• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Cheap but reliable Estate

Kpowell911

Hi, come June I'll be starting work as a self employed CCTV/Fire equipment Installer. I'll be leaving my office, losing my suit and putting on a hi viz and combats and actually working for a living. That means I need a more suitable car. I currently have a 2013 Scirocco, which I will owe about £5k on  come June and should be able to sell for £9kish. I'd love to keep it, especially having just having new brakes/tyres/service/mot and the front end resprayed to get rid of a scuff, but I don't want the worry of a finance payment over my head when work is going to be very slow to start.

Im after something I can use for work and not really care about too much, but it must be reliable. I'll pay cash so only want to spend £2500 tops really, ideally ID like to stay under £2k, but there is more money available. The idea is I use this for work and we use the money from my Scirocco + sell my Mrs car and get something nice we both can use. Looking like an Evoque, A Class or a Mk7.5 Golf GTI/D.

Im thinking theres only 2 options at this price range. Ford Focus Estate or a Vauxhall Astra. Between then 2005-07 mark.

Something like this:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201803124492439?postcode=b323qn&radius=1500&price-to=2500&advertising-location=at_cars&make=FORD&sort=sponsored&keywords=estate&fuel-type=Diesel&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&maximum-mileage=100000&page=1

Anything else you'd consider? 

Don't really want a Van, cause the only thing I like is a Caddy, and Id get addicted to modding that!

Thanks in advance

Look at a B5.5 Passat estate, the B5.5 was one of the most reliable cars on the road, I have a saloon sport and love it!

Mine is the 1.9tdi it was putting out 130bhp bit is now at 175bhp and drives amazingly! The B5.5 ran from 2001 to 2005, you could get a B6 for that money but they have a lot more issues.

@ 130k she looks great, I had the windscreen replaced this week and the guy mentioned what excellent condition she is in for her age!ed5ea58fda2358995cf591b94a5be614.jpg

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

Have a look at MPVs - Ford galaxy / c-max, take the seats out nice big floor space.

But if its a work vehicle, just get a van and you don't have to worry about damaging the interior when you chuck you toolbox in it.

You can install racking in to store your tools and parts. + you can stick a huge advert on the side of it promoting your business!

4 minutes ago, rushboy2004 said:

Have a look at MPVs - Ford galaxy / c-max, take the seats out nice big floor space.

But if its a work vehicle, just get a van and you don't have to worry about damaging the interior when you chuck you toolbox in it.

You can install racking in to store your tools and parts. + you can stick a huge advert on the side of it promoting your business!

thats exactly what I don't want, advertising. Round here theres probably a van broken into every night.

Plus an estate I can still use as a car, ie with more than 2 people. I don't drink much at all but go out to the pub a lot and drive so my cars always full. I don't need the space for a van either, Id get what I need in my Scirocco, even the steps. MPV's an option though!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F332581898911

Japanese for reliability and value!

Just as an example high mileage on this one.

Had a couple of hyundai santa fey's huge car reliable and cheep sub £2000 plus the added bonus of 4x4 in the snow.

Edited by shaunm

Skoda Octavia estate around 2007 or so would be my choice, 1.9 or 2.0 tdi 6 spd manual (stay well away from dsg of that era) good one with fsh will set you back about 2.5k or 2k for a high mileage:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/57-SKODA-OCTAVIA-1-9-TDI-PD-ELEGANCE/123001792028?hash=item1ca37a661c:g:rowAAOSwonBZ8I-5

something like that

16 minutes ago, sunny said:

Skoda Octavia estate around 2007 or so would be my choice, 1.9 or 2.0 tdi 6 spd manual (stay well away from dsg of that era) good one with fsh will set you back about 2.5k or 2k for a high mileage:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/57-SKODA-OCTAVIA-1-9-TDI-PD-ELEGANCE/123001792028?hash=item1ca37a661c:g:rowAAOSwonBZ8I-5

something like that

I'd second that, and say get the PD engine if you can - one of VAG's best diesels.  

Had an 03 PD130 mk4 Golf for a while back im 2006ish, was a good car tbh, im just thinking running costs. Never thought of the Avensis, ive only ever saw one used as a Taxi haha.

I looked at Mondeos, using a slighly higher budget I found an amazing specced Titanium X, just feel it might be a bit too big hece looking at the Focus. I reckon I could get away with a Fusion?

If you buy a Focus with PSA group 1.6 td/1.6 hdi engine in it be ready to pay for a new turbo and or engine, they are so bad that we wont even supply turbos for them any more as even new ones dont last a year

I have been doing a similar search, but Justin for something a bit bigger than my KA as a second car! You can get alot of car for around 1k! 

