• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Horizon bid for hobbico & upcoming auction

Fly In My Soup

55 minutes ago, superduke said:

I disagree.. my losi 8-e 3.0 has been brilliant, one of my favourite rc's, i brought the rtr version & apart from the plastic shock caps & thin shock towers (ive since put the tlr replacements on)its been superb, on a scale of 1-10 id give it a 9 & my mt410 9.5 ,its damn near as tough as the tekno. 

I hope horizon do buy hobbico id class losi & arrma the 2 best rtr companies.

I dont know why people keep moaning about spares being a problem for losi's ,,,ive just rebuilt the losi 8 over the winter spent over £160 in new parts ,every part i needed wheelspin had them in stock 4-5 days after ordering them.

The reason I mentioned it is because I personally won't use Wheelspin, they ripped me off and wouldn't own up.

When I was looking for some upgrades for my old truggies, it wasn't as easy to find stuff as it used to be, that was a little while ago though, but again, I didn't even look on Wheelspin.

But stuff definitely isn't as easy to find as it once was, going back two years, same with Axial etc... 

13 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

But the RTR 8ights aren't TLR?

They are still very very good quality.

I'm sorry to say, but I think you're talking nonsense... Based on not owning any of the new vehicles lol.

I literally mentioned what Id noticed based my opinion on my very recent SCBE, but cool. Lol.....

We will see what happens at the Auction and go from there. 

Edited by Guns

7 minutes ago, Guns said:

I literally mentioned what Id noticed based my opinion on my very recent SCBE, but cool. Lol.....

But how much did you actually use it?

Some models have faults, some are minor, some major, that doesn't make the entire brand in quality decline :lol: 

Look how quickly Kev Talbot wrecked his Slash, does that mean Traxxas quality is crap and in decline also, or nah? :P 

Hobbico asset auction took place today @ 10am (6 hours ago) at the offices of MNAT (Morris,Nichols,Arsht & tunnels)

A "sale hearing" to approve the winning bid will take place on 2 April

Hopefully some news will follow after that, I've emailed MNAT but don't expect a reply....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Guns said:

You guys don't think there has been a clear decrease in quality since them splitting TLR and Losi? I'm not talking about the 8ight. The 8ight is quality, but thats TLR not Losi. The DBXL is a rebrand for gods sake, you don't expect a company with their reputation to be doing that. My last Losi car was a SCBE, it was awful and broke if you looked at it the wrong way... This thing:

http://www.losi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOS03007T1

Twice I broke that within 2 minutes of the charged lipo on the 2 occasions, before I got the expensive spare parts (admittedly off the shelf in Wheelspin) and sold it.

I understand Losi are the golden boy on here, and maybe im reminiscing about the good old says for my XXX-S Touring cars, but things like the Losi SCBe/SCTE/XXLe are now considerably worse than Losi products of 5-10 years ago.

They even have 2 different websites now:

The high quality stuff
http://www.tlracing.com/ 

The rest

http://www.losi.com/

The SCTE is based on the TEN and the TLR version is excellent. Not broken a thing on mine. Parts have worn but the diffs etc are indestructible. Don't forget the 5ive is Losi branded and thats almost, if not the gold standard all 5th scales are compared against. The DBXL and DBXLE are also excellent value and quite tough.   Those cheaper, plastic chassis TEN based cars are a complete rip off though. The Rock/Baja Rey platform is also good if you over look maintenance. Certain better than comparable trucks.

I would agree that Horizon has diluted the Losi name. The TLR separation came after Horizon.

Edited by mond

13 hours ago, Guns said:

You guys don't think there has been a clear decrease in quality since them splitting TLR and Losi? I'm not talking about the 8ight. The 8ight is quality, but thats TLR not Losi. The DBXL is a rebrand for gods sake, you don't expect a company with their reputation to be doing that. My last Losi car was a SCBE, it was awful and broke if you looked at it the wrong way... This thing:

http://www.losi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOS03007T1

Twice I broke that within 2 minutes of the charged lipo on the 2 occasions, before I got the expensive spare parts (admittedly off the shelf in Wheelspin) and sold it.

I understand Losi are the golden boy on here, and maybe im reminiscing about the good old says for my XXX-S Touring cars, but things like the Losi SCBe/SCTE/XXLe are now considerably worse than Losi products of 5-10 years ago.

They even have 2 different websites now:

The high quality stuff
http://www.tlracing.com/ 

The rest

http://www.losi.com/

I cant speak about the petrol dbxl cause ive never owned one ,but my dbxle has my mt410 well & truly beaten as far as broken parts go ,i know you cant really compare the 2 as ones a 5th scale & the other 8th or 10th or whatever tekno class it as.. id say its more 8th but even so ive broke quite a few parts on the tekno over the last year or so(i do bash hard just ask the lads at wheelspin they've been out with me!)  & the only thing that has happened to the dbxle ,was one of the dog bone pins in the rear came lose once , i thought the diff had gone lol but no it was only the pin in the dog bone.. oh & i completely shredded one of the tyres (i did have some issues with it brand new straight out the box though..missing spacer in the steering rack & leaking center diff that i couldnt remove cause they put to much red thread lock on the motor mount!!). Its like a big losi eight therefore==brilliant. 

