• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas unlimited desert racer

Ady 2215

• 3 weeks later...

Been looking at picking one of these up for a while now, now that it looks like upgrades are being released it looks like I may have to bite the bullet although I keep chopping between this and a trx4

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bodgemonkey said:

Been looking at picking one of these up for a while now, now that it looks like upgrades are being released it looks like I may have to bite the bullet although I keep chopping between this and a trx4

Now there’s a blast from the past! Hope you’re keeping well pal :) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 53HRA said:

Now there’s a blast from the past! Hope you’re keeping well pal :) 

Manneh! Been a few years mate, started up a CNC fabrication company and made a few rc bits for people and it's given me the itch again

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Honeybadger said:

What gearing do people use for 4s? Would a higher kv motor suit it better? Or would 6s and lower kv be the way to go? 

Why not use the stock motor?

6S with a lower kv is far more efficient. 

I think that car is heavy for 4S plus you’ll increase run time on 6S and your electronics including battery last longer due to lower amps drain, if you can fit decent size 6S pack go for it and buy motor with adequate kv, you can always tweak the speed vs torque later with different pinion size

• Thanks 1

4082 can would be appropriate for such car if lenght isn’t an issue, XTI 4082 with 2000kv would be my pick or similar motor capable of 27-30V, you could go lower kv (capable of more volts) but you’ll loose efficiency

Lowering kv improves efficiency, not the other way around. 

There's a guy on YouTube running a very long can, something around 100mm in length, so you can easily swap to a longer can. 

Yes, if you use adequate voltage of the motor, if you use i.e. motor capable of 8S (33v) only with 6S (25v) the remaining power is lost so it doesn’t operate at its maximum efficiency hence suggestion to use motor with closest voltage allowance no matter what kv is stated

Pretty sure they don't work that way. Whatever voltage you offer a motor will determine how much power it consumes. 

Either way, dropping the kv and upping the voltage will result in near stock speeds, but with less current being drawn. 

Precisely, and I’m pretty sure we are both talking about same thing but in slightly different scenarious, lets take 2 same size motors with different kv, one with max voltage of 25v and second with 33v

first one with 2000kv on 6S producing 50k rpm
second motor with 1600kv on 6S producing 40k rpm

so to get to the same spur rpm we need to up the pinion tooth but as a side effect motor will see higher load means start to ask for more current coz there is not enough voltage anymore to get to the same power = V x A and as a second side effect start generating heat because it doesn’t operates efficiently

so to get max effieciency of our motor we need to choose the one closest to the max voltage of our battery pack as mentioned earlier in my post

• 3 months later...

Anyone know why traxxas udr prices are through the roof ?

Been away from the hobby for a while was going to get back into it with a new udr.

But the prices are well up on the last time I bought one.

I know now they come with led light bars but they are not worth another £170 ish for them, and tbh I don't light the led set in the grille but I love the udr.