• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Maverick Quantum Flux MT XT & XT Plus *page 9

tomr

Kids are having fun with these, when its dry enough!  Nothing broken yet.  

Rear shock springs do not clear the rear upper arms though which I think is poor.  The springs are pushed backwards as they sit against the upper arms as there is not enough clearance.  

I came here to check if anyone else has the same issue but I can clearly see it in the OP's pics too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MooGoCow said:

Kids are having fun with these, when its dry enough!  Nothing broken yet.  

Rear shock springs do not clear the rear upper arms though which I think is poor.  The springs are pushed backwards as they sit against the upper arms as there is not enough clearance.  

I came here to check if anyone else has the same issue but I can clearly see it in the OP's pics too.

Yeah it’s strange that they didn’t use a washer or a spacer to bring them out a bit further .I used alloy spacers when I upgraded the shocks 👍

I've just dropped in a 3mm nut to bring them out a touch but the shock springs are now deformed permanently from being held under pressure so long.

The shocks are pretty naff anyway, can't get them set to stop the chassis bottoming out if dropped from more than a foot and that's with multiple oil weights I've tried, up to 75wt.

May have to upgrade them [emoji1303]

Sent from my DUK-L09 using Tapatalk

Don’t know what oil cocktail was in mine but Out the box the truck was solid,it was like dropping a brick.Virtually no compression in the shocks,I had to change oils before I could run it . 
I mainly run off road so like the suspension soft .

Back end bounced nearly as high as it was dropped from with stock oil in both of the kids Quantum's.

What length shocks are they in the quantum, I think I'm measuring 90mm eye to eye?

Edit: pulled one off the truck and is 100mm not 90mm - now to find a decent upgrade...

Edited by MooGoCow

Just bought one of these, arrived today, I've swapped the radio for my spekky and spaced the rear shocks out replacing the hardware so there's plenty of meat fixing them to the shock towers 

Gotta say I'm impressed overall with this truck. 

Only issue I had out the box was the controller seems to have the wheel on at a dodgy angle, but I'm sure a call to the boys at MS will resolve this easily 

16050471508068577971055754105885.jpg

• Like 2

Also found the threads on the shock rings allow the rings to pop over the shock threads, easy fix, just popped hpi shock clips in and tightened the rings up to them 😎

I was looking for a cheap truck for a mate and have ended up buying one for myself. I have to say so far this is a great little truck. 

Took it out yesterday afternoon for it's first run on 2x 2S 5500 mAh packs - really impressed.  Had a few flips and tumbles but nothing looks bent or broken :) 

Have ordered myself some shock oil as they are way too hard for the way I drive - I like to drive over bumps rather than bouncing over. 

Part-stripped it down last night to have a good look over, noticed a few things:

Centre pinion drive shaft cup grub screw had come loose (on advice from this thread I had checked it before going out) so removed, de-greased and have thread-locked back in place. 

Steering link bar had a lot of play around the bolts - have put some ally shim around the bolts and fixed that. 

Front and rear diff pinion/spur both had the smallest fart of grease - topped it up with a little more.

Front diff seemed to be sealed okay against the skid plate, where as the rear diff was not and showed some dirt ingress (cleaned rear diff + inner casing)

Have smoothed the mating face on the skid plate a bit more (looks like the injection mould pins were 'removed' at the factory, just not that well) and added some vac grease (thickest I have) around the bottom of the diff case's to help stop crud getting in. 

I also noticed that the shocks aren't very well lined up with the arms, will look to sort that too. 

dAj3qCf.jpg

Edited by Big-G

3 minutes ago, Big-G said:

I was looking for a cheap truck for a mate and have ended up buying one for myself. I have to say so far this is a great little truck. 

Took it out yesterday afternoon for it's first run on 2x 2S 5500 mAh packs - really impressed.  Had a few flips and tumbles but nothing looks bent or broken :) 

Have ordered myself some shock oil as they are way too hard for the way I drive - I like to drive over bumps rather than bouncing over. 

Part-stripped it down last night to have a good look over, noticed a few things:

Centre pinion drive shaft cup grub screw had come loose (on advice from this thread I had checked it before going out) so removed, de-greased and have thread-locked back in place. 

Steering link bar had a lot of play around the bolts - have put some ally shim around the bolts and fixed that. 

Front and rear diff pinion/spur both had the smallest fart of grease - topped it up with a little more.

Front diff seemed to be sealed okay against the skid plate, where as the rear diff was not and showed some dirt ingress (cleaned rear diff + inner casing)

[url=https://imgur.com/dAj3qCf][img]http://i.imgur.com/dAj3qCf.jpg?1[/img][/url]

Have smoothed the mating face on the skid plate a bit more (looks like the injection mould pins were 'removed' at the factory, just not that well) and added some vac grease (thickest I have) around the bottom of the diff case's to help stop crud getting in. 

I also noticed that the shocks aren't very well lined up with the arms, will look to sort that too. 

For the money they’re fantastic 👍

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2020 at 10:11, Rubblechops said:

Just got the flux MT for kid 2 for Xmas. Hope it's less hassle than the FTX Outlaw I got for his brother earlier in the year!

It’s actually pretty decent for the £££ 👍 2 s is the sweet spot 

On 03/11/2020 at 19:26, MooGoCow said:

I've just dropped in a 3mm nut to bring them out a touch but the shock springs are now deformed permanently from being held under pressure so long.

The shocks are pretty naff anyway, can't get them set to stop the chassis bottoming out if dropped from more than a foot and that's with multiple oil weights I've tried, up to 75wt.

May have to upgrade them emoji1303.png

Sent from my DUK-L09 using Tapatalk

What shock upgrade should I use as I have bent my 😲

21 hours ago, Ljpcjp said:

Could you send me the link to the upgraded shocks please tomr

Sorry bud I bought them unused from a guy on Facebook 

Just measure your shocks from eyelet to eyelet and have a look on eBay 👍

Hi, I’ve just bought one of these having sold an old nitro car I had years ago! Can I ask if anyone has tried adding the LEDs that use the radio gear to detect which direction the car is going in? Are they any good? And what connections do they use on the radio gear? Is there a specific type this model needs? Thanks!

• Like 1