• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Bad cell - Lipo

noddy_2121

Hi all,

my vsr mini charger has just reported a bad cell error during a storage charge.

iv had the battery approx 2 months.

iv used the battery every Saturday for 2 months. My normal routine is to balance change, then use, then storage charge.

im now in the process of discharging the battery before re attempting to storage charge the battery. Is this correct?

anyone able to help with the above please? Is the battery done?? Really hope not!!

many thanks 

50 minutes ago, noddy_2121 said:

Hi all,

my vsr mini charger has just reported a bad cell error during a storage charge.

iv had the battery approx 2 months.

iv used the battery every Saturday for 2 months. My normal routine is to balance change, then use, then storage charge.

im now in the process of discharging the battery before re attempting to storage charge the battery. Is this correct?

anyone able to help with the above please? Is the battery done?? Really hope not!!

many thanks 

How many cells, and what are you individual cells reading at?

id still keep an eye on it as lipo cells dont tend to get better... usually just worse.

most chargers if they have a display......you can press a button to show each cell voltage. or pick up a cheap cell checker from your local lhs to keep a check. always a handy thing to have

• Like 1

I think it is worth mentioning that a LiPo's life can depend on a few things:

Right off the bat, the quality of the cells used, I find that the likes of Tattu and Graphene tend to be better balanced from the off OK they are expensive batteries but balance and discharge seems to take a lot less time than on some of the cheaper cells I have used, for example Zippy and Turnigy which are both good batteries but don't balance as quickly as the Tattu and Graphene equivilent

Keeping the batteries stored at 3.8v per cell and then checking periodically (every few months) if storing long term

Not pulling too much, check the C rating and the rating of your motor and ESC you will want to be able to supply the maximum at a constant and a burst rating can be higher, example - 120a ESC, 4000mah battery - 30c x 4A (4000mah) = 120A so I would say that is the minimum C rating for that battery.

If used properly and not overly stressed LiPos should last a good while :)