• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Just my Dad's Gelande 2 D90

toyolien

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 23:49, Rover Man said:

Looks great :good:

Thanks very much :thumbsup:

Managed to get a little more done on the D90. I brazed on a spare wheel mount to the roll cage, then added a battery/tool box in front of it. I Added some diamond plate styrene on the lid. I'm unsure whether to hinge it or hold the lid on with magnets, or some other method yet.

Yc3fabx.jpg

CXqzBjO.jpg

And, I also fab'd up some simple sliders this evening. Pretty happy with how they turned out.

mGJxheI.jpg

1y3b2tk.jpg

e84TUdO.jpg

lap1Dpw.jpg

That's where i'm up to for now...

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 09:55, shaunm said:

Spot on very impressive! 

Thanks very much.

On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 14:40, NOFX said:

That's brilliant. Can't wait to see the finished product  :@.@:

Thank you. Should be onto the paint very soon. 

Only a small update on the D90. I had a PM asking what I use to hold the pieces to be brazed in the right place. Well, the answer is; what ever I can find. Sometimes I'll mount one piece in the vice and the other piece in some mole grips held in place using a welders right angle magnet, and some times (like below) I'll make something out of wood to hold the pieces in the right place. It really all depends on the size, shape and where they are to be brazed. I hope that helps.

iKb3dRH.jpg

The only update on this at the moment is that I've finally finished the cage work.

saOvsv7.jpg

I7QVTVg.jpg

3MhUVlp.jpg

rTLr7LO.jpg

IhU93RG.jpg

Thanks for looking. I'll be moving on to finishing off the body work, and then the paint in the next couple of weeks.

Edited by toyolien
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bodywork done. Metal work done. Electrics done. Wheels and tires done. Battery box done (bar the catch). It runs, and it works well. Just a couple more little jobs to finish then comes the paint.

Here it is.

pzWECJv.jpg

R2hg3gw.jpg

yyM2zxo.jpg

U3OIX8S.jpg

ynimq7q.jpg

Thanks for taking a look.

Edited by toyolien
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Ever since I learnt to drive in my Dads Series IIA *cough* years ago, I've always wanted an orange SWB pickup.

Apart from being a defender, this is pretty much my dream made real ... besides not actually being the real thing of course.

I might just have to settle for a scale version though I doubt I could match the quality of work shown here.

Looking great, thanks for sharing. Just received my rc4wd d90 kit so going to start building it today I think, got one beadlock wheel put together that’s it so far lol. 

Thanks for the inspiration. 

Any tips for the main build before I start getting mine built? 

Thanks. 

10 hours ago, big gaz said:

Wow, now that does look the part mate, at least I know where to look to find you and your dad.

as always, excellent work :good:

Thanks. Yep, our truck will be easy to spot!

2 hours ago, Geehawk said:

Ever since I learnt to drive in my Dads Series IIA *cough* years ago, I've always wanted an orange SWB pickup.

Apart from being a defender, this is pretty much my dream made real ... besides not actually being the real thing of course.

I might just have to settle for a scale version though I doubt I could match the quality of work shown here.

Thanks. You never know till you try!

2 hours ago, Rustypeb said:

Looking great, thanks for sharing. Just received my rc4wd d90 kit so going to start building it today I think, got one beadlock wheel put together that’s it so far lol. 

Thanks for the inspiration. 

Any tips for the main build before I start getting mine built? 

Thanks. 

Thanks very much. I didn't build the truck, my dad did. But i would just say disassemble the axles, add blue lock tight and check the play in the ring/pinion and shim as necessary.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Thanks. Yep, our truck will be easy to spot!

Thanks. You never know till you try!

Thanks very much. I didn't build the truck, my dad did. But i would just say disassemble the axles, add blue lock tight and check the play in the ring/pinion and shim as necessary.

Thanks I wasn’t too sure if I should rebuild the axles but as there pre assembled guessing it’s best too. Thanks will add blue lock tight and check on the bits you said. 

Thanks. 

• 4 months later...
8 hours ago, Gaz! said:

Yeah mate, much better with those on. :wub:

are you and your dad doing nationals again?

if so, I’d best get saving up :whistling:

Thanks Gaz. Yes we'll be there. Don't think I'll have as much for sale but there may be a few trinkets??

• Like 1