• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What shock oil are you using

If its bouncy and retains ride height without much preload then that is because the springs are stiffer than the rate of the oil. To make better use of the shocks up the weight. If however you are finding you do not get full travel and there is nowt binding then you require lighter springs. Bare in mind that all this will need some break in time so get a few hrs on it first...

• Like 2

Ok that makes sense.  Right now, if I lift the front wheel up, the rear tyre will lift off the ground before the shock reaches max travel. Although the trx is almost a month old now and havent gotten out much due to lockdown. Could the stock springs break in better?? I'm open to grabbing some new springs anyway, always like to experiment with setups etc

Stiff springs or binding 👍

I don’t know the open length of the trx springs to comment on others. But one would hope that you could reach max articulation with the stock gear. 

Dont forget though that if you get in a bind or hit a large obstacle there is a chance that you would reach full articulation under that additional pressure which in that scenario the stiffer spring helps... 

You still haven’t mentioned what your usage is. If general then I’d first try some thicker oil, then a spring rate less if that doesn’t help. If Crawling only then drop a couple rates but bare in mind it’s a relatively heavy truck.... 

Have fun!! 

• Like 1

Cheers guys. Main use is gna be general bumpy trail with average rock climbing, not Mount Everest style like some of you guys 😅

I've got some springs on order from modelsport to try for now, front 0.30 (stock is 0.45) and rear 0.39 (stock is 0.54). We'll see how it goes and I'll update, 1 part is back order though so wont get them for few week maybe

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so, after fitting these and having an hour with them, there now too soft I think. Having to use alot of preload to maintain a decent ride height. Moving fast across bumpy terrain is really nice, but when it comes to climbing, the tyre constantly runs along the inner arches

Think I'm gna go back a spring rate and see what happens.

Good to hear you have been experimenting. Remind me, this jump in rate - was that to their softest offering ? And were there others between stock and this?.

If it’s close to what you want, you could try stretching the spring a little or put a permanent preload spacer in place.

As to rubbing, this is something that can happen when we can now gain our full articulation a lot easier. One non invasive thing you could do is run an external limiter on the shaft - this is something we often do for minimising articulation as believe it or not it can often hamper performance. I usually use a bit of rubber tube or some of the limiters I have spare that come with shocks sometimes.... 

Give it a try! And if not then order a slightly stiffer rate 👍

The rate was 2 stages softer on both shocks, I'll try stretching them abit and see what happens. Although I fear I may over stretch lol. We'll see. Never thought of limiting the articulation. But that + the default sag it has wouldn't give much travel I assume. Unless the rubber tube would be "spongy"??? Is that the kind of stuff you mean 

I might aswell grab a set of springs 1 stage stiffer and see. There cheap enough. Also I've attached a chart from traxxas with the rates

20200531_160825.jpg

This sort of thing:

image.thumb.jpg.a5dc56a71a50de9c07e15c7cf8b39a9a.jpg

Just take bottom eye off, slip it on and hey presto.... You don’t need much - probably 4mm max - depends by how much it’s rubbing, and remember that even with a stiffer rate if you got in a bind you will rub again... 

With regards to how much articulation - you really don’t want that much for pure crawling. And for fast trailing I doubt you’ll notice 4mm  max loss.

That said, due to the jump in rate it may just be that the offering in the middle will be a better compromise for you. 

For info, I have actually limited my entire travel on my Toyzuki chassis - pics will be up later re that....  ( But this is 80% crawl).... 

• Like 2

I see what you mean now, I think there called "rubber olives". Might be able to get some from work. I assume Zip ties could also do the same job too?? If the end was chopped off

Cheers stimpy

2 hours ago, Bushmonkey said:

I see what you mean now, I think there called "rubber olives". Might be able to get some from work. I assume Zip ties could also do the same job too?? If the end was chopped off

Cheers stimpy

Any rubber pipe would do and yes you could use zip ties to start with but ideally a compressive sort of material will be better so it doesn’t ‘hard’ bottom out 👍

• 2 years later...