• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Arrma Outcast 4s owners thread.

Oh How Original

1 minute ago, stimpy said:

Hehe..... Not mentioning any names!

Personally I think 70wt with standard springs will be too hard. Great for landing off big height but poop for anything else!. I got 50wt in mine currently and still find the rear a tad slow but so much better for take off.

I noticed on one of your pics that the under protector / locator piece had come apart - not sure if this is the impact that killed it, but if not, without that piece in place properly there will be extra load on that chassis to bulkhead joint.

Well I know stock they are 40/45wt, mine is very bouncy, it feels thinner.

I may see how the 70 goes, and thin it down a tad to around 60.

I do send it big, so it needs the extra help.. With the power it's got and the short wheelbase, it's never going to be a racer, I want it for jumps.

Yeah, it did break, I just didn't notice it when bashing, only in the pictures afterwards.

1 minute ago, Oh How Original said:

Well I know stock they are 40/45wt, mine is very bouncy, it feels thinner.

I may see how the 70 goes, and thin it down a tad to around 60.

I do send it big, so it needs the extra help.. With the power it's got and the short wheelbase, it's never going to be a racer, I want it for jumps.

Yeah, it did break, I just didn't notice it when bashing, only in the pictures afterwards.

Cool man.

It is odd, as I would have put the standard oil at 30/35wt, I was shocked when someone said otherwise, unless mine was a Friday job. Feels insanely different on 50wt. I did try the Granite on 70wt ages ago and it was poop, went back to 50 iirc on that too. 

All that said, different manufacturers oil definitely feels different.....

Righto... best get on and finish this Capra I have downstairs.....

3 minutes ago, stimpy said:

Cool man.

It is odd, as I would have put the standard oil at 30/35wt, I was shocked when someone said otherwise, unless mine was a Friday job. Feels insanely different on 50wt. I did try the Granite on 70wt ages ago and it was poop, went back to 50 iirc on that too. 

All that said, different manufacturers oil definitely feels different.....

Righto... best get on and finish this Capra I have downstairs.....

Yeah, to my hand, it feels similar to the 30wt in my crawlers.

Bare in mind, the Granite is a fair bit lighter than the Outcast if I remember rightly?

But yeah, I only use Team Associated oils, the quality is excellent, not sure how the viscosity compares to others.

Edited by Oh How Original

Here’s my pics without the body.  But basically it will just look like a Kraton with bigger wheels! 

I studied the parts diagram that came with the truck to work out what bits I needed. 

Bit more space now :-). Note the longer brace.

5EEF98C4-EBE9-4221-8A2B-C135A9F6609E.thumb.jpeg.499ad69ea33aff9b9ebdf3c25ac4303c.jpeg

Nice and shiny!

D99A9315-1C3D-4BAA-B31F-F764FF379A5B.thumb.jpeg.282e3205ac579107ef0b622306a0d79c.jpeg

Kraton side dirt keeper outerers!!

B6AC6BB8-0BA4-48B6-A221-5CEE020B2E23.thumb.jpeg.919c0487157f81507b34547f3c8a9f1c.jpeg

For update; I have now tested the truck out in the street and set up a ridiculously steep jump over my front wall :-0 and I can confirm the truck is much more maneagable now with the longer wheelbase .

Still need to go out some time and try some larger airs and rotations as this is where I will gain the most benefit from what I was after. 

I will also have a further play with the geometry, perhaps a little more front camber. 

Have fun folks!. 

Can I be in the club?

mine arrived today (used), firstly the size of it is very impressive (reminds me of the 1/10 e-revo/summit).

i have briefly looked into these, basically Arrma as a brand and also trucks produced, I originally had my eye on the 6s truggy but saw this and job done.

i have a few questions I’d like to ask,

first off is the wheel hubs, can a more traditional 17mm hex set-up be used?

also I’d like to get on a stock of hub bearings, does anyone happen to have the sizes to hand? (Don’t have a build manual)

where is the best place for spares (other than Modelsport  of course) I’d like to have some of the spares that wear like body posts, shock rebuild kits and also looking for a esc case too if that’s possible

last question is, can I now use any 17mm hex wheel, such as maybe big joes or big trenchers?? Kinda goes with the conventional hubs.

looking forward to having a blast with it (sadly don’t have any ec5 connectors to hand)

thanks in advance guys :good:

