• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Just a TF2 Hilux Flatbed

toyolien

20 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

Simply excellent Neil, liked these on IG too, awesome work, so clean and crisp!

Very jealous.

Thank you very much. I'm really looking forward to driving this. Can't wait!

Made a start on the interior. Now, working with styrene is not my strong point, so although in my head I have a nicely designed curvy interior, in reality I'm going to have to resort to straight lines and square edges, but hopefully it'll turn out reasonable.

So, here's where I'm at.

hx0zxpy.jpg

FD2Iq2e.jpg

Beginnings of the fire wall and centre console.

TYHanRL.jpg

afeC2kx.jpg

b8JyOaj.jpg

And, I've made the centre console a little wider than I intended because I realised that I could squeeze the ESC in there.

hi94gii.jpg

pJTsdt6.jpg

irvOuP9.jpg

More coming soon...

Edited by toyolien

I've not done a lot more on the Hilux, but I thought I'd update the thread anyway. I decided to use some Axial Corbeau seats on this build, so made the seat bases.

QUONhld.jpg

lijMDUW.jpg

2zhU33W.jpg

Also made a couple of gear levers. And I stumbled upon these gear lever boots. They are a part from the Kyosho Scorpion and seem to suit this job well.

MWjGDWc.jpg

I had intended to mount the high lift jack on top of the tool box, but Mike (mikesrcworld on Instagram) pointed out that on a 1:1 truck, opening the box with a jack on would be a nightmare. So, I thought again, made some mounts and brazed them to the rear bed tubing Much better. Thanks Mike!

M6vS5aN.jpg

ahx9DLH.jpg

Km6qrlu.jpg

And lastly for now, I've settled on the wheel/tire combo for this truck. RC4WD Racelines with Baja Claws. The wheels are very light, so I've added a little weight. Normally I would use Beef Tubes Patties, but as they don't offer them for these wheels, I went old school. Not worried about the additional weight, as they now weigh the same as my unweighted 1.9 Gearhead wheels. So, I suspect they'll be fine.

cibZYgj.jpg

wYjxeV1.jpg

O0ZVHSY.jpg

1DxMZDd.jpg

And here's how they look:

ciRQN2X.jpg

Tjw0VR3.jpg

I'm getting closer to the paint, but I've still now decided on a color. I'm either thinking green with gloss grey metal work, or gloss grey cab with black metal work. Any thoughts?

Thanks for looking, again.

Edited by toyolien
  • Like 1

Looking superb.  My vote is grey metal tubing, black would hide the work you've put into it.

Soldered my first bit of tube today, really puts into perspective what you have achieved.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 23:16, ghazghul said:

Looking superb.  My vote is grey metal tubing, black would hide the work you've put into it.

Soldered my first bit of tube today, really puts into perspective what you have achieved.

Thank you. I think I've definitely decided on gloss grey metal work. Just need to finalise the cab color... I remember my first brazed piece. It was a mess. Just keep going and it become a lot easier.:thumbsup:

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:13, Fly In My Soup said:

Oh please @toyolien ....don't paint the tubing.....

Sorry, but it's going to be painted. Not black though :D

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:49, Jimplops said:

Fantastic build, would agree with black hiding the great cage work.

Thank you, much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Another job ticked off the (long) list. I had an idea in my head of how wanted the sliders to look, and I'm pretty happy with how they've turned out. I've recently started drawing out the shape of the bends I want to make, and it's definitely made it a whole lot easier to work out where to mark the tubes.

ASXMFIN.jpg

KEine1j.jpg

Dtsc1Za.jpg

gKBJubO.jpg

VdROoab.jpg

SwNU5TH.jpg

UaRTWdF.jpg

The last major job is to make the front bumper. I'm just waiting on a couple of bits, then I'll get started on that.

