• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hobao Hyper VS(e) Owners Thread

I've joined the club, getting rid of the Pro MT 4x4 and using this as my main basher now. The Pro MT is excellent for backflips and whatnot but I think this will be more reliable, and after using the Tekno EB48.2 for a quick bash I loved the handling of the buggy, especially how easy to control in the air they are.

I ordered from my local hobby shop and it turned up the next day (ordered Tuesday arrived yesterday).

I'm off work sick, which means yesterday I could sort out the Hyper.

Shocks: 45wt front, 40wt rear
Diffs (F-C-R): 10-10-7

Electrics: Hobbywing Max8, Castle 1515 2200kv, Savox SA-1283SG

Using a 16t pinion instead of the 14 included. See how temps are and possibly gear up.

RqoJWAEh.jpg

KhKJY80h.jpg

8Ylo21Vh.jpg

Edited by ostewart
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, bertberr said:

? Very nice Oscar... love the colour.  I'm a big fan of 1/8 buggies as general bashers, so long as you don't need mega ground clearance.

The places where me and @Bix bash are pretty clean and there isn't any long grass so a buggy is perfect :D

Do any of you guys know of a cab forward body which will fit the VS or indeed any of the Hyper cars? I like the look of the straight edge style which you see on the Kyosho Infernos......Any ideas?

So as you all know, the front body mount is weak stock, mine popped off after only a couple of jumps.

Fixed, used a long self tapping screw in a new hole in the plastic mount, I had to widen the hole in the aluminium plate for it to fit. I also drilled through the aluminium plate where the stock screw goes, and found just the right length screw and nut, so it doesn't foul the steering rack.

I have also changed the diffs to 5-7-3 as a starting point, it tends to push quite a bit when coming out of corners, temps on 18t are fine and it's quick!

ff5HqPZ.jpg

xR6YKXv.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/10/2018 at 18:24, ostewart said:

I've joined the club, getting rid of the Pro MT 4x4 and using this as my main basher now. The Pro MT is excellent for backflips and whatnot but I think this will be more reliable, and after using the Tekno EB48.2 for a quick bash I loved the handling of the buggy, especially how easy to control in the air they are.

I ordered from my local hobby shop and it turned up the next day (ordered Tuesday arrived yesterday).

I'm off work sick, which means yesterday I could sort out the Hyper.

Shocks: 45wt front, 40wt rear
Diffs (F-C-R): 10-10-7

Electrics: Hobbywing Max8, Castle 1515 2200kv, Savox SA-1283SG

Using a 16t pinion instead of the 14 included. See how temps are and possibly gear up.

RqoJWAEh.jpg

KhKJY80h.jpg

8Ylo21Vh.jpg

Great looking buggy! Those tyres and wheels look good, may I know where you got them from please? Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, TheoDR said:

Great looking buggy! Those tyres and wheels look good, may I know where you got them from please? Thanks in advance!

They're fastrax ones, got them from my local hobby shop but they're easy to find online.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/fastrax-1-8-eagle-tread-mounted-on-8-spoke-white-2-/rc-car-products/405163

• 2 months later...

Finally joined the VS club too! Seems to perform noticeably better than the SS I had. More stable, too!

Some minor hop-ups/changes:

- Stiffer orange springs from HoBao

- Front diff cleaned out of grease and now with 5k oil, centre diff with 9k oil

- Tyres and wheels from eBay here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-17mm-Hub-Wheel-Rim-Tires-Tyre-for-1-8-Off-Road-RC-Car-Buggy-HSP-180043/282054001259?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

- Shocks filled with 50wt oil

The tyres are a bit soft, but grippy. Found that I had to use HoBao's +4mm offset axles to prevent the front wheels from rubbing on the hubs when turning at full lock.

IMG_3060.jpg

Edited by TheoDR
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

i really wouldnt mind this buggy but the one i want( which is the pro version ) can only be purchased from abroad :( 

Only Germany - get in quick in case our collective act of stupidity actually goes through.

Just now, capri-boy said:

Only Germany - get in quick in case our collective act of stupidity actually goes through.

i dont mind ordering little items from abroad but something like this, i prob wouldnt.

How much difference is there? My Hyper 7 has a splattering of cnc Pro parts from the ST model. I personally get rid of the carbon fibre parts, just cant be doing playing cautious with it all the time. Aluminium is almost as good and no worries about nasty fibres.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

I'm getting my VSe ready for its first run out this morning, is it normal for the body to sit wonky because it fouls on the batteries?

If so is there a work around or mod for it, I've tried moving the battery tray back into the other set of mounting holes but it hasn't helped a great deal.

3 hours ago, Zoidburg said:

Hi all,

I'm getting my VSe ready for its first run out this morning, is it normal for the body to sit wonky because it fouls on the batteries?

If so is there a work around or mod for it, I've tried moving the battery tray back into the other set of mounting holes but it hasn't helped a great deal.

Yes it is. I've found no work around so far other than getting smaller batteries or a single 4s pack.

Ok, fair enough.

Is anyone else running 6s?

I tried it today on the 14 tooth pinion and it's brutal, spat a tyre off on the first pass (which probably says more about my glue job).

This is my first 1:8 scale and I'm really impressed how sturdy it is compared to 1:10.

I didn't really get far enough to asses performance, had to retreat home to re-glue tyres.

I ran it on 4s before that and 14T was too low, so I think I'm going to try a 16T and maybe 18T on 4s tomorrow and see how that goes before I venture back on to 6s again.

Yes it is. I've found no work around so far other than getting smaller batteries or a single 4s pack.
I've used a 5mm thick foam body mount ring on the front and a 2mm foam on the rear, it's raised the shell slightly but it now sits a lot more level.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bent my chassis today getting some air at the local skate park, anyone using the 7075 hop up chassis? Is it stronger or just lighter than the standard?

Also been trying to track down some CNC aluminium chassis braces but doesn't look like they make them, anyone aware of any?

Thanks in advance.

6 hours ago, Zoidburg said:

Bent my chassis today getting some air at the local skate park, anyone using the 7075 hop up chassis? Is it stronger or just lighter than the standard?

Also been trying to track down some CNC aluminium chassis braces but doesn't look like they make them, anyone aware of any?

Thanks in advance.

i think @Bix had same issue and doubled up the plastic braces.

what is the thickness of the 7075 chassis compared to the standard one? It could well be lighter only, but it will still be a bit stronger. ideally you want a 4mm 7075 chassis. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zoidburg said:

Thanks in advance.

As @Jumper said I’ve done a double rear brace mod and works a treat. Bashed the crap out of it and not bent the chassis since, that’s with a chassis that’s been bent back to straight a good few times too ??

Heres some pictures of the mod which should help.

fullsizeoutput_705.jpgfullsizeoutput_708.jpgfullsizeoutput_707.jpg

All you need to do is drill two holes in the chassis (I didn’t bother countersinking the hole for the screw). Then just dremel out a slot in the top of the diff housing mount for the top of the second brace ??

Any my other questions fire away ?

And in case you want evidence it works here’s a video of the beating ours took after doing the mod ? chassis still perfectly straight.

Edited by Bix
  • Like 1

I did try an alloy rear brace from China before doing the mod and it was worse than just one stock plastic brace!

812FD2DB-DD11-48FE-870B-005948A0F5C1.jpg

the double brace mod I done is cheaper too ??