• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Gmade Komodo Double Cab GS02- Kit Build

PraetoR

Hello all,

Just took delivery (FINALLY) of my new kit- the Komodo Double Cab :D

Plan is to build this up, over this week. Eventually spraying the bodyshell dark, metallic red, as per the GS01 Komodo boxart.

Equipment used:

ESC- Hobbywing Quicrun 1080WP.

Because it's fully waterproof, has a drag-brake mode and can take a 3s lipo.

Motor- Yeah Racing Hackmoto V2 35t brushed.

I reckon this will give a good balance of slow-speed control, torque and wheel speed.

Radio System- Flysky FS-GT3B.

I swore never, ever to buy another one of these; after a failure (sudden lack of range) caused a full-speed runaway and a wrecked truck! However, this is a crawler... it's not going to get far! Plus, it's very good spec, for the money.

Servo- JX Servo DC5821LV

Fully waterproof, digital, metal gears, 20kg.

Also got a Komodo light kit, for front and rear light buckets. Running the truck 3s.

Only thing I'm disappointed with so far are the wheels. Would like some nice beadlocks; preferably steel. However, they all seem a bit over-priced and I don't want to order from China, as this truck took 3 weeks to arrive! So I might just get the plastic beadlocks that came with the GS01 Komodo, as they look pretty good. Unless anyone has any other suggestions? Must be black.

Oh, also... I bought the snorkel!

Because, snorkel.

Cheers!

:good:

20200427_173639.thumb.jpg.c852eb5d3dba630000f56986805a7b0d.jpg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, monkeyboy_uk said:

The quality of these kits is something else. I am really impressed with mine. I have the cage back version. It has the quietest transmission I have never heard :D

That sounds perfect! :good:

A little bit of progress made; just finished assembling the front axle.

Words that cross my mind, when assembling this truck, are "Substantial" and "hefty".

20200428_144821.thumb.jpg.324adc5a508139b7e6bc052f4071ad95.jpg

Yeah, I'm not the neatest RC builder!

20200428_145602.thumb.jpg.f41d02d1c44fb0d0b7b9f406a430687a.jpg

If I had any "complaints" so far, it would be that snapping-off parts from the parts trees ALWAYS leaves a burr! More so than even the old Tamiya TL-01 kit. Not a problem, just annoying.

Apart from that, I'm enjoying what I've done, so far. :good:

SSD Steel beadlocks are about as cheap as you'll get in the UK from RCbitz but 60 quid for all four is a lot for stamped steel. Thre's nothing wrong with plastic beadlocks anyway, rotating mass isn't healthy anyway.

14 minutes ago, mond said:

SSD Steel beadlocks are about as cheap as you'll get in the UK from RCbitz but 60 quid for all four is a lot for stamped steel. Thre's nothing wrong with plastic beadlocks anyway, rotating mass isn't healthy anyway.

I agree. I don't want to put any extra strain on any of the drive components.

I never found any steel beadlocks which were what I consider reasonably priced, anyway. So I ordered the plastic beadlock wheels from the GS-01, this morning. They will sit 1.5mm further out, which is nothing.

55 minutes ago, PraetoR said:

If I had any "complaints" so far, it would be that snapping-off parts from the parts trees ALWAYS leaves a burr! More so than even the old Tamiya TL-01 kit. Not a problem, just annoying.

Use side cutters, cuts off neatly 

• Like 1

Built the transmission, today.

In stark contrast to the rear axle, the gearbox is buttery smooth! It's a thing of beauty!

It's easily one of the slickest RC gearboxes I've ever come across; it feels almost as if there were no cogs inside, just bearings.

Very impressed. :D

20200430_132919.thumb.jpg.329dc01b24c5c31ffd0f3a264127ef63.jpg

• Like 1

Worked on the chassis, today.

It fought me a little bit, because the gearbox mount is just floating at the moment (links screw into it). When I started to screw the suspension mounts etc tighter, however, it all pulled into line.

20200502_163940.thumb.jpg.43165ed92056bd20b756ec65402de346.jpg

While building it, it struck me how well thought-out this chassis is. Probably, all high-grade crawler RCs are, by this point. It's just I've never built one!

• Like 2

Looking great, I will be interesting to see what you think of it once you have it finished. Looks very good quality.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomr said:

Is it nice to build?  I have the Bom kit on its way ,The only kits I've ever built have been  the basic Tamiya kits so this a step up on the old difficulty level .

Mostly. I've found an issue with the input universal joint that I'm using on the rear axle. This might also be the cause of the slightly rougher action of the rear axle.

Anyway, the universal joint seems to have come out of manufacturing imperfect (some rough patches, bits sticking out a little, non-straight edges), and is binding the driveshaft. It was completely locked-up and unusable, but I've spent a while filing, sanding and drilling the imperfections away. It's nearly there.

Apart from that, the kit has been lovely to build. I assume my issue is a one-off. I've found no other evidence of this, online. Neither with Komodo, nor Bom.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomr said:

Is it nice to build?  I have the Bom kit on its way ,The only kits I've ever built have been  the basic Tamiya kits so this a step up on the old difficulty level .

Not wishing to spam someone’s build thread but the Bom is a capable fun rig . Enjoy it! 

• Like 2

Motor mounted up.

There's a nice touch, where the motor-mount has each mounting hole numbered, corresponding to the size of the pinion. That way, you just use the two that are appropriate and the pinion & spur mesh will be bang-on, with no fuss.

20200504_195423.thumb.jpg.0f21b747adfd93bfab194a02acce405b.jpg

1 hour ago, PraetoR said:

Mostly. I've found an issue with the input universal joint that I'm using on the rear axle. This might also be the cause of the slightly rougher action of the rear axle.

Anyway, the universal joint seems to have come out of manufacturing imperfect (some rough patches, bits sticking out a little, non-straight edges), and is binding the driveshaft. It was completely locked-up and unusable, but I've spent a while filing, sanding and drilling the imperfections away. It's nearly there.

Apart from that, the kit has been lovely to build. I assume my issue is a one-off. I've found no other evidence of this, online. Neither with Komodo, nor Bom.

Sounds like a one off. Both my axles and transmission are smooth.

• Like 1

Discovered something very disappointing.

The input universal joint that's causing me grief didn't just have slightly dodgy manufacturing... it's actually the wrong one! Must be from a different model.

It's very subtle, but comparing it with the other; the base is thicker, the slot is slightly different and it's probably an overall different size/shape. No wonder I can't get it to work!

I've ordered one (at an extortionate rate, I may add!) and I'll contact Gmade.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1