Jag x type diesel estate, Saab 93 diesel sport wagon,  Mazda 6 

don't know about how any of those are for reliability, but a lot of car for cheap money!  

7 minutes ago, sunny said:

If you buy a Focus with PSA group 1.6 td/1.6 hdi engine in it be ready to pay for a new turbo and or engine, they are so bad that we wont even supply turbos for them any more as even new ones dont last a year

Depends on the fitter. I did both of mine 5+ years ago. Clean everything properly and change the oil every 6k with a flush and all is still sound. 

48 minutes ago, sunny said:

Really?  our psa 2.0hdi in the dispatch combi was prob one of the best lumps i've owned.  Reliable, capable and economical.  

Lots of Vauxhall Zafiras in that price range. Small for an MPV but fold the seats out the way and you've got van levels of storage. 

Wouldn't bother with the Focus estate myself. My father in law has one, whilst I have the C-Max. There is more space in the C-Max and its no more expensive. Its taller but the same chassis so handles just as well. 

Edited by Si Coe

1 hour ago, sunny said:

Thats interesting, thought they were bullet proof. Hmm

10 minutes ago, capri-boy said:

Really?  our psa 2.0hdi in the dispatch combi was prob one of the best lumps i've owned.  Reliable, capable and economical.  

2.0 is ok its the 1.6 hdi thats the killer mainly due to crabon inside the engine blocking oil feed pipes and killing turbos and engines, and being french the wiring harness is umm interesting build quality

2 minutes ago, sunny said:

2.0 is ok its the 1.6 hdi thats the killer mainly due to crabon inside the engine blocking oil feed pipes and killing turbos and engines, and being french the wiring harness is umm interesting build quality

yes wiring.... we had to have a new egr valve - coked up and not worth cleaning allegedly (had no time to investigate).- but that was it's only issue in years of hard use.

6 minutes ago, capri-boy said:

Very different engines, they may share the hdi tag but that's about it. The 2.0 and 2.2 come from the DW family and are an evolution of the XUD, they're probably one of the best engines to ever come out of the PSA group. The 1.6/1.4 Hdi (Tdci for Ford's) are a DV series and the 1.6's have a horrific reputation but have been tweaked over the years to be more reliable. They all also used in a ton of vehicles across a range of manufacturers. I've owned Peugeots pretty much exclusively for the last 6 years and have plenty of experience with both engine families.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, OllieNZ said:

The other issues with modern diesels are the DPF and EGR systems. Both can literally choke the life out of an engine.

My current car is a diesel, so know about DPF, EGR’S oh and dual mass flywheel, that went under warranty. 

So a 2.0 tdi Focus around 2006 be ok?

Just now, Guns said:

My current car is a diesel, so know about DPF, EGR’S oh and dual mass flywheel, that went under warranty. 

So a 2.0 tdi Focus around 2006 be ok?

I don't know much about the ford diesels (other than the DV6) Afaik the main thing to look out for on them is noisy injectors as the mileage gets up

I like the Avensis option, wish I still had mine. Currently have a 307sw 1.6hdi and an 807 2.2hdi and always do all my own spannering which saves an absolute fortune. Changed the injector seals on the 307 last year (which is a 2004@110k and still on it's original turbo ;) ) took a couple of evenings and cost me £6. Average garage cost for the same job £600-£800.....  

4 minutes ago, OllieNZ said:

I don't know much about the ford diesels (other than the DV6) Afaik the main thing to look out for on them is noisy injectors as the mileage gets up

I like the Avensis option, wish I still had mine. Currently have a 307sw 1.6hdi and an 807 2.2hdi and always do all my own spannering which saves an absolute fortune. Changed the injector seals on the 307 last year (which is a 2004@110k and still on it's original turbo ;) ) took a couple of evenings and cost me £6. Average garage cost for the same job £600-£800.....  

I found a lovely 307 sw 1.6hdi for £995, i was going to go and buy it earlier, but google suggested I set fire to the £995 in notes as it was a better idea?

2 minutes ago, Guns said:

I found a lovely 307 sw 1.6hdi for £995, i was going to go and buy it earlier, but google suggested I set fire to the £995 in notes as it was a better idea?

I like the 307 but unless you're handy I'd avoid the 1.6, and go with a 2.0hdi instead. I can give you a list of what I've done to mine to improve reliability but depending on the condition of the car already it may be a losing battle.