• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hobao Hyper VS(e) Owners Thread

Hi All,

When researching before I bought mine I struggled to find much info or any experience of these wee beasties.

Hopefully we can remedy that. So please chime in with your experiences, tips, trials and tribulations and any other handy info or just show off your buggy.

For those not aware of the Hyper VS here is some basic info:

It's an 1/8 scale buggy that comes in Nitro and Electric form. Each is also available as an almost ready to run roller kit without electrics/radio/motor and a clear shell.

Rough specs:

• Length: 460mm
  • Width: 306mm
  • Height: 140mm
  • Wheelbase: 322mm
  • Weight: 3600g Approx (varies between electric and nitro)

RTR

25037538287_e54124eb71_c.jpg

Nitro Kit

26036120888_e4a5e0c197_c.jpg

Electric Kit

39876659332_0b8961544b_c.jpg

Some handy links

VS Manual : http://hobao-racing.com/en/images/pro_file/20150901204953@Hyper VS Instruction Manual.pdf

VS Exploded View : http://hobao-racing.com/en/images/pro_file/20150901204953@Hyper VS Exploded View.pdf

VS Parts List : http://hobao-racing.com/en/images/pro_file/20150901204953@Hyper VS Parts List.pdf

VSe Exploded View : http://hobao-racing.com/en/images/pro_file/20150901210926@Hyper VSe Exploded View.pdf

VSe Parts List : http://hobao-racing.com/en/images/pro_file/20150901210926@Hyper VSe Parts List.pdf

• Like 1

Also for interest I weighed everything that came in the kit to give a base weight for the electric version without servo, esc, receiver or motor.

Chassis complete with wing and wheel nuts: 2108g

39181559284_80de359ef5_c.jpg

Motor mounting plate, hardware and 15t pinion: 32g

28111533329_2b05d75240_c.jpg

Unpainted body with clips: 70g

38992540465_a47af00355_c.jpg

4x Wheels assembled with tyres and foams: 477g

39892371061_a697374287_c.jpg

For a grand total of: 2687g

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bertberr said:

Hmmm.... Interesting I'll compare that to one of my hyper 7's, there's no way a vs is going to be more than a H7...:D

It will certainly be interesting to see....

Another thought I've just had is, iirc the centre diff assy is the same on the VS as the 7. If that's the case then it may be possible to use a VSe motor mount to do an electric conversion on a 7. 

Yes I think you're right there as isn't the vs mount just a nicer coloured ss mount? And front and rear diffs themselves are the same too I believe, just the diff/gearbox cases that are different, more hyper 8 shape iirc.

3 minutes ago, bertberr said:

Yes I think you're right there as isn't the vs mount just a nicer coloured ss mount? And front and rear diffs themselves are the same too I believe, just the diff/gearbox cases that are different, more hyper 8 shape iirc.

The front and rear diffs are definitely the same as the 7 and according to their respective IPC's the SSe and VSe motor mounts have the same part number.

Very similar as it turns out... My single tray H7 comes in at 2177g inc. motor mount and painted jconcepts illusion body. About 500g for a set of Nanda blocks and we're pretty much bang on compared to the VS, though my 7 does have loads of CNC Ali bits on it, which weigh more, so perhaps the 7 is a tads lighter in std form. 

Still weighs a ton mind...:D

17 hours ago, bertberr said:

Very similar as it turns out... My single tray H7 comes in at 2177g inc. motor mount and painted jconcepts illusion body. About 500g for a set of Nanda blocks and we're pretty much bang on compared to the VS, though my 7 does have loads of CNC Ali bits on it, which weigh more, so perhaps the 7 is a tads lighter in std form. 

Still weighs a ton mind...:D

I certainly wouldn't want to take one to the ankle, even at relatively low speed.

This is my first 1/8 buggy and I just cant get over how massive everything is compared to a 1/10 :o and the VS  also seems well built even by 1/8 buggy standards.

How do you find the Nanda blocks? They look like a good alternative to the Proline Badlands.

The tyres themselves are pretty good, but the gluing job on the premounted jobbies isn't that great, pot luck really as to how long they'll last, just be prepared to re-glue them if the need arises.

I've got the proper PL badlands on one of my SCT's, and they are nice, not sure they're worth the extra though...

ESC turned up yesterday from China in record time, less than 7 days from pressing the order button on ebay to my front door :o 

28206782229_2453d76118_c.jpg

Weighed in before fitting

39279584684_62256e083f_c.jpg

In the car for a test fit with the batteries and servo

28210901209_8c7b37f2aa_c.jpg

Speaking of the servo, the servo bracket seems to be a rather poor design my servo has the cable exiting out the side near the base (as do most from my googling) and the servo bracket fits flush to the sides of the servo, I'm either going to have to take a chunk out of the bracket out or mod the servo to have the cable out of the bottom.

On 31/01/2018 at 14:35, OllieNZ said:

ESC turned up yesterday from China in record time, less than 7 days from pressing the order button on ebay to my front door :o 

28206782229_2453d76118_c.jpg

Weighed in before fitting

39279584684_62256e083f_c.jpg

In the car for a test fit with the batteries and servo

28210901209_8c7b37f2aa_c.jpg

Speaking of the servo, the servo bracket seems to be a rather poor design my servo has the cable exiting out the side near the base (as do most from my googling) and the servo bracket fits flush to the sides of the servo, I'm either going to have to take a chunk out of the bracket out or mod the servo to have the cable out of the bottom.