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Gaz! said:

Can I be in the club?

mine arrived today (used), firstly the size of it is very impressive (reminds me of the 1/10 e-revo/summit).

i have briefly looked into these, basically Arrma as a brand and also trucks produced, I originally had my eye on the 6s truggy but saw this and job done.

i have a few questions I’d like to ask,

first off is the wheel hubs, can a more traditional 17mm hex set-up be used?

also I’d like to get on a stock of hub bearings, does anyone happen to have the sizes to hand? (Don’t have a build manual)

where is the best place for spares (other than Modelsport  of course) I’d like to have some of the spares that wear like body posts, shock rebuild kits and also looking for a esc case too if that’s possible

last question is, can I now use any 17mm hex wheel, such as maybe big joes or big trenchers?? Kinda goes with the conventional hubs.

looking forward to having a blast with it (sadly don’t have any ec5 connectors to hand)

thanks in advance guys :good:

I'm not aware of any conversion for proper 17mm axles and wheel nuts, I looked into it myself, but the stock set up is actually pretty beefy and I've had no problems with it.

MakeItBuildIt are good for bits, although everyone is having stock issues at the moment, so it's really a case of shopping around or maybe RCmart?

You can use any 17mm hex wheel, the wheelnut compensates for the larger diameter hole in the wheels.

Hope that helps and welcome to the club.

• Like 1

Hey up Gaz! You're guaranteed a giggle thats for sure!..

Re hexes, I believe there may be a way using the 3S Typhon hubs - this was certainly done to quite a few of the other 3s models... But not sure on actual sizes...

• Like 1

Cheers mate. :good:

at the moment I’m awaiting 2 shock rebuild kits, ec5 connectors and some bearings for the hubs before I can get that far.... :banghead:

I’ll have a look at those models and see if I can work it out, it’s if one of the original wheel nuts gets lost them I’m buggered again.

Just buy some spare wheelnuts Gaz? Although I've not heard any problems with them coming off and none of mine have ever worked loose either.

I will admit it was slightly annoying not just having a proper 17mm hub design, because I had to buy an 8mm nut wrench just for this truck, but it's worth it in the long run.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got out with the LWB Outcast today!!... 

Over at the Forest of Dean riding and found this sweet path / road gap.... Had to be flipped!.. 

spacer.png

Late flip as I was just trying to get the most height out of a relatively knackered take off! Managed a fronty in the end also but needed much is speed!! 

spacer.png

Picture of the boys hideous trainers! Oh, and the Outcast!!... 

• 5 weeks later...

Was just browsing some of the major RC store sites and noticed none of the Outcasts are listed anymore. 

Do you think they are now discontinued? 

On 27/06/2020 at 14:11, AndyBell said:

Was just browsing some of the major RC store sites and noticed none of the Outcasts are listed anymore. 

Do you think they are now discontinued? 

Outcast 4s & 6s is discontinued, but the Notorious 6s (sane as Outcast bar the shell) is alive and well and getting more expensive by the day....

On 02/07/2020 at 00:19, RcBEN9 said:

Outcast 4s & 6s is discontinued, but the Notorious 6s (sane as Outcast bar the shell) is alive and well and getting more expensive by the day....

Certainly surprised if that’s true as I’ve found it a great platform. That said, I did convert mine to LWB to get the most out of it so perhaps folk found it too frenetic and the sales reflected it.. 

Be interesting to see what they bring out instead.... 

35 minutes ago, AndyBell said:

Outcast 8s......

The trouble is that it just isn’t a replacement for a 1/10 scale truck. 

Loads of folk will get an 8S, razz it full speed For a bit, maybe into a wall then just sell it on... zzzzzzz

But I guess that’s where the market is at the mo... 

1 hour ago, stimpy said:

The trouble is that it just isn’t a replacement for a 1/10 scale truck.

I'd imagine there isn't really much of a place in the market for a truck like that, if there was then it probably wouldn't have been discontinued. So there might not even be a direct replacement.

I must admit that larger scale definitely do drive nicer on rougher / larger features. The 1/10 chassis with lots of power can be quite frenetic to drive where the larger units are calmer.. 

That said, down the skatepark where I will mostly bash then 1/8 really is the limit without killing others. Even those are overpowered really for that application I find - certainly need that low end torque for aerial moves but the top end is wasted .