• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

maverick Strada`s budget speed runs for all

Lone-wolf

I am slightly interested in trying a high speed build, based on yeah you guessed....a WLtoys but-----------------i figure it will end up expensive, as i would really need some way to see what speed is hit this is on top of buying the car, getting a brushless set up and finding a place to do the speed runs, may be something i look at later in the year

Edited by Jack Reacher

Its more the cost and area youve got to consider there. Nowhere near where i live supports a vehicle like that, and also youre probably looking at 500+ for a really fast one. Talking 120+ mph. Personally id do what everyone else does and get a 1/8th platform, delta plastik body, 1/5 esc and fast 1/8th motor with big batteries. Full rebuild on every crash though

• Like 1

100% worth doing, extremely fun getting something so small going so fast. I myself have had several mini buggies going 90+ mph, yet to hit the 100 milestone though.

Have you looked into coming to any of the Rossa events at all? Depending on where you live that could be a good option. We run 2 sets of speed traps to give an extremely accurate reading, any records also set with us are fully accepted by Guinness World Records 👍

We run at Snowdonia aerospace center, in north west wales. Well worth the trip if you aren't too far. Take a look at our website for more info: http://rossa.org.uk/ 

If thats no good, GPS has become much more accurate in the last few years, we still can't accept and GPS speeds as official Rossa records, but we have setup a separate GPS speed league on facebook that has a large amount of interest. Most people use the Garmin Forerunner 101 or 201 for speed running, however i'd suggest a Speed Flea for a small buggy. Nice and small and not too pricey. https://www.speed-flea.com/

Edited by pieman5
  • Like 2

In terms of bashing then I'd stay clear and get a LC racing buggy but for speed runs they seem to hold up well. 

There's a good amount of support out there for them via Facebook and other forums. I think that attracts people is that you can go over 100 for less than £200 and if you crash it's not going to cost the earth to re build.

The bigger 1/8+ rigs are nice but a rolling chassis is £350+ and you can easily spend that again on electronics plus any other bits that you want.

At the end of the day it's what you want to invest and personality I'd be bricking it trying to send a £750 RC to 100+ MPH. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pieman5 said:

100% worth doing, extremely fun getting something so small going so fast. I myself have had several mini buggies going 90+ mph, yet to hit the 100 milestone though.

Have you looked into coming to any of the Rossa events at all? Depending on where you live that could be a good option. We run 2 sets of speed traps to give an extremely accurate reading, any records also set with us are fully accepted by Guinness World Records 👍

We run at Snowdonia aerospace center, in north west wales. Well worth the trip if you aren't too far. Take a look at our website for more info: http://rossa.org.uk/ 

If thats no good, GPS has become much more accurate in the last few years, we still can't accept and GPS speeds as official Rossa records, but we have setup a separate GPS speed league on facebook that has a large amount of interest. Most people use the Garmin Forerunner 101 or 201 for speed running, however i'd suggest a Speed Flea for a small buggy. Nice and small and not too pricey. https://www.speed-flea.com/

Have you tried a speed flea, I ordered one but ended up canceling it as there isn't too many users out there yet. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Alex97 said:

Have you tried a speed flea, I ordered one but ended up canceling it as there isn't too many users out there yet. 

I have one, but haven't been able to compare it to the speed traps yet so unsure on the accuracy of it. From some low speed testing it seems to work fine.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Alex97 said:

In terms of bashing then I'd stay clear and get a LC racing buggy but for speed runs they seem to hold up well. 

There's a good amount of support out there for them via Facebook and other forums. I think that attracts people is that you can go over 100 for less than £200 and if you crash it's not going to cost the earth to re build.

The bigger 1/8+ rigs are nice but a rolling chassis is £350+ and you can easily spend that again on electronics plus any other bits that you want.

At the end of the day it's what you want to invest and personality I'd be bricking it trying to send a £750 RC to 100+ MPH. 

If i do this it will be a slow burner, a longer term project, but figure it will be a low cost wltoys base set up, have toi say i dont see me hitting any where near 100, i think a target of around 75 would be more sensible on both budget and location, speaking of, if i cant come up with some place kinda near then its dead in the water. I do fully understand as you go faster it takes a lot more to squeeze a little more out, been watching some serious stuff on Youtube like twin motors 1/8 custom chassis stuff like that, need a big budget for that sort of projects. As from Monday i will be half way there with a Arrma Senton BLX, this will be my fastest rc to date

24 minutes ago, pieman5 said:

I have one, but haven't been able to compare it to the speed traps yet so unsure on the accuracy of it. From some low speed testing it seems to work fine.

Please could you update once you've given it a high speed run?

2 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

I am slightly interested in trying a high speed build, based on yeah you guessed....a WLtoys but-----------------i figure it will end up expensive, as i would really need some way to see what speed is hit this is on top of buying the car, getting a brushless set up and finding a place to do the speed runs, may be something i look at later in the year

If you want a cheap speed reader then get a bike computer. I'm thinking of getting one just out of curiosity more than anything.

