• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What's the toughest RC Monster Truck?

namastebuzz

OK, I know it's like Kent Brockman saying "Religion - which is the one true faith?" but what is the least breakable 1/8 to 1/10 monster truck out there? Not necessarily straight out the box but with a few sensible (cheapish) mods.

My two E-Maxxs now have a combination of a lot of RPM and alloy parts but I wouldn't bet on them not breaking.

The Arrma Granite BLX looks pretty strong out the box as does the Outcast. Is that the case or have I been swayed by YouTube?

Sent from my S55 using Tapatalk

Have to say I’ve had the outcast the v1 and it was great, a few bits needed fixing but from what I’ve seen they addressed them on the newer ones ??. Really like the look of the 3s blx range but I’ve seen a fair few break arms and hinge pins usually from guys pushing limits mind ?

You could also look at the Tekno MT410 ?

I have a v2 Outcast and it takes a beating. I've replaced a few things but they have been through choice not failures.

The only things I've broken is 2 diff outdrives, a diff gear and a body shell but that was more due to my driving

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

I hope my buggy truggy hybrid D8MT will be as strong as anything and cheap. Brought 2 d8t rollers for half the tekno kit cost lol. If its good for tekno to mash buggy/truggy we can too. Im half tempted to try it with an sworks buggy/truggy jus cos i like their styles and the zeus looks cool i almost got that kit. 

Edited by RCbutcher

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks people.

The Arrma Outcast was definitely top of the list...... until I came across the Tekno MT410. (Well mydoddy69 pointed it out but I hadn't really followed it up - sorry)

OK so it's a kit versus the RTR Arrma for the same price but I have a brand new 6s Arrma system, suitable wheels and plenty of radio gear sitting around the workshop so I'd just need a servo off Banggood and a body shell and I'd be good to go.

(Once I've sold one of the E-Maxxs first)

Having owned a MT410 I will say they aren’t bulletproof, no RC is if we are being honest and to get one with decent electronics that will last, decent wheels and tyres, shell, rx/tx and a few essential hop ups your looking north of £750 minimum if buying everything new and of a decent standard. I probably spent close to £1000 on my build in the end, it still broke from time to time but I abuse the crap out of my bashers!

I haven’t owned an Outcast but a good friend has one and has spent way less with hop ups, probably about £650 and it’s just as tough and just as fun as my Tekno was.

I loved my Tekno but always resented how much it cost tbh. An Outcast would get my vote personally, especially if you get the new V4 version [emoji1303] I might get a Kraton V4 as it goes [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I’ve been pretty happy with my Helion Avenge MT brushless. The front diff mount section has finally given way but this was combination of things - repeated front bumper first landings and a couple of nearly full speed direct hits with a concrete block! 

Other than that, two bearings have failed due to water and dust intake and also 1 of the front LEDs failed due to repeated direct hits to the front bumper. 

It’s been a long time since I bashed a truck - we still had crystals then and it was a nitro XTM Mammoth and Lipos didn’t exist. 

Im pretty impressed with the Avenge. Also on 3S it’s rapid! 

Cheers

Ben

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Looks like an Outcast V3 for £399 is on the cards once I've sold one of the E-Maxxs.

Looks kinda hard to beat for that money.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Looks like an Outcast V3 for £399 is on the cards once I've sold one of the E-Maxxs.

Looks kinda hard to beat for that money.

2018 Outcast is £389 at Modelsport UK

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, yoodoo said:

I never managed to bust anything on mine Jumper.

J

That does not make it the toughest monster truck though. 

25 minutes ago, yoodoo said:

Different trucks, different opinions.

But the stampede is clearly not the toughest truck. You could easily prove this by asking multiple people who have owned multiple trucks which they think is toughest. If it was only based on opinion someone could say a maverick strada Mt or something like that, which is clearly incorrect. 

I've only owned the stampede,4 x emaxx , 2 x Tmaxx , Losi MT and MY opinion is that the Stampede was the best i had. You may own a BMW M5 and say it was the best car you had but other people might say its a bag of nuts and bolts. As said different people, different opinions. ArrmaD8MT, Outcast and Helion have been mentioned...That was THEIR opinions! Stampede was mine.

Yeah all good opinions guys.

Thing is, I've had hardly any breakages on the Rustlers but then we drive them differently than the E-Maxxs - which seem to break all the time.

The correct answer is we don't know, because we don't have any data on it other than our own, which tbh is rubbish because you are talking about 1 truck owned by one person, to get a clear picture you would need a large range of people owning a large range of trucks. 

It also depends on the question. If the question is what is the toughest truck you have owned then the answer could be anything, if the question is what is the toughest truck regardless of cost, its clearly going to be something 1/8th scale with 3 diffs or slipper. Then there is the issue that everyone has different upgrades and drives differently. 

These can be eliminated by getting a larger set of results though, just like car reliability is objectively tested and finds that say a Japanese car is better than a French car. Anyone with a French car who says "but mine has never broken down" is not really adding anything to the conversion, because the larger data set says that this is not a regular case. 

Although we don't have the data we can make a clear judgement on what isn't toughest. In the same way of someone asked what car is fastest around a track and you have a ferrari, bugatti and a Ford fiesta the Ford fiesta is clearly not going to be fastest. In this case the Helion, outcast out the box, stampede, emaxx and various others are clearly the fiesta. 

Something based on a race platform that is 3x the cost is generally going to be tougher like the mt410, d8t etc. Although I will point out that is not always the case as we have seen with the serpent Mt. 

Edited by Jumper
  • Like 1

It's a little subjective that question...

I might had anything Truggy from X-Ray with monster Truck tires will do the job fine...

82eb6dcade256c11.jpg

And this one:

Cen Colossus :)

CEN-RACING-COLOSSUS-XT-MEGA-2-770x590.jp

Traxxas Rc's are only good if the owner know's what aftermakert parts need to be on the right spots...otherwise it's a money pit as any RC! :)

And that's the advantage of them...lot's of aftermarket parts everywhere, anywhere!

Edited by targetingxmod

They all have faults and weaknesses. 

I have two E-Maxxs, both are now as tough as I need them to be, they'll take a tumble with the best of the rest. I don't abuse them, but they do see some air. They've both cost four figures to get to that point, probably wouldn't do it again, but glad I did it with these two. Definitely keepers. 

• Like 1

I would give my vote to the Hobao Hyper Mt

The new version with the upgraded shafts  and slipper factory flitted and with a few Cheap mods is tough as a tank.

Decent electronics.. powerfull motor. Nice chasis with the optional brace ect.

I think for this price range and with few upgrades it doesn't have a competitor for hard bashing and jumping.