• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Arrma Kraton EXB owners

50 minutes ago, BashingBrian said:

Where do you think the HW stuff comes from..?? 🤔🤣

They all come from China... of course... but the QC for Surpass and the QC for Hobbywing is for sure, two different leagues.

I recomend people buy Surpass al the the time, as they're so damn cheap, and the performance is overall very close to hobbywing, but there is for sure a difference in QC.

9 hours ago, Paul Busby said:

This guy....

When you get a guy who comes from a background of engineering sports bikes who puts his energy into RC... you get this. Outrageous!

Have to say all my Scorched parts... parts... have been incredible.

Nice bit of engineering but like the man says designed for more so for on road not off road bashers like the kraton 

Sooo, one last blast. Still waiting on the a arm, and need to find the slightly bent drive shaft, but popped to Wheelspin today. Click and Collected this:

IUVNTZZ.jpg

I, in a stupour just left the EXB to rot. It was filthy, so gave it a little clean up. Nothing major, cause ill need to do the arms when they arrive:

Should slow it down a bit:

0ecShjY.jpg

Also, had to obtain a second receiver as id robbed it for the X Maxx. 

KQqUXDa.jpg

looks anemic now haha

Ive bound the RX and calibrated the ESC, but not gone any further than that. Geared it with a 13t pinion. 

Only thing is, I, in a mood sold my brand new set of wheels and tyres. So if all goes well, Im

gonna need some more 😂😩

• Haha 1

Hi guys. Just before I bite the bullet, can I get some input to help me make a final decision. I’m heavily leaning one way at the moment, but that’s based purely on what I’ve read/seen on YouTube. Would be good to get some feedback from actual owners...

so I’m torn between the notorious and Kraton. I’m not looking at a roller, so not worried so much about the setup (initially). More the chassis.

I most enjoy jumping and flips etc, but that’s not all I do. I’m concerned the notorious will be a one trick pony and be pants at general driving with the short wheelbase. 

sorry if this is in the wrong thread, I’ve not managed to find anything more suitable. I’m thinking most here will be biased towards the kraton, but hopeful that some of you may have had a bash with both.

3 hours ago, Ant.p said:

Hi guys. Just before I bite the bullet, can I get some input to help me make a final decision. I’m heavily leaning one way at the moment, but that’s based purely on what I’ve read/seen on YouTube. Would be good to get some feedback from actual owners...

so I’m torn between the notorious and Kraton. I’m not looking at a roller, so not worried so much about the setup (initially). More the chassis.

I most enjoy jumping and flips etc, but that’s not all I do. I’m concerned the notorious will be a one trick pony and be pants at general driving with the short wheelbase. 

sorry if this is in the wrong thread, I’ve not managed to find anything more suitable. I’m thinking most here will be biased towards the kraton, but hopeful that some of you may have had a bash with both.

The notorious won't be pants at general driving, that said, the Kraton does pretty much anything the Notorious can, and is a bit more stable .

A kraton is unlikely to do a triple backflip with ease, and a Notorious is unlikely to get around a corner without letting off the throttle.... but neither will disappoint in either aspect.

• Thanks 1

On 23/04/2021 at 07:32, Ant.p said:

I’ve got both and have to say I enjoy my Noto more. Think it’s more the aggressive look of it though. Both are awesome trucks and you can’t really go wrong 👍🏻

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Rorys Breaker said:

I’ve got both and have to say I enjoy my Noto more. Think it’s more the aggressive look of it though. Both are awesome trucks and you can’t really go wrong 👍🏻

I went for the notorious. Picked it up yesterday 😍

• Like 2

Have to say; the notorious is just epic in every way. it’s exceeded most expectations I had. Such a fun car to drive!! The power makes it drive as if it’s weightless, and it handles all ive thrown at it so far(ish). The only slight surprise is how easily it bottoms out at the moment. Has anyone else experienced this? I’ve adjusted the rear shocks slightly by winding the threaded cap on top of the springs to compress them by an additional 10mm more than stock setup. Any other suggestions please? 

On 25/04/2021 at 18:11, Ant.p said:

Have to say; the notorious is just epic in every way. it’s exceeded most expectations I had. Such a fun car to drive!! The power makes it drive as if it’s weightless, and it handles all ive thrown at it so far(ish). The only slight surprise is how easily it bottoms out at the moment. Has anyone else experienced this? I’ve adjusted the rear shocks slightly by winding the threaded cap on top of the springs to compress them by an additional 10mm more than stock setup. Any other suggestions please? 

Preloading the shocks doesn't do anything in regards to your issue - it only changes the ride height, but doesn't make it stiffer or bottom out less (you're only pre-compressing the spring, the actual force needed to fully compress it doesn't change). The only way to get it to bottom out less is stiffer springs, or thicker shock oil. I personally, on my Maxx that had the same issue, just went with heavier shock oil. I couldn't tell you what the suggested CST is though, i don't have a notorious - google and/or arrmaforum i'd assume would be the first stops you should take. The shocks are filled with 1000 cSt, which apparently is around 80wt (there's two "competing" measures for viscosity). Which is pretty thick already, so might wanna have a look at stiffer springs.

image.thumb.png.ec171f1e9752dc1e2db75760e9a4e91d.png

This being your standard spring rate. All info in that regard can be found here.

https://www.arrma-rc.com/notorious/

"Detailed Specs" at the bottom.

