• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New ARRMA Teaser....

Fly In My Soup

I bent the nose of my 5ive backwards in a freak accident on a landing and I think it was mainly down to the Bartolone skid plate catching the ground. Got rid of that. Taken it off the same jump on the track probably several hundred times since with no problems despite crashing it badly a few times on landing. The last time I saw a 5ive bent in half it was 16S MGM powered 5ive driven off a proper Motorcross ramp designed for jumping over vans. It bent where the engine would normally be.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jumper said:

Tony from CCX rc has said even though he got it a week early, he had to pay for it. so i suspect most of the people doing early reviews did actually buy them. Its not even a as good deal as bang good where they give you the car for a massive discount if you give it a good review. :huh:

Don’t believe all your told as the same guy told someone else he had his on loan !! Rich duperbash idicated some folks got them free but didn’t indicate if his was or wasn’t 

To be honest I think everyone has had them free but Arrma wants folks to believe they bought them as folks will be more believing of there excitement and joy of owning one, more and more folks are starting to come to the conclusion these free trucks handed out aren’t all there cracked up to be and become disappointed when they buy one and realise it’s not what they thought. 

If you work hard save your money and buy something you have a completely different outlook on it and I know what folks are going to say but I don’t call playing with a toy car editing some footage and having a heap of fun hard work 

I’d wait for the every day joe vids not these prepaid promo free hand out stuff as most will say and all are saying yeah it was a hard stack it broke or man that was so hard I’m shocked it never broke but looking into things you soon start to see these guys are bending and breaking bits just not making it too obvious kevs bend wasn’t the one either rich bent his but played it down 

• Like 2

To be fair, in the case of Duperbash for example (or one other guy with an 81 in the name, can't recall right now), they certainly are working together with M2C. 

Duperbash basically broke his V4 on the first run (that's not great advertisement lol). Of course, you always take reviews with a grain of salt, but i do think that Duperbash has an interest in pointing out flaws since he's working with the people trying to fix those via aftermarket. 

I watched a video of that 81 guy yesterday, and he drove the Kraton like he stole it - i am actually quite surprised how well it does. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mond said:

I have a 5ive, owned a DBXL, bent or seen them bent from jumping, seen my friends bend their chassis from jumping. I know exactly what it takes to wreck one and the sort of effort needed on a 5ive, which is considerable. 

I didn't say it's easy to bend one. But it's metal, it's gonna bend if you put enough force on it. 

It also won't be easy to bend a Kraton 8s, but it'll happen more often - that's, as i said, mostly due to people driving the Kraton already like this.

And that's still mild compared to what others gonna do with it - you don't (okay: rarely) see a 5t being driven like this. 

edit: one thing i've been somewhat missing from the videos so far, the Kraton doesn't actually seem to wheelie at all. Fair enough, i've only seen dirt runs so far if i recall correctly, but the 6s version (and the X-Maxx) pull wheelies on dirt all day long. There's of course two sides to this, some people don't want to wheelie, but i feel like there's some charme missing. 

Edited by m4inbrain

1 hour ago, Tug said:

Looking at a picture of the motor, it has the same flat side as standard shafts, so standard pinions will fit?

Assuming the pitch for the gear it connects to in the gearbox is standard, you would think so.

2 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

I didn't say it's easy to bend one. But it's metal, it's gonna bend if you put enough force on it. 

It also won't be easy to bend a Kraton 8s, but it'll happen more often - that's, as i said, mostly due to people driving the Kraton already like this.

And that's still mild compared to what others gonna do with it - you don't (okay: rarely) see a 5t being driven like this. 

edit: one thing i've been somewhat missing from the videos so far, the Kraton doesn't actually seem to wheelie at all. Fair enough, i've only seen dirt runs so far if i recall correctly, but the 6s version (and the X-Maxx) pull wheelies on dirt all day long. There's of course two sides to this, some people don't want to wheelie, but i feel like there's some charme missing. 

Re. the wheelie topic, could that be related to the gearbox instead of direct drive? Perhaps also with the additional weight but still low COG it's also "tamed" the grip a little.

My Kraton certainly wheelies on demand even with the stock punch setting and oil in the centre diff.

I have upped both of them now and just waiting for a day to test it out.

CD tuning will enable or disable wheelies. However, if the Tx is as slow as people say, then getting it to wheelie might be tricky. 

Gearbox or direct drive shouldn't matter. You just need the right combination of power, torque, not over geared or under geared, traction and cells that're up to the job. 

Longer wheelbase cars can wheelie, but it's not so easy. I'm sure plenty of people will get this giant Truggy pulling wheelies. 

