• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hobao DC1 Owners

Almost there with the build, but quite disappointed with the shocks.

Just commissioned some new shock pistons to my sizes, so I can have a play with different oilway designs.

I'll update in due course 🙂

8B6D4905-28BA-4195-A9CC-47C75A500F5B.jpeg

B6C140EE-DE78-417D-A2CC-0BE8FA5B6FB8.jpeg

Edited by Dag
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

The shocks can be made to work well, I hated them, bought aftermarket shocks that did not fit right so modded the pistons and now they work

Yeah, I've got mine ok, but I've had far better working shocks.

I'll see what I end up with

• Like 2

Pretty much at a standstill with the build now.

decided to order new radio gear so I’ll be stood down till that’s here.

don’t think I’m going to use the DC1 body so looking at my options

94A85CC1-E7FD-41E0-8F09-B6950545668D.jpeg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dag said:

Only thing I'm struggling with, is getting the gearchange rod set properly, but I'll have a good look at that tomorrow.

Have a look at moving the actuator down closer to the centre of the servo horn. You only need a small amount of travel to change gear.

It looks like the same servo that I (everybody?) am using and it is in the second hole from the centre. With the radio (Radiolinc RC6GS) set at 50% on the end stops, I get about 7mm of travel on the shifter rod which changes smoothly when running at any speed.

If you change gear when stopped, it sometimes needs the car to move before clicking into place.

Interesting to see which direction you've gone with the bodyshell

• Thanks 1

I've been faffing with the suspension (again!!) with some 3D printed shock mounts.

With a bit of luck, I'll be taking it out to see how things hold up. So I'll post pictures and findings soon.

On 04/10/2021 at 20:01, Jack Reacher said:

Okay, at last the super swampers arrived, i have "Tooth cut" the foams to allow the wheels to squat the tyres a little, might be budget tyres but they are pretty decent, got them on the FS scx10 as well

tyres swampers.JPG

Where did you get the tyres from @Jack Reacher and have you got a picture of the tooth cut on the foams? Be interesting to try that one out.

I'm running the same tyres as @Stormbringer, but with the stock kit foams which are a bit wider than the ones that came with the tyres, but feel a bit softer.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MrPeaski said:

Have a look at moving the actuator down closer to the centre of the servo horn. You only need a small amount of travel to change gear.

It looks like the same servo that I (everybody?) am using and it is in the second hole from the centre. With the radio (Radiolinc RC6GS) set at 50% on the end stops, I get about 7mm of travel on the shifter rod which changes smoothly when running at any speed.

If you change gear when stopped, it sometimes needs the car to move before clicking into place.

Thanks

It was only really an estimation,  where I had the connection to the servo horn. Pretty sure I'll get it now I have the radio gear installed

26 minutes ago, MrPeaski said:

I've been faffing with the suspension (again!!) with some 3D printed shock mounts.

With a bit of luck, I'll be taking it out to see how things hold up. So I'll post pictures and findings soon.

Interested to see what you do with the shock mounts.

From what I've observed, the springs are too stiff. Maybe some extra height on the shock mounts will allow some sag.

I'll be looking at softer springs

11 hours ago, MrPeaski said:

I'll keep the shell under my hat, at least till I've got a fit up.

But it should change the COG significantly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrPeaski said:

I posted on page 12, my process of fitting a set of GMade XD Aeration shocks.

At the time I hadn't run the car with them but have done since and it made a world of difference.

Part of this I think has to be that they are a bigger diameter body and so there is more oil in the system. The problem with this is that (as posted) they are a pain to fit and needed extra parts 3D printing to get them to work.

This left the shock at a funny angle in relation to the mounts, the ended up wider at the top than at the bottom in a sort of wide 'V' shape, but they worked well anyway.

I decided to revise the entire mounting tower, and in essence copied the aluminium mounts you can get (these retail for around £80)

Using Fusion360, I was able to use a picture of the aluminium mount to create a copy, but the only real world dimensions I could use were the hole spacings that attach the mount to the rails. The rest was taken from the stock plastic mounts.

I also had to make some cylindrical parts to fit the shock to the new mount

The height of the top fixture is about the same as the stock mount, but angled back which follows the bottom mounting point better.

It also means that the top of the shock, now sits further in so they are now parallel vertically

The bodyshell also fits in about the same position as stock

Stock shock position (taken from @everclear1984 build thread)

IMG20201119132004

Revised position

IMG_20211009_135026.thumb.jpg.1a18a09615803f3aa77da14540f177d5.jpg

Mount details

IMG_20211009_132601.thumb.jpg.8e52156f2fa83f4c150a0d09eef81def.jpg

IMG_20211009_132613.thumb.jpg.dcce22696ce3ed0c1a467ebc39ab1a9d.jpg

IMG_20211009_132625.thumb.jpg.5243f9b631e915db05d3db6c7a3c1cdc.jpg

Aaaand as with my previous faffing session, I won't be able to take the beast out for a test run yet 😒

I like those shock mounts.

The alloy ones look far too dear.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

I had my DC1 out for a very quick run this morning to test the rear mounted battery and the new rock tyre super swampers, it went very well, I will link a video later

Moved my battery to the rear yesterday hoping to get the rear springs to sag a little.

Interested to see how it works for you.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

I think it works well, next time out i will run it with twin lipo`s to see how it fares, here is video from this morning, at some points in video you can see how the tyres squat out under load, just nice

Looks good and those tyres seem to work well

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

I think it works well, next time out i will run it with twin lipo`s to see how it fares, here is video from this morning, at some points in video you can see how the tyres squat out under load, just nice

Just making me wonder whether I should order another battery tray to carry 2 batteries.  That just may give what I think I need in terms of sag

Mmmmmm.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

modelsport had them in stock last week, you dont get the fixing screws so i just used 2 screws in each, and the rear mounted one needs the battery strap hook removing, i use vecro straps to hold battery any ways

Thanks. I'll order one.

• Like 1