• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Best value transmitter?? Advice please.

Fat Freddy

Hi folks,

Due to budgetary constraints, when I bought my most recent transmitter I was forced to buy the cheapest I could find. (£26 inc receiver)  It does ..O.K.. but it really is cheap and nasty and I’d really like to get something a little better. 

Trouble is, I still don’t have much to spend on one, and as I’ve been away from RC for so long and SO much has changed, (transmitters and receivers had crystals when I was into RC the first time round!) I have no idea what’s considered good and what’s not.

I am looking for something around £50-60 but could go higher if there is a “must-have” option.

I will consider used and will also be posting a wanted ad on here.

It will mainly be used for crawling. 

I don’t need whistles and bell but an extra channel or two for lights etc would be useful. 

SO.... Is there a go-to brand for reliable, well made kit at a reasonable (cheap) price?

cheers

Fred

Edited by Fat Freddy

I use a GT3C which is 3 channel by default but has a custom firmware you can load to get it up to 8 channels if you really need to. The early ones had some power switch issues but neither of mine have had a problem so far. Its not everyone's cup of tea but has work well for me on my crawlers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LITEBEE-Flysky-Control-Transmitter-Receiver/dp/B07DNBD7ZH/ref=sr_1_2

Oh and they are around £50 including 1x3 channel receiver

Edited by CarlC
  • Like 2

GT3C is good, but £50 for it is too much when a GT5 is £65.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-gt5-6ch-2-4ghz-afhds-2a-surface-radio-w-gt5-receiver.html?queryID=b4f31ca93ebbfd07a1ef0b8bbb7c3b6c&objectID=78322&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

6 Channel out of the box without faffing around with custom firmwares and losing functionality on buttons, comes with a gyro receiver - though the gyro isn't really necessary for crawlers. Still better to have it than not, more options.

If you can get a GT3C for a reasonable price and are okay with 3 channels, i got mine a while back for £30 new on.. i wanna say banggood, could've been aliexpress or some other china shop. I'd take a £30 GT3C over a £65 GT5 for a crawler if budget is an issue - but at only £15 cheaper, nah.

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, CarlC said:

I use a GT3C which is 3 channel by default but has a custom firmware you can load to get it up to 8 channels if you really need to. The early ones had some power switch issues but neither of mine have had a problem so far. Its not everyone's cup of tea but has work well for me on my crawlers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LITEBEE-Flysky-Control-Transmitter-Receiver/dp/B07DNBD7ZH/ref=sr_1_2

Oh and they are around £50 including 1x3 channel receiver

19 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

GT3C is good, but £50 for it is too much when a GT5 is £65.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-gt5-6ch-2-4ghz-afhds-2a-surface-radio-w-gt5-receiver.html?queryID=b4f31ca93ebbfd07a1ef0b8bbb7c3b6c&objectID=78322&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

6 Channel out of the box without faffing around with custom firmwares and losing functionality on buttons, comes with a gyro receiver - though the gyro isn't really necessary for crawlers. Still better to have it than not, more options.

Thanks @CarlC, looks good but I reckon @m4inbrain might be right. Looks worth the extra £15.

If I don’t get any better suggestions, that’s the way I’m jumping.

thanks fellas 👍

• Like 2

Just now, heavyDT said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164214059827

£58.99 or best offer plus free shipping

So might be able to get one a bit cheaper still?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Should've probably checked.

The GT5 comes branded as a Turnigy GT5, and a FlySky GT5. 

It's the same radio, but yours (obviously) is cheaper and free delivery, so better choice. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fat Freddy said:

Thanks @CarlC, looks good but I reckon @m4inbrain might be right. Looks worth the extra £15.

If I don’t get any better suggestions, that’s the way I’m jumping.

thanks fellas 👍

Yeah you're right. The GT5 is a great deal, didn't work for me as I needed 7 channels for my TRX-4 including winch and lights. If I could have gone 6 channel, I would have gone GT5 too.

• Like 1

I have the radiolink rc6gs and it's a bit above budget at £70 but it has the most features of any radio at this price point.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, CarlC said:

Yeah you're right. The GT5 is a great deal, didn't work for me as I needed 7 channels for my TRX-4 including winch and lights. If I could have gone 6 channel, I would have gone GT5 too.

That's the reason i didn't get a GT5 as well - i went with the FlySky Noble for my TRX4 though.

• Like 1

The Flysky NB4 Noble is hard to beat. Colour touchscreen, mappable buttons and left handed mode, powerbank base and not expensive. 

Edited by Garry
  • Like 1