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Thanks 1

On 26/04/2021 at 22:19, m4inbrain said:

Preloading the shocks doesn't do anything in regards to your issue - it only changes the ride height, but doesn't make it stiffer or bottom out less (you're only pre-compressing the spring, the actual force needed to fully compress it doesn't change). The only way to get it to bottom out less is stiffer springs, or thicker shock oil. I personally, on my Maxx that had the same issue, just went with heavier shock oil. I couldn't tell you what the suggested CST is though, i don't have a notorious - google and/or arrmaforum i'd assume would be the first stops you should take. The shocks are filled with 1000 cSt, which apparently is around 80wt (there's two "competing" measures for viscosity). Which is pretty thick already, so might wanna have a look at stiffer springs.

image.thumb.png.ec171f1e9752dc1e2db75760e9a4e91d.png

This being your standard spring rate. All info in that regard can be found here.

https://www.arrma-rc.com/notorious/

"Detailed Specs" at the bottom.

I would suggest you go with 1300cst oil, lots of guys run this weight as an upgrade for the Notorious/Outcast and it works fine..👍🏼

Don't go heavier springs unless you change to a bigger can motor and/or are running larger batteries otherwise the truck will become bouncy..!!

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, BashingBrian said:

I would suggest you go with 1300cst oil, lots of guys run this weight as an upgrade for the Notorious/Outcast and it works fine..👍🏼

Don't go heavier springs unless you change to a bigger can motor and/or are running larger batteries otherwise the truck will become bouncy..!!

Thank you, I’ll get some on order. I assume you use this for both front and rear?

The back end of my Notorious sat lower by a good 10mm than the front out the box on a level surface. I’m using 2 standard size 3s lipos which fit easily and are not as heavy/large as the car can handle.

Do you know if this is meant to be, or if I should tweak the springs to bring it level?

Edited by Ant.p

You want what's called "bones level". With the car loaded with batteries, the driveshafts should be level or just very slightly raised towards the centre of the car. 

50 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

Thank you, I’ll get some on order. I assume you use this for both front and rear?

The back end of my Notorious sat lower by a good 10mm than the front out the box on a level surface. I’m using 2 standard size 3s lipos which fit easily and are not as heavy/large as the car can handle.

Do you know if this is meant to be, or if I should tweak the springs to bring it level?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The rear A Arms are still out of stock, and the date is getting further and further away...... buy an Arrma they said, spare parts avaliability is fine they said.....

(tongue in cheek, not great for RC stock full stop at the mo.....)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Guns said:

The rear A Arms are still out of stock, and the date is getting further and further away...... buy an Arrma they said, spare parts avaliability is fine they said.....

(tongue in cheek, not great for RC stock full stop at the mo.....)

I think the fact that everyone has said this has made the situation worse, lots of demand!

I do have a set of EXB arms here that are for testing various parts, I'd rather keep them but if anyone is absolutely desperate for them, I can part with them.

50 minutes ago, Paul Busby said:

I think the fact that everyone has said this has made the situation worse, lots of demand!

I do have a set of EXB arms here that are for testing various parts, I'd rather keep them but if anyone is absolutely desperate for them, I can part with them.

Appreciate the offer, but Im busy anyway so its no big deal at the moment, theyre on order so its a waiting game

17 minutes ago, Guns said:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=1331902

15th August now......

Any other options/plans? I cant even get it operational to potentially sell it and buy a Maxx?

Apparently available here:

https://www.scmodels.co.uk/shop/arrma-rear-lower-suspension-arms-148mm-pr/

On 10/03/2021 at 11:48, m4inbrain said:

It actually doesn't matter much which way it is, it's visualised on the Noble NB4. Just press buttons and see the curve change, you want it a bit more horizontal around the centre, like this.

image.thumb.png.9e6ef788b1bad355296f6aa99ac4a3b9.png

Right, so first proper run in what seems ages with the EXB.

The Max 6 Combo is no more, downgraded to a Max 8 2200kv motor..... I've also geared down.

Finally got it back running so decided to take it easy.

I reset the above to a straight line, and the punch was set to level 3.

Its still an absolute beast, If im honest doesnt seem that less powerful..... Still brutal power! I then remembered the above EXP settings and dialed it back in to resemble the above. Much better

Then the heavens opened!

I called it a day and Ive dropped the punch to level 1. I also think I need to thicken the diff fluids to tame it some more. Then I can get it off road and see if I can gel with it as a basher, cause as I admit, everyone else is having better luck bashing theirs than mine!

Im quietly confident I can get this where I want it.... if not, I should be able to sell it, re coup some funds and get a Maxx.

• 3 weeks later...

Please can someone recommend an alternative front bumper for the notorious or something additional like a skid plate? I would be happy to replace with the stock one, but it didn’t last well. Bent out of shape a few times, and the last time I tried to bend back it snapped off entirely 🤦‍♂️

On 31/05/2021 at 22:28, Ant.p said:

Please can someone recommend an alternative front bumper for the notorious or something additional like a skid plate? I would be happy to replace with the stock one, but it didn’t last well. Bent out of shape a few times, and the last time I tried to bend back it snapped off entirely 🤦‍♂️

Have a look at the t bone racing bumpers. Got the xv4 or something on mine. It’s really strong as I abuse the crap out of my noto 😅

• Thanks 1