• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hobao DC1 Owners

Just now, Stormbringer said:

yeh he doing not to bad even with back seat builder lol ohh and wheels i gave him are weighted tho lol :rofl:

hehe yeh cheers dad, also handy to have a finished one to look at 😛

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Yrkoon said:

got mine on monday a day early woot and got to work last evening and this afternoon untill a wee while ago, seems a pretty awesome kit to build and it is my first crawler so a bit of a learning experience as well, which is part of the reason i wanted a kit for my first big crawler, when something goes wrong ill know how it goes together 🙂

any one want a pic overload?

first steps

sJN9Xt1.jpg

1dgmYoX.jpg

let there be motor

Ug92eg5.jpg

starting to look like a chassis

YgpX9OO.jpg

8HzQl9Z.jpg

screw they alloy rods on front and back i had to switch places with 2

FFETDBn.jpg

it is starting to resemble something

7K5mVd6.jpg

had my end bits on the end of all the drive shafts at the wrong angle for when it came to fit the shocks lol

5gsOLUx.jpg

ohoh shock time i hate building shocks, thankfully dad knew what bit to file down to make them slide up and down a lot smoother

1IElivC.jpg

then i found out the fun bit because i miss aligned the angle on my drive shaft bits i had to do some dismantling to get the shocks to align lol

s4ETkET.jpg

and now it resembles a truck, muddy wheels because im waiting on bead locks and dad had his old tyres/wheels all ready glued

OxTaf8x.jpg

behold the glory

Vjo0Plu.jpg

dad gave me some red alloy thingies

zbW0der.jpg

still got a surprising amount of grease left over, im used to tamiya kits that hardly have any, any ways i need to start sorting out my leccys for it and spray the body, has been a enjoyable build so far and i have more knowledge than before i started, also had a laugh with dad tonight who kept spinning his pc chair around as a back seat builder, some was useful some not so much lol

You building it on a much faster pace then I do 😁,  building mine in a super slow pace, with the weather being nice I spend my time more on driving my rc cars, and save the build for rainy days, and If I build it to fast then I want to buy something new to build, and I spend allready to much the last 2 months.

But nice to see you having fun building it, and have fun driving it when it is done👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, No brains said:

You building it on a much faster pace then I do 😁,  building mine in a super slow pace, with the weather being nice I spend my time more on driving my rc cars, and save the build for rainy days, and If I build it to fast then I want to buy something new to build, and I spend allready to much the last 2 months.

But nice to see you having fun building it, and have fun driving it when it is done👍

cheers it will be nice just to pootle about the garden with it and when lock down is done it will be ready for woods and stuff 🙂

• Like 1

well had it out and it is going well but it is  louder than dads one and sounds a bit different, i made a video if any one knows if it sounds ok?  there is a tight part on the spur gear as well.

more pics 🙂

X85rqtG.jpg

tAlcASA.jpg

r7GwVeQ.jpg

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Yrkoon said:

well had it out and it is going well but it is  louder than dads one and sounds a bit different, i made a video if any one knows if it sounds ok?  there is a tight part on the spur gear as well.

more pics 🙂

X85rqtG.jpg

tAlcASA.jpg

r7GwVeQ.jpg

Same motor as your dad? My Dynamite motor was much louder than my Holmes Hobbies one. Is the mesh good? Hard to say what's causing the tight spot but if it's only minor and you set the mesh at the tight spot then it should be ok.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, everclear1984 said:

Same motor as your dad? My Dynamite motor was much louder than my Holmes Hobbies one. Is the mesh good? Hard to say what's causing the tight spot but if it's only minor and you set the mesh at the tight spot then it should be ok.

yep same motor as dads, yeh tried to set mesh on the tight spot but might give it another looksy 🙂

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MrPeaski said:

@Yrkoon Completely off topic, but what brand is that fish tank.

I'm curious as it looks familiar 👍

im not sure what brand it is tbh as i got it off my dad and im using a unbranded metal stand on it while he had it down stairs with a wooden cabinet.

edit: nothing exciting in it these days loads of bristle nose plecos some long fin and some not plus a poor rainbow on his own, im actually stopping the fishkeeping but corona has left me stuck with then lol

possibly a clear seal tank?

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers both. It looked very similar to a Clearseal setup, and it brought back memories.

I worked there for 30 years up until 4 years ago when I moved from Birmingham to Bridgend.

2 minutes ago, MrPeaski said:

Back on topic, I should be ordering the rest of the parts to complete the DC1 tomorrow.

Just need to create a build space!

hehe just hijack the kitchen table and bring it through to infront of the main tv and bingo 🙂

• Like 1

found a sweet vid of a dc1 crawling earlier

pretty immpressive the stuff it gets up and a lot quieter than mine, it is quite mesmermizing just watching it 🙂

oh when you come to the shocks, they are a bit meh and you will need to file down the sides with a hand file on the wee plastic ring that fits between the circlips and there are some discrepancys particialry on the body which slowed me right down and both me and dad had tons of screws left over..... lol

dad and i both had no holes for the wiper screws which hold the dash board to the shell, a wee hand drill sorted that 🙂

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 3

when i built mine i used the main kitchen table and also hijacked dads tv a bit, had my own tv upstairs but needed more space for this build as it is more complex than any build i have built before, built a lunch box on my bed no problem and a grass hopper but one look at the parts on this build meant i needed proper space.

mum normally goes clear your stuff before bed to dad, i had none of that as i could leave all my tools and stuff all over, think mum likes me better go autism 😛

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well that's everything now ordered, so I think by the end of next week I'll actually be able to start putting things together.

The build will be done in the spare room, once I sort a desk out.

@Yrkoon That's a good video, I think I've got his build bookmarked. Thanks for the extra tips, I'll keep an eye out for when i need them.

And just briefly coming back to the fishtank (sorry), @Stormbringer If you did get the tank from PetsatHome, it's unlikely to be a Clearseal, as they only supplied them with basic tanks any nothing over 2 foot.

• Like 2