• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Newbie - Which Budget RC Car?

RT2018

Hi

Totally new to the world of RC - I have a 7 year old who has taken interest in my friends brushless motor RC car..

Now I don't want to go and spend a fortune on one so was thinking which would be best .

I have been drawn the Tamiya Hornet / Grasshopper because I remember people having these when growing up but can see that the market has changed now and a lot more options available.

So any advice would be great -

Budget £120 -£150 for the full package ready to go including everything you need.

( I don't mind a kit which requires building)

Fire away - thanks in advance..

Welcome to the forum.

I think Tamiya would be a great choice considering your budget.

They do a number of different 2wd/4wd buggies. You are probably looking at variants of the TT02B or DT03 chassis in my opinion.

Timetunnelmodels do some decent bundles for around your budget.

I would recommend that you also order ball bearings to replace the brass bushings that most Tamiya kits come with.

9 minutes ago, RT2018 said:

Thanks - so would it be worth re living the 80's and ordering one of the classics?

Any particular one better than the other..

thanks

That's up to you. Depends if it's for your son or for you ?

The grasshopper/hornet have a basic rear suspension setup which doesn't handle that well compared to the ones I mentioned.

TT02B is 4WD and the DT03 is 2WD.

I'm sure other people on here will have opinions too. Might be worth seeing who else chimes in.

Have a look on YouTube too. There are lots of running videos. NordicRC is a good channel. See what you like the look of.

Edited by monkeyboy_uk
  • Thanks 1

I'd go for something 4wd if you're planning for off road/garden fun. My lad who's just turned 8 managed to break his tamiya neo fighter chassis with light use. He was frustrated by the 2wd side of things too.

Maybe a ftx outlaw? Or look for something better but 2nd hand?

Im a big fan of Tamiyas for the Nostalgia especially and the fact I think everyones RC first should be a kit, but I think youre cutting it very fine going complete RTR for £150 so Id look at this;

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-vantage-1-10-4wd-brushed-buggy-2-4ghz-waterproof/rc-car-products/379131

One thing to bear in mind, though, is that a grasshopper or similar will seem very slow in comparison to a brush less truck.

You can, of course, involve the child in the build, which can really help to get them interested.

Also, in terms of your budget, that would limit options. 

Arrma Granite might be worth a look....and if you are going Tamiya...how about a MadBull

Edited by Nitroholic
  • Like 1

I am a firm believer in kit builds, especially for youngsters starting out in the hobby. To a child (and sometimes to adults too) a RTR is often just an expensive toy, no matter how much it costs or how fast it goes. However building a kit gives the child a stake in the model. They have invested time and effort in its creation, and thus understand it better and are more likely to take proper care of it.

Tamiya kits are a great starting point because of the excellent instructions and fit of the parts, which make for an enjoyable and stress-free build. There is a wide variety to choose from, from re-released classics through modern fun machines and club racers right up to pro level competition machines in the TRF range.

For your purposes, toughness and convenience will presumably be more important than nostalgia or outright performance, so the DT series would be a good starting point.

The DT-01 Mad Bull is simple and tough, similar in layout to the Grasshopper of old, but longer, wider and more stable as a result. They are also extremely tough with a rubbery plastic used in many of the vulnerable areas. Plus the big tyres give it off-road performance to rival many 4WD buggies. 

The DT-02 is a far more advanced design with double wishbone suspension all round. A variety of models are based on this chassis, so you have several body styles and two different drivetrain spec levels to choose from. It is also tough, apart from the front shock tower which can break now and then. I'd recommend that you either carry spares or fit a Carson brace to reinforce it. 

Then we have the DT-03 which is in essence an extended DT-02, using the same front and rear suspension but joined by a longer, narrower main chassis. It comes in buggy and truck versions. It has a few weak points in stock form, but the aftermarket parts industry has stepped in to provide plenty of fixes for these so you can toughen it up when/if it breaks. 

