• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Crawler

Redback

Great to see things are still evolving! I'm pleased to report that my Outlaw is behaving reasonably well lately. Put a good few hours of driving in with very few issues. The serrated wheelnuts have stopped the wheels falling off and i haven't lost any further pins from the driveline. I even seemed to of fixed my transmitter... the aerial was insulation taped up when I got it, I took all that off and heatshrinked it instead and now I have the range I think I should 🙂 The new Bangood transmitter arrived since then but I've not bothered swapping it in yet. I haven't got any replacement shafts for my rear steer yet so not much point now the original Tx is working. 

Only issue I've experienced lately is I've broken 2 front CVDs. Both have snapped the shaft next to the joint, 1 inner, 1 outer. I've got 1 spare left to repair it and I'll be back to looking for parts. Other then that, loving it! Almost got enough spare electronics to build another car now. A higher kV might be the way with this one first though. Some more speed would be good. 

• Like 2

You locked your front diff right? As the g1 transmission doesnt have a slipper, got to keep your eye on your tires and make sure they dont get into a bind as the gear down i would imagine the gear down would snap them like a twig, its still why im so hesitant to lock up mine.

Edited by Redback

• 1 month later...

Hello, back again with more experiments.
Thought i'd change it up a bit, knowing crawler transmissions work, how hard would it be to make my own.
This time R3 of the crawler mod with a home made transmission. Harder than expected but got some working results.
Still can crawl although not as refined as with the gmade transmission.

V1 didnt work as it caused way to much heat on 2s for the gearing being run, shame as it was quick and sounded very smooth.
IMG_20210518_004630.thumb.jpg.2d5ee5fe6688de0556b9c08884d8b662.jpg

IMG_20210518_022857.thumb.jpg.c431440cce76b13aa6f37b1bc32addc6.jpg

v2 was a right bodge, but causes no heat up and works very well.

IMG_20210518_175252.thumb.jpg.4445d9069199d8269ca4f20fb0357b71.jpg

Testing videos v1 then v2

Running Video v2 Mod1

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Great to see your still working on the Outlaw... mines been chucked in a box for months. Last time I took it out the control was very weird. Really intermittent and barely driveable so it got put away... until yesterday! Thought I'd finally get on and install the Dumbo X-6. After some head scratching when I accidentally set the throttle range to barely anything and the car had a mind of its own, I found a really useful youtube video on setting up the Dumbo and after feeling like a Dumbo, all was well. The car was driving lovely again and the range was how I imagined it should be. Easily covers the area we've got to drive in now. Tested up to 100m with no problem.

Had a drive round for a while, lost the prop bolts a couple of times (although I've just been reading back through this thread - I forgot I was double nutting them). Had a minor accident and crashed and broke a front CVD but I thought no bother, I'll just do a bit of drifting instead of bashing... Carried on until I crashed again and snapped the front lower arm 😞 New aluminium arms and rear arm mounts now on order, along with some spare shafts! Going to retry the rear steer as well now I have 6ch to play with.

@Redback One thing I saw you mentioned was changing your steering servo around - here's what I did to gain some space. It does hang out a bit but it's much easier to work on.

Have you looked at 3D printing any parts?

OneDrive 27 Apr 2023.zip

IMG20230427102322.jpg

IMG20230427102330.jpg

IMG20230427102342.jpg

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 27/04/2023 at 10:33, Eclipsed4ever said:

Great to see your still working on the Outlaw... mines been chucked in a box for months. Last time I took it out the control was very weird. Really intermittent and barely driveable so it got put away... until yesterday! Thought I'd finally get on and install the Dumbo X-6. After some head scratching when I accidentally set the throttle range to barely anything and the car had a mind of its own, I found a really useful youtube video on setting up the Dumbo and after feeling like a Dumbo, all was well. The car was driving lovely again and the range was how I imagined it should be. Easily covers the area we've got to drive in now. Tested up to 100m with no problem.

Had a drive round for a while, lost the prop bolts a couple of times (although I've just been reading back through this thread - I forgot I was double nutting them). Had a minor accident and crashed and broke a front CVD but I thought no bother, I'll just do a bit of drifting instead of bashing... Carried on until I crashed again and snapped the front lower arm 😞 New aluminium arms and rear arm mounts now on order, along with some spare shafts! Going to retry the rear steer as well now I have 6ch to play with.

@Redback One thing I saw you mentioned was changing your steering servo around - here's what I did to gain some space. It does hang out a bit but it's much easier to work on.

Have you looked at 3D printing any parts?

OneDrive 27 Apr 2023.zipUnavailable

IMG20230427102322.jpg

IMG20230427102330.jpg

IMG20230427102342.jpg

Thats epic mate, love seeing the gmade gearbox there. Hows it holding up?
Not sure if could run the servo like that as we run larger 2.2 tires.

As for the lads outlaw, the counter gear set finally gave up, but only due to a bearing dying, the gears never wore out.
20231104_212924.jpg?ex=65592ccf&is=6546b
These bearings are tiny and i dont think they were ever replaced.
Either way, very satisfied with the endurance of the gears on a 4600kv motor over 2 years of harduse and at least 100miles+ of trailing, mudding, swimming and crawling is really outstanding.
Popped the spare gmadegearbox in and back into the mud and rivers 😄

A slipper clutch would probably be best for this size of truck, the Axial Yeti is the same size and has a slipper.

I have printed parts for the other trucks, i havent printed any for the outlaw, my parts wouldnt hold up to the punishment.

• 3 months later...