• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

everclear1984's Hobao DC1 build

First run. I haven't glued the tyres on yet so I couldn't put it fully through its paces. I'm waiting on some wheel weights to arrive then I'll get them glued up.

IMG_20201122_160721_884IMG_20201122_160847_461IMG_20201122_161015_836IMG_20201122_161102_668

Edited by everclear1984
  • Like 3

Just now, Derka said:

So what are your initial thoughts? Anything to compare it too?

Just the Outback V2's that I've been running for a couple of years. They've had a lot of time and money spent on them so are pretty capable despite being a budget RC. Today at least, the Outback outperformed the DC1, but the Hobao was far more satisfying to drive. Bear in mind I haven't glued the tyres on yet, which was causing all sorts of issues. I'll post up my thoughts once I can get them out for a fair test :)

There are a couple of local crawler groups so I'll have lots to compare to once lockdown is eased!

47 minutes ago, Redback said:

Super photo's looks like lots of fun, love to see a photo of how clean the inside was after.
What battery did you run and how long did it run for, any video of it mud bogging? :D

This is a photo taken after the worst of it, must have been half submerged in a huge silt filled puddle. I ran it through the river afterwards to wash the worst of it off before it mixed with mud and turned to an abrasive paste lol.

I have footage, I'll post it up soon :) You can see through the windows that water doesn't get churned up inside the body.

IMG_20201123_145524

That was the only time anything manager to work it's way past the fenders.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Great pics mate :thumbsup:

Did it get stuck at all ?

Really thinking of getting 1 of these after Christmas 🍻

It got good and stuck at one point, I had to fish it out 🤣 I'll include the good and bad parts of the footage to show exactly how it performed.

23 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

I thought it was a boat at start of vid lol but as the wheels spun you could see it getting lower in the water but apart from that it looks quite a capable truck :thumbsup:

It definitely needs some weighted wheels. I had fully intended to add weight before gluing them but the weather was good and patience ran out 🤣 I've attempted to cross that "puddle" countless times with the Outbacks, and it usually results in a hefty repair bill!

I'll be opening up the rear diff tomorrow to see what managed to work it's way in

I opened up the rear diff housing to check the damage after that mud bath and it's absolutely spotless

IMG20201124203700

I think I'm going to add more grease anyway, but I'm reluctant to fill the axle as it makes it super messy to work on.

• Like 2

I remember when you used to like speed and you totally took your firestorm out all the time doing jumps and whatnot, now you are into crawlers 😂 but I thoroughly enjoyed watching that last vid that I'm on MS looking at crawlers 😂

• Haha 1