What do you mean by Tx slow? 

It comes with the DX2E Active, which isn't anything to phone home about, but adequate. The problems with lag etc were with the STX2 (on the 6s Kraton). Unless i misunderstand what you meant.

• Like 1

That is what I meant, but I thought I heard Vas complaining in his vid. I'm sure others have said similar with other trucks using that system. No experience of it myself, just what I've watched or read. 

Also heard that the ESC is set to a very low launch, so that won't help. Save soft start for lighting, not BL rigs. 

• Like 2

Fair enough, i don't watch Vas. The others haven't really, it's the same remote that Losi large scale stuff comes with (including DBXL-E) - and i'm currently gobbling up all the DBXL-E 2.0 videos too. A brief google didn't reveal any complaints about the DX2E either, other than it's pretty basic. It's the STX2 that received (much deserved) flak.

No idea about the ESC settings.

I do watch a few of his vids, but only if they're relevant to me. Never unboxing vids, too dull. A telling moment was three or four years ago, he said "I've just switched up to 500k oil in the centre diff and I'm not sure what effect that's going to have"! Well if he doesn't, I'll take anything he says with a pinch of salt. 

My bad, I thought the Spekky was slow too. 

The DBXL-E looks nice, especially the flip lid system. However, I'm still working on an unfinished conversion I bought months ago. 

I think this Kraton has potential to be a fun basher, possible racer, but with an ally chassis you just can't send it like you can the plastic-fantastic X-Maxx. Shame, but that's physics for ya. 

• Like 3

Yeah, the DBXL-E 2.0 does look nice. Does 45mph out of the box too with no changes. But if you already got the petrol one lined up for conversion it doesn't really make sense to shovel over £1070 for one. 

And i agree that sometimes plastic-fantastic indeed makes sense (though i would argue that it should be reflected in the price too -.-). 

Absolutely, a grand for moulded plastics and questionable electronics is just plain rude. 

A big problem with a plastic chassis that flexes is the centre shaft getting bent, that happens a lot. 

I bought it partially converted, came with motor mount and Savox steering servo. It'll get finished, but it's wet season, so it can wait. 

2 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

Yeah, the DBXL-E 2.0 does look nice. Does 45mph out of the box too with no changes. But if you already got the petrol one lined up for conversion it doesn't really make sense to shovel over £1070 for one. 

And i agree that sometimes plastic-fantastic indeed makes sense (though i would argue that it should be reflected in the price too -.-). 

The V2 of the E has lots of pluses over an petrol version, namely better drive line and that chassis plate stiffener, new shocks etc. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mond said:

The V2 of the E has lots of pluses over an petrol version, namely better drive line and that chassis plate stiffener, new shocks etc. 

Got to agree these do look good always wanted the v1 maybe this is the way to go 🤔

Another one bent. 

I will point out that i'd expect any RC in that class to bend if you drive it like that. It handled itself way better than i thought it would back when it wasn't revealed yet. Also, 23t pinion and 11 degrees of timing = 52mph and no overheating according to the guy. 

As a sidenote, i don't generally like chassis-slappers, but an almost 30lbs truck constantly belly flopping off a ramp makes me cringe on a level only rivalled by Traxxas' self righting. 

• Like 1

When did everyone become so miserable/serious over an rc model or release? 

Everyone seems too  fixated on looking for problems when something’s been around only 5minutes. Of course it’s going to have problems the same as every other model  that has been released in the history of the hobby. To be honest I think people expect too much in terms of strength with these models, try launching ANY model like these idiot youtubers and they will all come to the same fate, especially one at the size and weight of the Kraton 8S!

why can’t people be happy that someone is making something new and different to what’s available, be grateful that a brand are trying to make something new and appealing to hobbyist old and new.

• Like 2

Just watched that last vid, it took quite a hit to bend it. The hit that did it was horrible, a full frontal full speed to a stop collision with an immovable object. Considering all the jumps it did, the height of those jumps, plus the one big lawn dart landing, and it survived all of those unscathed. 

I doubt I'll be getting one, but it has earnt some respect from me personally. 

Definitely still want the Mojave. 

• Like 1

Now that’s more like it lookEd like a beast took a beating but sadly bent the chassis and the guy says mc2 🤷‍♂️  Are going to do a chassis seeing the price of the 6s one I’d hate to think how much it’s going to be for this one 🥴

All said and done I doubt most folks will launch it like that so if it’s just some minor bracing to sort out I’d say it differently earned some respect after watching that 

Great to hear the motor can handle the extra gearing I wonder if a max6 would be better or a max5 a lot of guys are noticing some strange lag maybe it’s the esc not the radio 🥴