• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Scania R620 build

Managed an hour or so today.

20180201_145509.jpg

Rear suspension built up and fitted. More poor quality finish on some of the components meant more wet flating. Moulds must be really worn that this kit came from.

20180201_145531.jpg

Drive axles all done including nice metal sheilded bearings. Guy that sold it included a bearing kit with it but they were total junk so have gone in the bin, luckily I had a full kit in stock from RCbearings.co.uk. Ive even replaced the ones in the steering as it seemed rather loose, new bearing and it's much bettter.

20180201_200121.jpg

Axles all fitted and checked. Not starting the gearbox tonight as I've had some pain meds and it might not end well.:omgblinky:

This is sure breaking more boredom. Shame the plastics have been so poor so far bit surprised by that.

Edited by spannermonkey

20180202_114406.jpg

Shafts all assembled.

20180202_115525.jpg

Assembled work of art. Still amazes me how these things are built.

20180202_122524.jpg

Case on and fitted to the chassis. Using the standard Tamiya silver can, I may swop it for the 80t I have as I think the slow speed and high torque will suit the 6x4 chassis. Would have got a bit more done but the plastic is causing me more headaches, moulding marks and bad spru joins mean cleaning each piece up is taking an age.

Edited by spannermonkey
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fly In My Soup said:

Is the shackle supposed to foul on that black piece?

Akin to a bump stop to limit travel?

It's just the angle I took the picture at. There are proper bump stops for the axles, the black piece you can see is actually a fair distance from the shackle and I believe it's to mount the side skirts to. There is actually very little suspension travel on these, especially the rear.

• Like 1

So after battling with more badly marked plastic I've made a decision, going to clean it all up to a decent degree and build her up. Then I will decide if it's going up for sale or staying. If it stays it's being pulled to pieces, fully flated down and nearly every piece of plastic will be painted. If I had purchased it new it would have gone back, truly shocked how bad it is.

20180203_201923.jpg

Tanks, battery holder and skirts on. 

20180203_201916.jpg

Just a different angle, taken me a good couple of hours to get the parts this good and I'm still far from happy with them. 

Edited by spannermonkey

Spent an hour or so after lunch today on the Scania. Not much to show, lots more detailing of parts before fitting but it's coming along slowly.

20180204_183956.jpg

Edited by spannermonkey

Just thought I would add this, if anyone is considering getting into the Tamiya trucks and uses Facebook don't join any of the many groups if you dare to speak out if you disagree with a comment. Just been banned from 3 groups, that I have now realised share admin, for daring to say a Bruder trailer is a viable option. Bit off topic I know and if admin deem it inappropriate then I will happily remove but just wanted to warn everyone.

My thoughts exactly. One of the mods went on the attack as soon as I posted it, as soon as I pointed out we were not all on unlimited budgets I got banned. :huh: Doesn't bother me just hate the thought of people trying to get into a hobby being scared off by the massive cost when it's not necessary. My Bruder will work for what I want for a fraction of the cost of say a Goldhoffer.

The Tamiya trailers are a massive rip off price wise. The flatbed does nothing that a bruder trailer wont . I was more than happy with mine and when i sold it it went for great money 

The truck scene is about making and modding what You like

• Thanks 1

Glad it's not just me. Thought I had missed the point of the hobby. I enjoy the building and tinkering as much as the running. I went the truck route as it's all about customising. To be honest I prefer the company on here anyway. :good:

31 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

That's absolutely daft... Although sadly, I have seen similar things in the 'scale' world of off roaders. 

Yep, I’ve been banned from a certain forum for having a opinion and not being a sheep.

but you will find them in every area of the hobby sadly......

sod them, we still love you. :rofl::whistling: :good:

34 minutes ago, Rover Man said:

Might join one see if i can track down my old Scania. It was sold to a guy in France 

I've done that for my TF2, it went to someone in Prague, won several competitions, both for using it and 'showing' it and I never managed to track it down.

17 minutes ago, big gaz said:

Yep, I’ve been banned from a certain forum for having a opinion and not being a sheep.

but you will find them in every area of the hobby sadly......

sod them, we still love you. :rofl::whistling: :good:

It's probably even worse in the large scale stuff... Go on HPIBajaForum and bad mouth Turtle Racing :lol: they'll ban you then hunt you down and hang you :lol: 

• Haha 1

On 04/02/2018 at 19:38, spannermonkey said:

Spent an hour or so after lunch today on the Scania. Not much to show, lots more detailing of parts before fitting but it's coming along slowly.

20180204_183956.jpg

Edited by Convoy

Plenty of spare time today so got stuck in to the build

20180205_113925.jpg

I'm glad to say the white parts are perfect and really need very little work.

20180205_113955.jpg

Had to tweak the front a little but got it to line up nicely.

20180205_210326.jpgcab went together effortlessly.

20180205_210348.jpg

Looks good, few minor tweaks but it all lines up nicely. 

20180205_210512.jpg

Picture with the Bruder work in progress.

Edited by spannermonkey
  • Like 1

The interior still needs to be built but that's far better painted first. Going to stick it on the shelf for a while now I think. See if there is any interest at the next club meet, if not it will be pulled back to rails, painted and rebuilt with some bling.