• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Team Associated Rival MT10 owners.

Oh How Original

On 28/12/2022 at 15:40, DannyP said:

Ordered one of these from Modelsport this morning, threw some RPM A-Arms in the basket as well. Will replace the arms when they break. Already looking at a new combo and servo for it. Will run it stock for a while.

Will be going up against my sons Granite and Vorteks that they got for christmas. Maybe I'll have it in my hands tomorrow?

Apart from doing the ESC brake trick, anything else I should look out for?

You'll be best ordering a set of hinge pins and change them as you change arms (we've only done 1 on each of our 2 mt10s in almost a year of use)

The servo is fragile so have one to hand,

Wheel nuts swap them out for nylocks and ditch the hub caps

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Fred barlow said:

You'll be best ordering a set of hinge pins and change them as you change arms (we've only done 1 on each of our 2 mt10s in almost a year of use)

The servo is fragile so have one to hand,

Wheel nuts swap them out for nylocks and ditch the hub caps

Next time I order from MS I'll throw some hinge pins in the basket.

I see there is quite a few different new brands for servos whilst having a browse through the forum, been away from Rc for a good couple of years.

I'll make a decision on one and get it ordered.

I've got some nyloc nuts for the wheels and will add a little blue threadlock as well.

I came across this combo when I was rummaging through the loft.

spacer.png 

Suitable?

1 hour ago, DannyP said:

I see there is quite a few different new brands for servos whilst having a browse through the forum, been away from Rc for a good couple of years.

I've got some nyloc nuts for the wheels and will add a little blue threadlock as well.

spacer.png 

Suitable?

Don't see why not. What KV is the motor ?

12 hours ago, DannyP said:

spacer.png 

Suitable?

The combo could be but I'm not up on the castle motor and esc specs

For the servo I just went for the ds3225 25kg waterproof one from eBay, bangood and Amazon for about £15

4 hours ago, Fred barlow said:

The combo could be but I'm not up on the castle motor and esc specs

For the servo I just went for the ds3225 25kg waterproof one from eBay, bangood and Amazon for about £15

Think the ESC is 75amp. Can't remember. Motor is 3800kv 4pole. Will prob just throw it in there and see what happens 🔥

I'll most likely end up with a servo from HiTec as I like those.

spacer.png

Apologies for the potato photos, my phone is knackered but I refuse to buy a new one until it no longer turns on 😁

Had an absolute blast with my boys. Put a couple of packs through the MT10, loads of fun sliding around in the mud.

Had to avoid the jumps as I kept loosing signal. Will have to get a replacement Rx, this one has given me issues before in previous cars.

Overall happy with the truck. Few changes and I'll be super happy with it.

Can't wait to take it out again!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So I pressed the button next to the power switch as I didn't know what it did and now wish I hadn't 😄  I think it resets the transmitter but I have no idea how to set it back and my google fu is not working.  I found a video on youtube on how to do it for an MT8 but that definitely doesn't work or I am doing it wrong, not sure.

Anyone know a link with clear (and idiot proof) instructions on fixing this?  Or can explain with monosyllabic words for me to understand? 😄

I have found that holding the button on the switch and turning the power on makes the ESC beep and have a blinking red light, it is a static red light if I just turn it on.  I can't see anything in the manual about setting this? 

4 hours ago, ridfrenzy said:

So I pressed the button next to the power switch as I didn't know what it did and now wish I hadn't 😄  I think it resets the transmitter but I have no idea how to set it back and my google fu is not working.  I found a video on youtube on how to do it for an MT8 but that definitely doesn't work or I am doing it wrong, not sure.

Anyone know a link with clear (and idiot proof) instructions on fixing this?  Or can explain with monosyllabic words for me to understand? 😄

I have found that holding the button on the switch and turning the power on makes the ESC beep and have a blinking red light, it is a static red light if I just turn it on.  I can't see anything in the manual about setting this? 

Sounds like you've messed up the calibration that's needed between the Tx and the ESC. Recalibration is all that's needed. It'll be in the manual. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody else have issues with the included ESC hitting thermal cutoff?

Been out the last couple of days and I drive for five minutes and I loose power.

The ESC will flash green when I apply throttle. Let it sit for a couple of minutes and it will go again for a few more minutes. Repeat. 

I changed my Rx as I thought it was that because I had issues with it in another model.

Bought brand new Rx, still the same. Tried a different Tx and Rx, still the same.

Bit pants so I'm shopping for a new combo.

On 02/02/2023 at 14:56, ridfrenzy said:

So I am still stuck on this, I can't get any signal from the remote to the car.  I think I have accidentally set the ESC to NiMH mode.  The LED is red on the ESC and the manual does state that it should be green if it is in LiPo mode.  I have followed the instructions which states to just turn on the controller and the ESC and hold the set button in for 4 seconds but this doesn't do anything 😞  I have tried holding the set button in when I turn it on and just turn it on normally and hold for 4 seconds but nothing seems to work.