I know all about the servo mount, i had to cut a little off it fit my servo......pain in the hoop!  Also the battery and esc tray are quite small, it can sometimes be a pain to fit the battery and wiring under the body. The car seems pretty tough though as i have yet to break mine..

• Like 1

Just wanted to say good choice with the ESC, i have two and they perform great although the LVC setting on them are never accurate so you will have to mess around with the settings to get things right. Also a note on the Nandas, i've used them for years but they come unglued and the foams break down and turn to dust lol....you get what you pay for...

• Like 1

Hi @RCpete,

I was hoping you'd chime in :D 

Those hobbywing ESC's are well rated where ever they're mentioned and for the money it seemed a no brainer. I'm still waiting for the motor, I've gone with a 2250kv 4076

Cheers for the tips, how hard are the Nandas to unglue from new? I've also read the wheels that come with them aren't brilliant so I'm considering ordering a set and ripping them off and gluing them onto the Hobao wheels (or another set of rims). 

Also do you mind sharing any shots of yours?

Hi @OllieNZ

I can also confirm that the Hobbywing ESC is a cracking bit of kit, I have the  WP-8BL150 also and it is running 6S on my 2000KV Leopard in my Hyper 7, without any issue!

Tyre wise I have the Nando blocks and although cheap and cheerful if you glue them properly they hold out fine on the rims (I got mine from Modelsport so assuming we are talking the same), I boiled mine to get the old glue off and then re-gluing them,  I also have a cheap set of wheels and tyres from eBay and again if you glue them properly they seem OK, I was running them on 6S at the weekend and it was a savage beast!

25 minutes ago, Gavster29 said:

Hi @OllieNZ

I can also confirm that the Hobbywing ESC is a cracking bit of kit, I have the  WP-8BL150 also and it is running 6S on my 2000KV Leopard in my Hyper 7, without any issue!

Tyre wise I have the Nando blocks and although cheap and cheerful if you glue them properly they hold out fine on the rims (I got mine from Modelsport so assuming we are talking the same), I boiled mine to get the old glue off and then re-gluing them,  I also have a cheap set of wheels and tyres from eBay and again if you glue them properly they seem OK, I was running them on 6S at the weekend and it was a savage beast!

If the wheels are ok I'll just reglue them when they come off.

Hopefully I'll get to 6s later in the year, I bought 2 new fluoreon 2s packs just before Christmas.

The tyres will come off very quickly, or at least part of them will, I would really do the gluing before they come off as it will ruin your first bit of fun on the first outing.

6S is mad, I have been running 5S up until this weekend but picked up 2x 6S LiPo bricks for £30 last week but also changed my pinion to a 20t instead of 17t and I have to say it is great!

2 hours ago, OllieNZ said:

Hi @RCpete,

I was hoping you'd chime in :D 

Those hobbywing ESC's are well rated where ever they're mentioned and for the money it seemed a no brainer. I'm still waiting for the motor, I've gone with a 2250kv 4076

Cheers for the tips, how hard are the Nandas to unglue from new? I've also read the wheels that come with them aren't brilliant so I'm considering ordering a set and ripping them off and gluing them onto the Hobao wheels (or another set of rims). 

Also do you mind sharing any shots of yours?

i'll hopefully get some pics up later, is it a hobbywing motor aswell? Providing you dont go crazy with gearing you should be fine with temps, also 4s should be plenty on this setup.

On 05/02/2018 at 17:25, RCpete said:

i'll hopefully get some pics up later, is it a hobbywing motor aswell? Providing you dont go crazy with gearing you should be fine with temps, also 4s should be plenty on this setup.

Nah, just a cheap ebay black can, That way if I don't like it or kill it playing with gearing it's no big loss.

Finally had the chance to finish up the car (mechanically) and give it a quick 30 sec test blast. Still need to decide on a paint scheme for the body.

As it stands....

26311178588_be6936b5e4_c.jpg

25312309577_aebc8e8549_c.jpg

Spec list for mine

ESC: QuicRun 8BL150

Radio: FlySky GT3C

Servo: TGY1501

Motor: Black Can 4076 2250Kv

The final weigh in....

40151497312_9420d86062_c.jpg

plus the batteries

25020376567_8245b811dd_c.jpg

For a grand total of 3728g, so definitely quite a heavy beast. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, OllieNZ said:

I was hoping to get out this afternoon but the weather isn't playing ball.

Nice looking setup Ollie, you'll have a blast when you get out in some decent weather lol...

7 minutes ago, RCpete said:

Nice looking setup Ollie, you'll have a blast when you get out in some decent weather lol...

Cheers Pete :good:

Any thoughts on the settings for the ESC? I've only set the lipo cell count setting so far, the brake felt good on the wet tarmac but I'm wondering about the punch? It's currently around 50% (level 5/9)  and it felt a bit slow TBH. What do people normally do? Crank it to the max and turn it down if needed? Or bring it up a notch at a time until you feel it's as quick as you can handle?

When you say slow do you mean top speed or acceleration? Punch controls acceleration so if its a bit slow on the take off maybe notch it up a level or two. If its top speed your looking for try changing the gearing.....but dont go crazy. I changed the stock spur from the 48  to a 46 and run a 19 pinion, with 2000kv motor on 4s its plenty fast for me.