Edited by toyolien
  • Like 2

Don’t suppose you fancy making me some sliders for my lwb tf2? Just a simple bar running across the bottom.

time and cost aren’t a issue either.

many thanks and keep up the stunning work :good:

23 hours ago, big gaz said:

Don’t suppose you fancy making me some sliders for my lwb tf2? Just a simple bar running across the bottom.

time and cost aren’t a issue either.

many thanks and keep up the stunning work :good:

I do get asked a fair bit to make stuff for other people and I've had to turn them all down as at the moment I just simply don't have the time. I work on my trucks after my daughters have gone to bed as that's the only spare time I get. Brazing is pretty straight forward if you've got a bit of patience, so maybe have a bash and see how you get on. Happy to help if you need advice with equipment etc... Sorry I can't help more at the moment.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, toyolien said:

I do get asked a fair bit to make stuff for other people and I've had to turn them all down as at the moment I just simply don't have the time. I work on my trucks after my daughters have gone to bed as that's the only spare time I get. Brazing is pretty straight forward if you've got a bit of patience, so maybe have a bash and see how you get on. Happy to help if you need advice with equipment etc... Sorry I can't help more at the moment.

It won't be too long before the police arrest you anyway.....crimes against humanity ....for painting those rails.....

12 hours ago, Fly In My Soup said:

It won't be too long before the police arrest you anyway.....crimes against humanity ....for painting those rails.....

I hope not. If it were to be a shelf queen I'd happily just clear coat them. But I'm sure the paint will look ok?

10 hours ago, Geehawk said:

Fantastic workmanship. 

Where do you get your tube?

Seems easy to get in the States as they still use steel for automotive brake lines, seems to be far more uncommon in the UK though.

Thanks. I buy it usually from an eBayer in the uk. But he doesn't have it for long but i have a saved search so when i pops up i buy a few lengths.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Geehawk said:

Fantastic workmanship. 

Where do you get your tube?

Seems easy to get in the States as they still use steel for automotive brake lines, seems to be far more uncommon in the UK though.

Brass is relatively expensive but easier to get (my LHS has a decent range at close to eBay prices too).  You can also solder it like copper at much lower temperatures than steel.  I'm using a cooks blowtorch.  I've not tried bending it yet...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ghazghul said:

Brass is relatively expensive but easier to get (my LHS has a decent range at close to eBay prices too).  You can also solder it like copper at much lower temperatures than steel.  I'm using a cooks blowtorch.  I've not tried bending it yet...

Problem is I'd much rather weld stuff like this, as I have all the necessary gear. I have done soldering with copper brake pipe in the past for a different project, but fount it to be rather hit and miss. At least when welding you don't run the risk of separating joints you've already made, which happened to me a lot!

Really annoying thing is just over a year ago when we moved house I scrapped a load of "come in handy one day" stuff from my garage, including probably 20ft of small steel tube :crying:

Tonight I tackled the door panels. I struggle with styrene. I don't think I have enough patience so i'm glad they're done.

Started with some simple window winders.

fCu8IyD.jpg

VsBmUao.jpg

lHYdhqD.jpg

And here they are. Not too bad, and i'm sure they'll look better once painted.

M9IUlOp.jpg

iKz5IZs.jpg

TNSpQM8.jpg

I think that's the last of the styrene. On to the front bumper next...

Edited by toyolien
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 03:02, Jimplops said:

That's fantastic, you've got an amazing eye for detail.

Thanks very much.

Interior is spot on looking good!

I'm desperately trying to get this finished for the UK G6 at the end of may and rapidly running out of time... Anyway, I made a simple spare wheel mount. Not the best, but it will do just fine. I do have a tire strap to fit on which will make it look a little better.
LAiv8ED.jpg
eaKsKAL.jpg

Etch primered this pile of metalwork ready for the top coat.
obhttCs.jpg
aFafbhP.jpg
rQIhiJ6.jpg

And, finally made up a simple winch bumper.
ad8SRgC.jpg
VBqLifl.jpg
uk1QW0d.jpg
2TQTWAP.jpg

Test fitting the Warn winch.
NZiMjVp.jpg
LhpLgGB.jpg

And here's how it looks on the truck.
SDiNqCs.jpg
mtx0t4q.jpg
8e8Ofi4.jpg

I wanted to improve the approach angle as much as possible, so I recessed the winch into the grille as much as I could.

mHjHxGa.jpg
P4p3GDc.jpg

Next up should finally be the painting. I've already made a start on the interior, wheel wells and the flatbed. Pics to follow... Thanks for looking.
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Fly In My Soup said:

NZiMjVp.jpg

I want to reach into this picture and re align the askew warn decal:006:

Oh yes, i hadn't noticed. l'll fix that. It'll bug me otherwise now you've pointed it out...

This is so much more impressive than the far more common "look at the expensive 3rd party bits I've just bolted to my car" threads.

Loving it !

Edited by Geehawk