The DT range used to be quite limited in terms of motor choice and wheel size due to their gearing, but since the advent of brushless motors with their prodigious torque, this is no longer such an issue. For example I run a DT-03T on big Mad Bull tyres which give excellent offroad performance, powered by a 13.5t brushless motor which handles the rollout easily without overheating.

If you fancy something with a bit more mechanical complexity, the TT-02B is a good bet, as is the re-released DF-01 Manta Ray. Both are 4WD shaft driven buggies with enclosed gearboxes and petty simple beginner friendly assembly. The Manta Ray is the better off-roader in stock form due to its higher ground clearance, but the TT-02B has more upgrade options and is a more stable performer on flatter ground due to its lower centre of gravity. 

Then there are the fun/stunt models like the classic CW-01 Lunch Box sand Midnight Pumpkin, or the more modern WR-02, GF-01 and G6-01 models with their various bodies. These don't handle as well as any of the buggy options, but for many that is the whole point, providing more of a challenge while doing wheelies and other stunt manoeuvres that kids tend to enjoy. 

Edited by XV Pilot
  • Like 2

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=403904&gclid=CjwKCAjwhevaBRApEiwA7aT535Q24bWWeCdF7pg4ljdSeabEQIXOwLBIv0SWWVG0G4V5QPVuEkGcUhoC53YQAvD_BwE

There is a bruhless version for another £60 which means it should be a fairly simple task to upgrade to brushless later on when you need somer more speed

Edited by Nitroholic

I am a firm believer in kit builds, especially for youngsters starting out in the hobby. To a child (and sometimes to adults too) a RTR is often just an expensive toy, no matter how much it costs or how fast it goes. However building a kit gives the child a stake in the model. They have invested time and effort in its creation, and thus understand it better and are more likely to take proper care of it.

Tamiya kits are a great starting point because of the excellent instructions and fit of the parts, which make for an enjoyable and stress-free build. There is a wide variety to choose from, from re-released classics through modern fun machines and club racers right up to pro level competition machines in the TRF range.

For your purposes, toughness and convenience will presumably be more important than nostalgia or outright performance, so the DT series would be a good starting point.

The DT-01 Mad Bull is simple and tough, similar in layout to the Grasshopper of old, but longer, wider and more stable as a result. They are also extremely tough with a rubbery plastic used in many of the vulnerable areas. Plus the big tyres give it off-road performance to rival many 4WD buggies. 

The DT-02 is a far more advanced design with double wishbone suspension all round. A variety of models are based on this chassis, so you have several body styles and two different drivetrain spec levels to choose from. It is also tough, apart from the front shock tower which can break now and then. I'd recommend that you either carry spares or fit a Carson brace to reinforce it. 

Then we have the DT-03 which is in essence an extended DT-02, using the same front and rear suspension but joined by a longer, narrower main chassis. It comes in buggy and truck versions. It has a few weak points in stock form, but the aftermarket parts industry has stepped in to provide plenty of fixes for these so you can toughen it up when/if it breaks. 

The DT range used to be quite limited in terms of motor choice and wheel size due to their gearing, but since the advent of brushless motors with their prodigious torque, this is no longer such an issue. For example I run a DT-03T on big Mad Bull tyres which give excellent offroad performance, powered by a 13.5t brushless motor which handles the rollout easily without overheating.

If you fancy something with a bit more mechanical complexity, the TT-02B is a good bet, as is the re-released DF-01 Manta Ray. Both are 4WD shaft driven buggies with enclosed gearboxes and petty simple beginner friendly assembly. The Manta Ray is the better off-roader in stock form due to its higher ground clearance, but the TT-02B has more upgrade options and is a more stable performer on flatter ground due to its lower centre of gravity. 

Then there are the fun/stunt models like the classic CW-01 Lunch Box sand Midnight Pumpkin, or the more modern WR-02, GF-01 and G6-01 models with their various bodies. These don't handle as well as any of the buggy options, but for many that is the whole point, providing more of a challenge while doing wheelies and other stunt manoeuvres that kids tend to enjoy. 

I agree the tt02 is good chassis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk