• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Element RC Gatekeeper Thread

Redback

2 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

Are they the copy rock beasts?

If so, not to be negative or burst your bubble but they are trash.

I very veeery rarely throw anything RC related away, but I got home and put mine straight in the bin.

They wouldn't even grip very porous rock lol, I have video to show it if anyone would like to see.

What are the differences between the genuine and copies?

59 minutes ago, Derka said:

What are the differences between the genuine and copies?

Never bought copies but I'd assume there would be a drastic difference in the rubber compound / quality of the rubber used, e.g. how soft / supple they are, that affects performance on different surfaces.

3 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

They wouldn't even grip very porous rock lol, I have video to show it if anyone would like to see.

Yes please!

@Derka - @Redback - not meaning to hijack this thread btw... I am certain yours are real Derka, where you bought them should confirm that.

Having zoomed in on the picture they do indeed say Pit Bull on the sides, the real ones do not.

This is a very short comparison video, the first clip is with my genuine tyres, the second clip is my Dads truck with stock RTR TRX4 tyres and the third clip is with the copies.

All the same little climb, just different angles.

Even without the video, I can say the fakes are just junk, they wouldn't grip to anything at all.

And no my truck wasn't stuck on anything, that little area (if you check my channel) is an area I use a lot, just because it's local and it's handy for testing, so I've done that same climb at least 100 times.

• Thanks 1

All good, love getting information on whats some good tires and those to avoid.
On the point of tires the correct ones arrived.
Super supple and sit really nice, will be getting again.
IMAG1308.thumb.jpg.a2e610ce781ac0b102b0f6ab42dc2e45.jpg
I like this transmission it has plenty of room for addons. Made a little motor protector to keepmuck & twigs out of the outrunner motor casing.
IMAG1291.thumb.jpg.fe9f27192e477020617e210ca1eeb604.jpg IMAG1290.thumb.jpg.6637f39b6540027cd1de70a023986ba8.jpg

Took her out for a test with the sidewinder4 , holmes hobbies revolver 2700kv and 17t pinion. Was good but not fast enough for my likeing similar issue  with the axe 1800kv.
Moved up to a 5000kv castle sensored on 10t pinion will see how that fairs. Its got tons of speed and very smooth startup.
IMAG1314.thumb.jpg.e4f943e8b923eb4fceabd423b3efc296.jpg

The esc is overkill but its the only one i have for this motor, it takes up the entire top servo plate, with 5mm room left over.
For those interested there is just enough room to mount a scale winch infront of the esc on the top plate of the IFS kit, closing the cage was troublesome however they will fit.
The transmitter box im using is from the Hobao DC1, they are waterproof and seem decent enough a bit small maybe if you have lots of channels or wires., what is everyone else using?

Was happy with the stock shocks but need a bit more ground clearance with the IFS so swapped out for some longer dual rate shocks i had been using on my other crawler.
I think they look alright, might look better with bigger bore ones, however functionality over looks these perform really good.

IMAG1303.thumb.jpg.3497f7fb3861ea0cae1365f06b881c48.jpgs

Tiny bit of rubbing when on extreme compression. These rims are deep and offset the wider tires by quite a bit, so my assumption at the start that the open cage body would make it easy to fit big tires was wrong.

IMAG1321.thumb.jpg.b7e47b8e851488ae0ccdbbd43df40987.jpg

Some scale details, old drive shaft, comes in handy for keeping the shell up whilst working on it on the trail.
Also can see mounting of some lights, seems like thats what the little brackets at the front are for.

IMAG1311.thumb.jpg.09eac5e157bef3a4922024e75f998f4b.jpgIMAG1313.thumb.jpg.9f39c669c0bad3f748e1246598c2a1f6.jpg

IMAG1319.thumb.jpg.5cabc86e2511a133b9440b3ef734f4d9.jpg

Some footage testing the IFS kit on the gatekeeper chassis along with how noisy the revolver motor is, sorry its not the best footage still getting started please be kind :)
Major issue with steering even at 7.4v on a 21kg servo the steering locks up. Will be getting a much stronger servo maybe double it to 48kg. Im 50/50 on the IFS kit it looks neat but performance is weird.

It can sure getup places other trucks can't, my other crawlers would not cross those rock gaps or climb the vertical bank. I'm enjoying the gatekeeper. Are you enjoying yours? What pros and cons have you found?
Does anyone's lurch due to the overdrive at stock, is that normal?

Thank you for reading I hope it was helpful.

Edited by Redback
  • Like 2

Yours and Derkas tyres are very different lol, sorry the confusion came because you said you ordered the same wheels and tyres, so I thought they were a cheap eBay set, my bad fellas sorry.

As for speed, I tend to agree, I am running a 2300kv axe system, ran it today and I'd like a tiny bit more wheelspeed.

I might see how it runs and opt to put this system in the Capra and go brushed with the GK for a bit more wheelspeed.

The smoothness of it is good though, not sure how I will get along with the automatic throttle.

Having spent £2600 in a month, I can't justify buying a Holmes/Castle combo for speed lol.

Mine has a Holmes Crawlmaster 12T Sport with a 18T pinion... I'd love to try it out but I'm still waiting on my shorty sized 3s battery to arrive!

@Redback The front lurching is probably the CVD's. I don't have the IFS setup so not sure if that has CVD's or dog bones at the front? I'm 99.9% sure it's not the overdrive causing it though.

Mine does it with some steering applied too after testing it out on the bench when you first mentioned it. Not sure it's too apparent when running it on the ground. A locked diff and turning will have a small amount of scrubbing on a grippy surface as the wheels will want to turn at different speeds but can't. On loose ground it should be smoother.

1 hour ago, Derka said:

Mine has a Holmes Crawlmaster 12T Sport with a 18T pinion... I'd love to try it out but I'm still waiting on my shorty sized 3s battery to arrive!

@Redback The front lurching is probably the CVD's. I don't have the IFS setup so not sure if that has CVD's or dog bones at the front? I'm 99.9% sure it's not the overdrive causing it though.

Mine does it with some steering applied too after testing it out on the bench when you first mentioned it. Not sure it's too apparent when running it on the ground. A locked diff and turning will have a small amount of scrubbing on a grippy surface as the wheels will want to turn at different speeds but can't. On loose ground it should be smoother.

Which shorty 3s have you gone with?

26 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

Which shorty 3s have you gone with?

This one: https://www.makeitbuildit.co.uk/gens-ace-li-po-hv-car-3s-11-4v-3600mah-50c-with-t-type-gc3h3600-50-82806

Although I wish I bought the IP from Modelsport (https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=446979)  and paid the few quid more to get the battery next day! Still awaiting the order from Makeitbuuldit that I placed on the 27th November.

Just now, Derka said:

This one: https://www.makeitbuildit.co.uk/gens-ace-li-po-hv-car-3s-11-4v-3600mah-50c-with-t-type-gc3h3600-50-82806

Although I wish I bought the IP from Modelsport (https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=446979)  and paid the few quid more to get the battery next day! Still awaiting the order from Makeitbuuldit that I placed on the 27th November.

He is snowed under due to the amazing sale he had on HobbyWing lol.

Question, going to feel like a noob now, do HV, LiPos just charge in the same way?

I fancy a couple of those for the Capra as well, looks like exactly what I want tbh, something small but good capacity so I don't have to keep changing my 1500s every hour.

They just charge to 4.35v per cell, my iCharger 406 has a setting for LiHV. If your charger doesn't support LiHV You can charge to the normal 4.2v though using the regular Lipo settings.

The storage voltage is also a tad higher, around 3.9v. 

I think they use 5mm bullets too, so you'll need the 5mm to 4mm tube inserts. 

To be fair they dispatched it within 48hrs... It's just coming by Hermes!!

9 minutes ago, Derka said:

They just charge to 4.35v per cell, my iCharger 406 has a setting for LiHV. If your charger doesn't support LiHV You can charge to the normal 4.2v though using the regular Lipo settings.

The storage voltage is also a tad higher, around 3.9v. 

I think they use 5mm bullets too, so you'll need the 5mm to 4mm tube inserts. 

To be fair they dispatched it within 48hrs... It's just coming by Hermes!!

Ahhh yeah, he will send lipos properly by someone who carries them, that being said I've had good service from Hermes lately... 3-5 day services arriving in 48 hours.

Thanks for info, it seems my T200's will do HV.. Out of interest, if you charge in 'normal' lipo mode, does it still get to full capacity?