• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

TT02 Type S Rally Car Project.

toyolien

• 3 weeks later...

Nice dude. If I may offer a couple of little bits. On my build I found CVD's were pretty important, the only CVD's I could find that would fit were for a Tamiya CV-01. Standard tt-02 CVD's are too short. You may also remove the bit of material on the front suspension arms behind the hub carriers. This allows the carrier to drop right through the arm and allow for much more suspension travel. I've been running like this for a while now with no issues. You already nailed the stone guard. Suspension components are off a TA-05, the car is basically a TT-02 with the corners off a TA-05, should serve you well if your looking for upgrades!

EiEjxAP.jpg

TC2qbvN.jpg

• 1 month later...

Very nice build @toyolien especially the shell, looks like it'll be a real ripper.

BTW, your garage is mint :thumbsup:  wouldn't mind something similar myself, maybe an out door pit or a race track backdrop. Certainly would look more interesting than a desktop with emulsion painted walls :lol:

• 5 months later...

Sorry to resurect this thread @toyolien - just curious on some of your components used in this build . I would like to go brushless so curious on which combo setup would be suitable (reasonably cost effective one at that!)

Looking around at which Tamiya kit I could build in lockdown, think the TT-02 fits the bill - love the rally car theme.  Thanks.

• 2 years later...

I have questions for anyone who is running a TT02 in rally spec. I recently picked up a TT02 SR kit and plan to run it on a mix of tarmac, dirt and short grass. I plan to modify the type S arms to get more suspension travel and I want to fit some nice (preferably Tamiya) aluminium body shocks. What are the best ones to go for or what is the ideal shock length when running the chassis in rally form? How much can you increase the suspension travel before you need to change the CVDs / dogbones?

Thanks, Nick

13 hours ago, N1ck said:

I have questions for anyone who is running a TT02 in rally spec. I recently picked up a TT02 SR kit and plan to run it on a mix of tarmac, dirt and short grass. I plan to modify the type S arms to get more suspension travel and I want to fit some nice (preferably Tamiya) aluminium body shocks. What are the best ones to go for or what is the ideal shock length when running the chassis in rally form? How much can you increase the suspension travel before you need to change the CVDs / dogbones?

Thanks, Nick

It's only the front that need some filing. I used Tamiya #42102 dampers, which I think are 55mm length. I ended up with 25mm of clearance under the chassis, which is more that enough if you intend to do some "scale" rally driving.

• Like 1

Another question, what brushless set up are people running on 2s. I want decent speed without it being insane. I have the high speed gear set so I can change spur gears, and the Tamiya aluminium motor mount and a selection of pinions. What sort of power can you put through the drive train without destroying it?

I’d decide what terrain your running in before upgrading the motor - I found anything faster than a bog standard silver can was hopelessly overpowered in woodland trials - you simply ran out of room.  

One mod that was worthwhile was the front CVD’s for increased lock, but I’m guessing you have them on a SR. The other mod was the reinforced chassis, and TT02 drift parts bag (grey ones). The chassis happily took landing on anything in its stride.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/tamiya-tt-02-lower-deck-hard-black--444286

On 30/06/2022 at 20:39, Shergar said:

I’d decide what terrain your running in before upgrading the motor - I found anything faster than a bog standard silver can was hopelessly overpowered in woodland trials - you simply ran out of room.  

One mod that was worthwhile was the front CVD’s for increased lock, but I’m guessing you have them on a SR. The other mod was the reinforced chassis, and TT02 drift parts bag (grey ones). The chassis happily took landing on anything in its stride.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/tamiya-tt-02-lower-deck-hard-black--444286

I plan on driving it on a mix of tarmac and loose dirt and very short grass and I am pretty much set on a brushless set up. I wonder what sort of speed Toyolien is getting from the 10.5t?

Pretty sure the SR kit includes the stiffer chassis pan and it comes with the exotically named double cardan joint shafts.

Another question for those running brushless set ups. The kit comes with an oil filled rear diff with upgraded metal bevel gears but a plastic ring gear. Will this be able to cope with a brushless motor or should I look to upgrade to the DF-02 diffs or add the GPM gearset?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, N1ck said:

I plan on driving it on a mix of tarmac and loose dirt and very short grass and I am pretty much set on a brushless set up. I wonder what sort of speed Toyolien is getting from the 10.5t?

Pretty sure the SR kit includes the stiffer chassis pan and it comes with the exotically named double cardan joint shafts.

Another question for those running brushless set ups. The kit comes with an oil filled rear diff with upgraded metal bevel gears but a plastic ring gear. Will this be able to cope with a brushless motor or should I look to upgrade to the DF-02 diffs or add the GPM gearset?

My Hobbywing 10.5t was very fast. I certainly wouldn't want it any faster. And I was using the stock diffs that were all plastic. So I'm sure the plastic internals and the oil diff would be more than fine.