• Like 2

Throwing about some idea`s, so now i am wondering about a 1/10th touring car like Strada TC, rip brushed out put in a brushless combo and 4s pack, i would expect that to hit the kinda speed i have in mind however i imaging handling and steering would be bad, or worse all over the show! like i say just idea`s for now

when i woke this morning i thought maybe a wltoys 124019 but dont think i have the patience or the budget to do the proper conversion, still cant think of a single place to run high speed, need a place for setup testing, so at this moment not sure if i will do the speed car, if i do i will have to set my target lowish, time will tell

19 hours ago, Bajadre said:

are the different now DAL3D? i remember the old ones with the part you put in the spokes and it recorded the revoltions etc 

Yes - can get GPS ones 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have binned any notion of a wltoys project, if i continue with this idea it will be a strada TC set up on 4s, running foam tyres for grip, 70mph is doable on this, maybe more with right gearing, there is a car park near me that is empty on a sunday, has central curbs but its pretty large, i figure i could do big ovals and maybe get top speed out of a corner along the straight

All main parts are in cart should i decide to go for it

Edited by Jack Reacher

• Lone-wolf changed the title to tempted but not sure Fast Strada TC
26 minutes ago, Redback said:

Looking forward to seeing this develop.

cheers red, it will be a slow burner, the idea is to run it 2s out of the box, while i wait for the motor and esc to wing its way over from china, once i have the strada i can then work out what wheels/tyres to get for it, then once i feel its about set up and the electrics are installed it will be fun running it 4s, may have to purchase a speed GPS to see what it actually gets to and think i will have to keep my eye open for a larger place to go full speed

5 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

cheers red, it will be a slow burner, the idea is to run it 2s out of the box, while i wait for the motor and esc to wing its way over from china, once i have the strada i can then work out what wheels/tyres to get for it, then once i feel its about set up and the electrics are installed it will be fun running it 4s, may have to purchase a speed GPS to see what it actually gets to and think i will have to keep my eye open for a larger place to go full speed

Great to hear you're venturing into doing some speed runs. I love it. 

For tyres I think you're best off with foams for 1/10th but some rubber tyres were recommended to me when I was running 1/10th but I can't remember what they were, ... @pieman5 do you remember? Was it Sorex?

Foam 1/10th scale tyres @Jack Reacher you've ones like SP Racing foams, Matrix foams and if you can find them GRP foams. Try to get higher shore hardness tyres for running on asphalt.
These imho would be a good tyre to try and usually hard to find: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC1-10th-Model-Touring-Car-Wheels-Foam-Tyres-45-Sh-26mm-Wide-Gandini-New/303830257052?hash=item46bdb1cd9c:g:2bwAAOSwfS1f7PlA

I've not tried those tyres though but run GRP's on my 1/8th Typhon buggy so know the manufacturer makes decent tyres for speed runs. I ran SP Racing 45 shore hardness foams on my 1/10th but I had to import those from Italy through eBay. 

You'll definitely want a GPS speed meter imo especially as it helps you to gauge how well changes in gearing etc have improved your speed. Cheapest new one is probably the Sky RC GSM-015 available from Modelsport UK. There are cheaper options though if you can find used Garmin Forerunner 201's or 301's for example.

Finding a decent place to run is one of the biggest problems.
I run some of my cars on a local industrial estate road as it has no cat's eye's, is fairly clean and a good straight length. Still I use it mainly for testing as like Pieman I run my cars at ROSSA UK events where you can really open the cars up.  :good:

• Thanks 1

@GMballistic, great reply with plenty of useful info in there many thanks, and a reply that helps me with the issue of foams, the base car should be here sometime next week, the motor and esc a few weeks, already got the batteries, i have to say i have been inspired watching Raz Shifren on YT, love his vids, i see him getting the world speed record in time.........

I know the Strada is not the best choice, but this is just a fun project, low budget, never gonna set any records with it, never know i might get hooked, was tempted with a hobao roller

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

This is the car park I will do my test runs as it is empty of cars on a Sunday, it's larger than I looks in pic and very smooth

IMG_20210130_111720_1.jpg

Looks ok, If you remember, Marty McFly got his DMC Delorian up to 88mph in a similar size car park, he did however crash into a barn on Peabody farm, so 70mph should be fine.😀

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ag100 said:

Looks ok, If you remember, Marty McFly got his DMC Delorian up to 88mph in a similar size car park, he did however crash into a barn on Peabody farm, so 70mph should be fine.😀

Shush...........dont mention the flux capacitor its the secret component

• Haha 2

😱 Should be able to easily go over 70mph when it comes back from the future with hover wheels 😂

What motor are you putting 4s into, what can size / length can you max out in the strada 3670? I'm doing something similar with the cheapish banzai be good to see how they compare 🙂

Edited by Redback
  • Haha 1