managed to fit some of those spur gears. I spent more time than I care to mention tying to figure out how to get a decent spur in there and didn't manage. I think I ended up with the stock 44 or 42T, whichever it is.

This thing definitely needs the steering servo saver area sorted out. Gets sloppy real fast.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Paul Busby said:

Yeah I'm actually a little confused at how you managed to fit some of those spur gears. I spent more time than I care to mention tying to figure out how to get a decent spur in there and didn't manage. I think I ended up with the stock 44 or 42T, whichever it is.

This thing definitely needs the steering servo saver area sorted out. Gets sloppy real fast.

I can't remember who put me on to them but it's the HSP Behemoth 27t spur, part number 08067. It doesn't have the spacer built moulded in but you can use a 10X5X4mm bearing  in its place. The smaller pinion I've made fit running that spur is 19t.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, everclear1984 said:

I can't remember who put me on to them but it's the HSP Behemoth 27t spur, part number 08067. It doesn't have the spacer built moulded in but you can use a 10X5X4mm bearing  in its place. The smaller pinion I've made fit running that spur is 19t.

Erm me 😁

Top job hitting 90mph mate 👍 That’s some achievement 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

I knew it was either you or @Redback 😁 I've just got done gearing her up for the next run 🙂

old top, new bottom

IMG20210413130741

and here's what a gear change currently involves!

IMG20210413130618

It’s like a proper race car now with strip downs in between runs 👍

Is the only suspension the fuel tube now ? 
Got to be a ton with that gearing .

Have you adjusted your speed meter to the faster refresh rate or whatever its called ? Might be the difference of a mph or two 👍

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tomr said:

It’s like a proper race car now with strip downs in between runs 👍

Is the only suspension the fuel tube now ? 
Got to be a ton with that gearing .

Have you adjusted your speed meter to the faster refresh rate or whatever its called ? Might be the difference of a mph or two 👍

First thing I did was set the GPS to 10hz refresh rate  👍

I've been running the fuel tubing in place of springs since very early on, fortunately it's perfectly smooth where I run so it hasn't caused any issues. 1/1 gearing, should get me there provided something doesn't give first!

• Like 2

Congratulations @everclear1984 and lovely to see the kids involved too. 

I think what might hinder you as you get closer to the ton is your ESC but hopefully I'm wrong and it will be good enough to get you there. :good:

• Like 2

I just lifted my Strada down to think of some simple ideas to help...

First thing that springs to mind is the servo. Do you think you could vertically mount it, to then move the esc forward so you can fit a bigger motor?

Edited by Paul Busby
  • Like 1

Good shout on moving the servo, I'm sure I could knock something up to either move it forward a little or even relocate it completely (I don't have the car in front of me right now so have no idea where it would go).

@GMballistic I think you're right. The motor should be good for the kind of RPM's I'm reaching, but the esc is questionable. I have no reason to doubt it just yet but it's always in the back of my mind that I'm asking a lot from it.

The first thing I need to address is the tyres! I'm still on the original foams with the grooves worn into them 😆

• Like 2