• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New console... but which one?

bertberr

Greetings all, need some advice re a games console for my 11 yr old lad.  He currently has an xbox 360 which he likes, but all his mates have xbox Ones and apparently he can't do 2 player (online?) games with them because his 360 doesn't talk to the Ones.  So, I thought well just get an xbox one and be done with it, but then I realised there's not just one...but loads of different versions, so a bit confused there?

But also, I've read that there's an all new xbox due out later this year, so would buying a One now, at full rrp (from say Currys) be a bit of a no no - could we expect to see One prices fall significantly later in the year once the all new xbox is out, or do you think the One will carry on alongside the new one as a stand alone (cheaper) option, bit like iphone 5S/C situation?

Any thoughts please from you experienced console guys, as I have no interest in them and therefore no knowledge either :confused:

The XBOX One S 1TB is the current version which can be had with different game bundles for about £250. They also do a digital edition for £199 which doesn't have a disk drive. I would avoid this one as you won't be able to buy used games.

Is it worth hanging on for the new XBOX? That depends if your lad would enjoy the XBOX One S in the meantime or would be happy to wait. The XBOX Series X comes out in November (assuming there are no delays). Also the first stocks could sell out quickly. It is rumoured to have a launch price of £500 ish.

Prices with inevitably fall on the XBOX One. There is always an overlap on the console generations so it won't be obsolete as soon as the new one launches.

• 4 weeks later...

CEX is good too, I traded my wife's phone in & walked out with an xbox one & a load of games, plus it has a years warranty- only downside is they don't tend to clean them, they just test them, mine was manky AF.

but very cheap with warranty can't be beat.

2 hours ago, Bigjimknickers said:

CEX is good too, I traded my wife's phone in & walked out with an xbox one & a load of games, plus it has a years warranty- only downside is they don't tend to clean them, they just test them, mine was manky AF.

but very cheap with warranty can't be beat.

Hope you told her beforehand. :D

Just remember that you can fill the 1tb harddrive up quite quick if you do a lot of gaming - the latest call of duty takes a whopping 180gb of storage, Forza took 60gb and GTA 90gb!

thats a fair chunk - factor in a external harddrive, mines a 2tb seagate one, works wonders!

Worth checking sites likes pricerunner before buying games, some bargains to be had!

J