I am wondering if I am supposed to have a NiMH battery to plug in to the ESC to be able to switch it?  Seems a bit daft that I would but I don't own any to try so thought I would ask for suggestions here first?

image.png.ce57899ba56225e8ddbece685f810e6d.png

@ridfrenzy Holding the button while turning the esc on is often a step towards recalibrating the throttle/brake endpoints so you may well have reset that. Things to try in this instance in order...

Check battery isn't below LVC (storage charge is fine)

Rebind tx/rx (just to be safe) - instructions should be in the manual

Set throttle trim to centre - again the manual if confused

Recalibrate endpoints - guess where to find out how to do this 🙂 

Turn esc off and then on again to ensure calibration is saved

Check the led for lipo/nimh - if you need to change it follow the instructions in your ss - hold the button for 6+ seconds to change it - green = lipo, red = nimh

That's usually the way to fix these kinds of gremlins...failing that if you still can't get things going then try to get a video of you showing the battery voltage and trying to change the lipo/nimh setting.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dtokez said:

Hi guys. New owner, picked up a decent used one today. 

What 3s packs are you guys running yours on? 

Yo dtokez! Just getting back into it or never left? Hope you're well mate. MT10 is my first new Rc in a while.

I've squeezed some old 3s Turnigy 5000mAh in mine. Recently got a pair of HRB's from Amazon while they where on offer.

Seem to perform fine even though they arrived at 2.2v per cell. My brother in law runs Zeee LiPo's also available on Amazon and they seem to work fine for him.

I'll probably buy a pair of Zeee's to try as I need to replace some old LiPo's. Going to switch to all hardcase.

On 19/02/2023 at 17:12, DannyP said:

Yo dtokez! Just getting back into it or never left? Hope you're well mate. MT10 is my first new Rc in a while.

I've squeezed some old 3s Turnigy 5000mAh in mine. Recently got a pair of HRB's from Amazon while they where on offer.

Seem to perform fine even though they arrived at 2.2v per cell. My brother in law runs Zeee LiPo's also available on Amazon and they seem to work fine for him.

I'll probably buy a pair of Zeee's to try as I need to replace some old LiPo's. Going to switch to all hardcase.

Hello mate! Good to see you're about again dude! 

I'm just getting back into it bud, been a good 8 ish years out! 

AH nice one mate. I ordered some 6000mAh HRB packs coming off amazon actually! I hope they fit ok, are yours 6000mAh too? I might try and get some lighter packs too, maybe 4000mAh - I bet the 6000's are going to be chunky!

Any good bash spots around Soton mate? We should hook up for a bash oneday. @Tingting44 is still into the hobby too 🙂

On 19/02/2023 at 18:03, DannyP said:

Little update on my MT10.

Getting the new motor to fit required a little fettling. Motor bolts where ground down to around 4.5mm of thread.

Also the little cover that goes over the spur/pinion needed a little trim to clear the pinion.

Actually had to set the mesh with a piece of paper. Not done that in a long time. Not the best choice of pinion but it works and I've not killed the spur.

20230218_114553.jpg

The motor fits perfectly in the recess.

20230218_114639.jpg

Motor wires are ridiculously long. Reluctant to shorten them incase this combo ends up in a different model.

The Mamba X fits nicely in the chassis. See how long the switch actually works for :lol:

20230218_190244.jpg

20230219_163650.jpg

Combo is super smooth, first sensored system I've had in an off-road Rc. Power = ridiculous! No more waiting for it, it's there instantly.

Not changed much on the ESC setting wise. Upped BEC voltage to 6v, turned brake down to 40%. First run it was at 50% and was nosedive city whilst jumping.

Running a 13T pinion on 3s and it is plenty fast enough. Checked the data logging after first run and ESC max temp was 62c. Motor was 40c.

Chuffed :insane:

Wooaahhh man that's a bad ass combo, big bucks! I bet its a total animal now 😍

2 hours ago, dtokez said:

Hello mate! Good to see you're about again dude! 

I'm just getting back into it bud, been a good 8 ish years out! 

AH nice one mate. I ordered some 6000mAh HRB packs coming off amazon actually! I hope they fit ok, are yours 6000mAh too? I might try and get some lighter packs too, maybe 4000mAh - I bet the 6000's are going to be chunky!

Any good bash spots around Soton mate? We should hook up for a bash oneday. @Tingting44 is still into the hobby too 🙂

I've dipped in and out over the last god knows how many years. MT10 is my first new Rc in a while. Getting back into flying helis as well. Just got a little one to pierce the ground with.

Mine are 7000mAh and fit with plenty room to spare.

My boys got cars for Xmas and just fixed up one for my daughter. Brother in laws also got new cars and so have thier children so loads of us blasting about on the weekends. Last couple of weekends we have been going to a BMX track in Chandlers Ford. Looking for somewhere else to go as it gets busy up there.

Years ago we used to go to a place in Marchwood near the recycling center. Looking to maybe go back there as we could run the nitro and petrol stuff without issue.

Is he! Thats awesome, yes we should definitely meet up. Wonder if @G-RATs-Savage is still in the game?

