• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Venture Thread

willb

Just wondering who if anyone apart from me, has an HPI Venture? I bought one a few weeks ago to keep my TRX-4 company and I must say it's a cracking thing out of the box. Wanted to be a bit different from your Axials and GMades.

Spec wise, I bought the RTR model (would have bought the kit but you can't get an FJ body anywhere at present) which is pretty good straight out the box. The stock motor and ESC work very well. Despite that, I swapped the motor out for a Holmes Hobbies CrawlMaster Sport 13T and have a Hobbywing ESC on the way. The stock servo is rubbish so I put a 20KG Power HD in there which is working lovely! I've brought the bumpers in, trimmed the FJ's arches to fit some Hyrax 1.9" tyres and I've got ScalerFab sliders on the sides, other than that, it's as it was for now. I did make a crude light kit for the body. When the clear FJ's are back in stock, I plan on making a decent one as all the lens kits can be had on Shapeways.

IMG_0255.jpeg

IMG_0258.jpeg

IMG_0259.jpeg

• Like 3

I keep getting tempted by these and get so close to pulling the trigger. Same as you to go with the TRX4 I have for a non portal rig. 

I'd also want to get the SBK but you can't find clear bodies as you say and I like the FJ look, but by getting the RTR and then buying front CVD and 4 link rear as upgrades in time. 

I’ve spent a bit of time on mine the past couple of days. Fabricated some bumpers for it that were originally for my old Defender. Also drastically improved the lighting on it. Very happy with the result.

Electrics wise, it’s running a Holmes Hobbies CrawlMaster Sport 12T with a Hobbywing 1080. Brilliant combo, it crawls so well!

78e4596b12c5a6cfabe4b71f9400df5c.jpg

1a7871ee9a33557909a3b7b6f5c5d8f1.jpg

09a41f12a48e3ba53dc6c4e927a6c4aa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Thanks. It was worth the effort of making up some parts to get the pickup body to fit. I have a lexan body I am working on to lose some weight as it is a bit top heavy, but not so bad  to make it undrivable.

Edited by M1tchy

One photo of the chassis. I made up a battery tray as the stock one didn't work with the body.  Also got the wheel well kit, but just used the front part for the same reason.  The shock mounts and cross brace are made from delrin . I have a small milling machine which is ideal for that  kind of stuff although I am thinking of a 3D printer.

Stock shocks with the rear shocks mounted on the link mounts instead of on top of the axles.

Venture chassis.jpg

M1tchy, your Venture looks great!

HPI went into administration a couple of years ago and were then rescued. Parts are on order at all model shops it seems and more and more kits are coming back into stock. I think covid may be slowing things down a bit too.

To be honest, there isn't much to break on a Venture, they seem really strong. I'm just waiting for the clear FJ body to come back into stock.

Thanks willb.

I bought a few spares when I got mine, but that was before HPI went bust. I haven't had to replace anything. The Venture does seem to be a pretty tough truck and it's very capable once set up. 

I haven't tried to get any parts recently. checking online it seems some stuff is available, but needs to be ordered and then wait.  At least HPI are still going as that was my main concern. If the Venture is as reliable as my 2 Vaterra Ascenders, then it won't be much hassle.

Edited by M1tchy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...