My mate runs a scbe & the only things he's broken on that are plastic shock caps(again) & stripped the plastic spur gear i believe there are metal tlr replacements though? other than that its very good.

Yes, you can replace almost the entire SCBE with TLR SCTE 2.0 parts. Some of the plastics are the same though. I actually converted my SCTE 2.0 to use the SCBE body and it's awesome. 

https://www.facebook.com/rcdriver/'s latest post says that the purchase has gone through. Axial, Arrma, Great Planes and Tower are now all owned by Horizon. I'd expect Tower shut down and merged with Horizon's own webstore or vice versa. To be honest, I think this is the best outcome overall. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tug said:

But if Arrma are British, can Horizon still block UK sales? Restrict them to the shortlist of outlets they're currently supplying? 

I would assume, as their new sole owner they could do whatever the feel .

From shutting them down, to spending millions on marketing for them.

One would also assume that the most probable outcome is to further the brands they just acquired.........

Most of the brands they acquired don't actually make a great deal of profit, arrma for example came out with a 22k profit in 2017, but in this turbulent market..... Just to be solvent with your head above the water is an achievement in itself.

I for one, hope they do propel arrma into more model shops, spend more on marketing their products etc....... As a massive global distributor and owner of countless brands/exclusive distribution deals arrma couldn't really ask for a better parent company......

Of course, the above statement would only apply if horizon chose to leave arrma/kingstar to design and manufacture their own products......and simply gave help in the form of supplements (distribution/marketing)...... It would be a grave error to start altering design for increased cost efficiency.....something horizon is slightly guilty of with the losi brand over the last 18 months........

1 hour ago, Tug said:

But if Arrma are British, can Horizon still block UK sales? Restrict them to the shortlist of outlets they're currently supplying? 

Why would they block them? Horizon now has its Traxxas killer.

Yeah, I'm really only referring to the current situation with getting anything Losi etc, with only a few outlets being supplied. 

No, I did not think Horizon would purchase and then crush a viable business such as Arrma or any of the other brands purchased. 

On the "Traxxas killer" note, I'm sure it's brands such as Arrma that're making Traxxas realise the game's up and they need to improve their line-up. 

18 hours ago, Tug said:

To be honest I'm not completely up to speed on them, so I don't know what they're breaking. Is it drive-train issues or just wishbones etc? 

The driveline is Xmaxx sizd but not spec. Apparantly the metal is rubbish quality, the teeth size is much smaller and the centre drivetrain is still plastic. Sounds a bit of a dog unfortunately!!

On 3/28/2018 at 21:00, Guns said:

I had your SCBE iirc - you didn't have it very long if I remember, and nailed it into a wheely bin?  I LOVED it, one of my favourite all time RC's - and had it not been for the imperial / metric mash up I'd have kept it.  Other than swapping out the 8th scale motor for a good 550 one geared for 2/3s it 'needed' nothing.  Handled beautifully, well put together and robust.

1 hour ago, Guns said:

The driveline is Xmaxx sizd but not spec. Apparantly the metal is rubbish quality, the teeth size is much smaller and the centre drivetrain is still plastic. Sounds a bit of a dog unfortunately!!

Keeping up the ERBe tradition then.  A real shame, I wonder though now Traxxas are burning bridges with Tekno etc whether we'll see a 2.1 revision a la the Xmaxx.

To be fair, as far as drivetrains go, look at the Xmaxx nonsense, they released an inferior drivetrain, then instead of owning up and sorting it out, they brought out that tune up kit and people seemed to lap it up, there's a sucker born every minute!

The new version seems fixed, but they also sorted out the price tag :lol: 

• Haha 1

To be fair, as far as drivetrains go, look at the Xmaxx nonsense, they released an inferior drivetrain, then instead of owning up and sorting it out, they brought out that tune up kit and people seemed to lap it up, there's a sucker born every minute!
The new version seems fixed, but they also sorted out the price tag [emoji38] 
Well as long as traxxas don't get hold of hobyco we should b ok

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, kingkev45 said:

Well as long as traxxas don't get hold of hobyco we should b ok

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Instead we are going to get availability in limited shops from a distributor based in Germany, which will be an issue when we leave the EU and potentially massive price hikes like they did with Losi? Splendid!

Don't really know what the answer is, but it certainly isn't Traxxas or Horizon IMO

Edited by Guns