• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

How Garry races with one hand (modding radios)

Garry

35 minutes ago, Nick said:

Some great R&D!

Do you need the left hand side of that controller? Is it unnecessary weight you can remove?

The left gimbal (throttle stick)is disconnected so its purely for show at the moment, I've got an idea to remove it and blank with a carbon plate in future but they are only 20g-30g so not a huge weight saving. the throttle trim is still mapped to the ET2 switch so exactly as factory, its rarely used so doesn't need moving closer to my thumb. the lower left switch remotely shuts my ESC down at the end of a race so thats gotta stay. the lower silver buttons next to the screen are direct access menu buttons. The whole radio is actually pretty light as I power it with a 2s LiPo, its only 725g.

Probably not, I race indoors on carpet which is very clean. Away from the track it lives in a padded bag so its well protected from nasties. It'd be very simple to brush on a coat of Plastidip over the exposed electrical bits though. But I am pretty lazy  😄

Edited by Garry

Well at my local club I stepped up  my performances moving from the Noble to EX2. A solid 5-7 places higher. I was able to find my lines more cleanly like I wasn't fighting the car  as I had been previously. I'm hoping a similar improvement again now, I'll probably never be one of the quick ones here as we have national A-finalists at the club but i'll be happy to move into the top 25 eventually at thew club, I l'm just inside the top 40.

Edited by Garry
  • Like 1

What a great read. Good to see that you have not let it stop you doing what you love.

And it's great that you have the skills to build something that makes it easier for you.

I've know 2 drivers with one hand across my 36 years in RC, one used an aircraft radio for racing, and the other is a crawler guy, and just uses a clamp on the wheel to allow easier thumb use.  While it allows them to carry on doing the hobby, they always looked like compromises, your idea looks like a real fix.

There's nothing on the market designed for people like me, the market for equipment is tiny so its just not cost effective for a manufacturer to create a product suitable for disability especially when every disability is different, my hemiplegia  would cause different challenges if I were affected on the opposite side, probably a bigger hurdle to overcome. Adapting something is much easier than starting from scratch.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Garry said:

There's nothing on the market designed for people like me, the market for equipment is tiny so its just not cost effective for a manufacturer to create a product suitable for disability especially when every disability is different, my hemiplegia  would cause different challenges if I were affected on the opposite side, probably a bigger hurdle to overcome. Adapting something is much easier than starting from scratch.

maybe you should patent it ?

• 2 weeks later...