• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and shareย all things R/C!

Do I need to watch discharge rate on lipos running Ezerun max 10 60amp ESC

Richbogle

As title I plan ordering some lipo battery's 2day, jst wondering on the whole discharge rate again as I am not clue'd up on the numbers. If the Max10 is 60amp what is the highest discharge rate I can use as the higher the number the better right? Can you run too hight a number for your ESC? any input explanations much apreciated as always guys ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘Œ

As you said, the higher discharge rating on the battery the better, you can't go too high. The numbers you need to watch is that the motor is pulling more amps than the esc or battery can provide.ย 

With 60amps anything over 20c with a 3000mah lipo, 15c with 4000mah etc.ย will be fine in theory. In theory my lipos should be goosedย as they are 'only' 30c 4000mah lipos used on a 160esc but they're absolutely fine.

ย 

Edited by Nickarla

14 minutes ago, Nickarla said:

In theory my lipos should be goosedย as they are 'only' 30c 4000mah lipos used on a 160esc but they're absolutely fine.

ย 

ย 

That would only be an issue if the motor is pulling more 150a.

18 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

ย 

That would only be an issue if the motor is pulling more 150a.

I have never had an issue. When I researched this I remember reading about all sorts of discrepancies over true c ratings and that in reality the motor draw in a rcย car is highly unlikely to get anywhere near the limit of even a low c rated LiPo.

1 hour ago, Nickarla said:

I have never had an issue. When I researched this I remember reading about all sorts of discrepancies over true c ratings and that in reality the motor draw in a rcย car is highly unlikely to get anywhere near the limit of even a low c rated LiPo.

ย 

I've burst packs rated to 240 Amps continuous, so you can overload them.ย 

Interesting. What set up were you using? Could there have been any other factors involved?

My lipos are Zippy 30c 4000mah used with a 4092 1400kv Tomcat motor and HWย Max6 esc with 12t pinion on a Hyper ST Pro.

ย 

I remember when I bought them I was concerned that the lipos were under par having miscalculated the discharge rating.ย I researched the technical aspect extensively and found that the amp draw from the motor is, in reality, unlikely to get anywhere near the esc and LiPo limits. As mentioned I carried on and hadnโ€™t thought anything of it. Never had particularly warm lipos. All cells are healthy and no puffing in sight. If anything the only thing that gets warm is the motor (51c degrees is the highest Iโ€™ve got).

Max5, Leopard 780kv 58110 motor. Cells were the Zippy 8000 30C bricks I've used for years in the Baja.ย 

ย 

However, this was in a 5ive (KM X2) which is heavy. Definitely wasn't over-geared, but can't remember which pinion was on it.ย 

Did this happen with several lipos or just the one? Could it have been defective?

Niceย set up. I bet you werenโ€™t happy when those batteries went. 1/8 is probably the largest scale for me. Anything else is tooย darn expensive.ย ๐Ÿ˜†

One burst, the other puffed. Immediately switched back to the 520kv which is better suited to the size and weight of the 5ive platform.ย 

ย 

The cells had been fine from new, was the just too much for them in that car with that motor.ย 

ย 

Yes, wasn't best pleased, but these things happen.ย 

Interesting reading folks and thanx for your time. So I will be OK with the likes of a 50C with the 60Amp Max 10 ESC? Only recently getting bk in2 RC at the age of 34. Raced cars as a teenager and still have all my old stuff. Times have changed to say the least lol

Yes, assuming your battery isn't too low capacity/mah. Although a 30c would be fine and cheaper if you're using a lipo over 2000mah. (2a x 30c = 60)

...but as mentionedย  above I take all of this with a pinch of salt.

9 minutes ago, Nickarla said:

Zippy is what I always try to buy first. I have a load ofย their hardcase 6000mah 35cย lipos and they have been fantastic. Overlander are good but overpriced.

ย  Basicly I'm running the hobbywing Max10 ESC with the 3652 3300kv motor. I was looking at 3s lipos, should I be? Like 4000mah 3s 50c.ย  I'm I looking at stuff that won't do the job?ย ย 

Thats the escย I have as well.ย 

ย 

Those lipos will be more than fine. There is aย  lot of room for error with that.ย  As mentioned I run 4000mah with 30c on a 160a Max6 esc! If it was me and the 50c over a 30c lipo was not much in cost I would go for 50c. If the price difference was more noticable then I would get the 30c, you wouldn't notice any difference.

Edited by Nickarla

Thanx for the help Nickarla. So just double checking if I had to get a 3s lipo roughly 4500-5000mah (as wld like to last longer am I correct?) with say 40ish C that wld be a good battery to get? Still getting new to this. Jst didn't want to get a battery that wld nacker the ESC which as I said 60A max10?ย 

9 hours ago, Nickarla said:

That would be more than fine, yes.

Whatย car is it for out of interest?

ย It's a tamiya neo scorcher tt02b. I know not that best car to be running alot of power but its jst for bashing around and abit of fun.ย 

Lol we will see. Seen a couple of builds. Another question I just come on the now there to ask, what kind of run times are expected from the likes of say a 2000mah battery and like a 4-5000mah? When I see a batter with only like 2000mah I kina just skip past it as I think, well that run time must be pants compared to 4000mah?? Askn this as I am still looking at battery's! Was just bout to order a Zippy 5000mah 40c 3s but jst noticed its too long for the car, its like 15-16 cm long, so bk to drawing board. Looking at turnigy again and possibly outlander as they are size I need.ย 

I've never had a Tamiya but the FTXย Carnage gives me 1hour from a 6000mah 2s zippy lipo, driving with a mixture of offroading and fast full speed/hard acceleration. Iย  haven't tried anything lower accept forย my 6s lipos which are 4000mah but that's a totally different ball game withย the cars they are used on.

ย