Will make a post in the meetups section.

2 hours ago, dtokez said:

Wooaahhh man that's a bad ass combo, big bucks! I bet its a total animal now 😍

Yes it certainly rips, could gear it up a bit without issue but ill wait to see how temps are in the warmer weather. It is plenty fast enough as it is.

Need to choose a nice servo for it now.

On 21/02/2023 at 13:14, DannyP said:

I've dipped in and out over the last god knows how many years. MT10 is my first new Rc in a while. Getting back into flying helis as well. Just got a little one to pierce the ground with.

Mine are 7000mAh and fit with plenty room to spare.

My boys got cars for Xmas and just fixed up one for my daughter. Brother in laws also got new cars and so have thier children so loads of us blasting about on the weekends. Last couple of weekends we have been going to a BMX track in Chandlers Ford. Looking for somewhere else to go as it gets busy up there.

Years ago we used to go to a place in Marchwood near the recycling center. Looking to maybe go back there as we could run the nitro and petrol stuff without issue.

Is he! Thats awesome, yes we should definitely meet up. Wonder if @G-RATs-Savage is still in the game?

Will make a post in the meetups section.

Yes it certainly rips, could gear it up a bit without issue but ill wait to see how temps are in the warmer weather. It is plenty fast enough as it is.

Need to choose a nice servo for it now.

Yeah same as that with the MT10 mate, well I bought a 1/16 Slash a couple of weeks ago off here for my 8 year old to have a bash about with 🙂
Heli's must be cool but damn they would scare me haha. I'll did dabble with FPV quads but I lost one that I had literally just built so I haven't touched the others since lol.

Good to know about the 7000mAhs fitting well mate. Did you need longer straps? How much run time are you getting?

Sounds ace mate! Where is the BMX track, is it the old freespace one behind the BMW garage? Oh yes I remember G saying he used to bash over Marchwood way. Its surprising how little places there are to go really! The forest is good till they come and move you on 😅

Sounds ace bud! Hopefully the temps hold up! Yeah I don't hold out much hope for the stock servo 🤣

4 hours ago, dtokez said:

Yeah same as that with the MT10 mate, well I bought a 1/16 Slash a couple of weeks ago off here for my 8 year old to have a bash about with 🙂
Heli's must be cool but damn they would scare me haha. I'll did dabble with FPV quads but I lost one that I had literally just built so I haven't touched the others since lol.

Good to know about the 7000mAhs fitting well mate. Did you need longer straps? How much run time are you getting?

Sounds ace mate! Where is the BMX track, is it the old freespace one behind the BMW garage? Oh yes I remember G saying he used to bash over Marchwood way. Its surprising how little places there are to go really! The forest is good till they come and move you on 😅

Sounds ace bud! Hopefully the temps hold up! Yeah I don't hold out much hope for the stock servo 🤣

Helis are the best part of Rc I've ventured into. Been a good few years since I've flown so basically starting from scratch again. They are awesome fun though.

The straps are just about long enough, could do with getting longer ones really.

There is that track behind BMW and Knightswood. Knightswood is great but really feel like we shouldn't be there. Especially when there is loads of us.

The old freespace is pretty much abandoned. There is only half pipe and a little box left in the skate park section. Track is overgrown but you can still launch the cars over the jumps. I did post a video of doing a few jumps there. Think it was in this thread. I'll bump the old Southampton Bashers thread and post in there where we are going and when over the weekends. :good:

I look at servos but just cannot choose one. Loads of brands I've not seen before. I'll have to do some research.

I'm am really loving this little truck. It has taken everything I have thrown at it so far. Stock arms and hinge pins still in good shape. Got RPM's ready to go on, probably end up fitting those before I break a stock ones :lol:

Edit: Just scrolled up and saw the pictures I posted. I really need to tidy the cables. Looks dreadful.

Edited by DannyP

On 18/02/2023 at 23:30, Ross9999992 said:

@ridfrenzy Holding the button while turning the esc on is often a step towards recalibrating the throttle/brake endpoints so you may well have reset that. Things to try in this instance in order...

Check battery isn't below LVC (storage charge is fine)

Rebind tx/rx (just to be safe) - instructions should be in the manual

Set throttle trim to centre - again the manual if confused

Recalibrate endpoints - guess where to find out how to do this 🙂 

Turn esc off and then on again to ensure calibration is saved

Check the led for lipo/nimh - if you need to change it follow the instructions in your ss - hold the button for 6+ seconds to change it - green = lipo, red = nimh

That's usually the way to fix these kinds of gremlins...failing that if you still can't get things going then try to get a video of you showing the battery voltage and trying to change the lipo/nimh setting.

Hi Dude,

I tried all of the above so I have done a video like you asked, maybe I am doing something wrong, totally lost at this point, rather try to get it working than buy a new ESC but not looking good at this point. 🙂

I have tried three separate batteries but I have more I can try (the one in the video below is a 3S but does the exact same as a 2S), I also checked them on the charger and they look fine.