• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Bruder low loader to Tamiya conversion.

I'm fairly sure this has been covered before but thought I would share my build. A ruptured disc in my lower back has forced me to take time off work and take it easy. This has lead to me being very bored so I decided this is a project I could tackle and doing a build thread passes a little more time.

A recent eBay code got me this little beauty for just over £20 so I decided to give it a bit of a stretch and use it for displaying a couple of model steam engines I have had for several years. This will be far from a true scale build but I aim to put it behind a Tamiya truck so it needs to be a decent job.20180111_112850.jpg

Edited by spannermonkey
  • Thanks 1

I have looked at loads of ways people have stretched these and they all follow similar routes. Most use ally channel and some 10mm stock which is great but expensive. Quick call to a local metal stockist got me a big box of off cuts of ally plate and angle. Had to buy the 10mm stock but it was all under £10. 

So in between physio and MRI appointments I made a start.20180115_093913.jpg

20180115_094452.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Gaz. I have my next truck ready to pull this but haven't posted up what it is yet as it's going to be a while until I start it. Waiting for the warmer weather as I have a plan involving painting many parts.

20180115_112324.jpg

So 10mm square stock fitted, kept it nice and simple. 3 holes each side with M4 thread in and some nice stainless cap heads from underneath. Added 100mm to the bed.

20180115_154728.jpg

Bit of the angle along each side and a piece of 2mm ally plate to bridge the gaps. Nothing fancy as it's all going to be hidden.

20180116_134447.jpg

That's the deck all braced and secure. Also as much as my back would allow today, even in my heated workshop the cold really got to it.

Screws are set like that to avoid some of the bracing underneath. Didn't see the point in removing too much strength as all the deck will be covered when I'm done.

Managed to get the neck extended today.20180116_140549.jpg

Then shockingly the wife said I could work inside, she must want something.

20180117_164851.jpgso out came the plasticard

20180118_170657.jpg

20180118_203851.jpg

That's me done for the day. Pleased with the results so far. Just waiting on a reply from an old friend to help decide if the deck will be wooden or plasticard. For the life of me I can't remember what the floor was in our old low loader for moving the steam engines. Swaying towards painted steel as we used to move them in steam.

11 hours ago, spannermonkey said:

Screws are set like that to avoid some of the bracing underneath. Didn't see the point in removing too much strength as all the deck will be covered when I'm done.

That makes sense now :yes: good job on the rest aswell :good: 

Thanks for the comments. I can see why people are puzzled with the bolt placement as a nice straight line is pleasing. I have seen these things stretched massively but I'm being conservative, enough room for my 2 steam engines and a few accessories. Neck stretch is purely to get the pin position where I want it as Tamiya seem to hang trailers off the back of the American kit and it's still a bit far back on Euro stuff. When it's finished it will be a little longer than standard Tamiya trailers.

20180120_151534.jpg

Neck filled in today. Needs a little more work on the chassis extension at the top of the picture once it's fully cured.

20180117_160041.jpg

Finished these up as well.

20180120_171613.jpgBox made up for the winch. Just need to make a handle for the tool box lid part.

20180119_150610.jpg

Quick test behind the Grand Hauler. Truck that will pull it is a touch shorter so I'm pleased with the length.

• Like 1

They are addictive and expensive. Lol. I started with 1 as a great to myself, then it had to have a trailer. Then comes the ally wheels etc oh and let's not forget the second truck and a low loader. :lol:

• Haha 1

You could build a house USING the RC's you've bought!!

Know what you're saying - for me it's more 'could have done that kitchen refit / garden rebuild' rather than actual house.

I reckon in the last 15 years I've spent that per year in 'k'.

Al.

• Haha 1

Didn't get much done today after a hard physio session left me in a fair amount of pain.

20180120_171649.jpg

Removed the toy landing gear and blanked the hole off. Some more realistic wooden blocks will be fabricated for it to sit on.

Then came my disaster. Took it out to the workshop to make up the new stainless rubbing plate. Mounts worked out perfectly, plate was spot on. Holes I drilled, well erm just no. No idea what happened with my measurements but they are a country mile out. That needs to be re cut now but by that point I was cross and hurting so it's a job for tomorrow.

Did have a go at the rear after tea for an hour.

20180120_171659.jpgclad one ramp and created a more scale light.

• Thanks 3

Loving the amount of detail you putting on :good: are you going to put all the lights on like a beacon side markers and all that sort of stuff ?

and I know this has nothing to do with the build but are they potatoes in with the oranges :017:

4 hours ago, Isle of Wight Basher said:

and I know this has nothing to do with the build but are they potatoes in with the oranges :017:

They are as has been said some sorry looking pears. Lol. The fruit bowl is a feature of my truck build too. We eat loads of it, I'm proof it doesn't keep the Dr away. :lol:

There will be some flashing lights, full light kit may follow later but it's not a priority at the moment.

4 hours ago, Isle of Wight Basher said:

Great build, I'm considering my first Tamiya Truck so this thread is of great interest to me 

Thanks, not sure if you have seen it but there is my build thread of a Grand Hauler and flat trailer. The truck builds are all very similar so it will give you an idea of what's involved.

20180122_155944.jpgGot this far yesterday. Supports made and fitted for new bed plate.

20180123_152720.jpgTake 2 on the bed plate was much better. 

Pin won't be fitted until I've decided which truck is pulling it so I can set the trailer gap as I want it.

Did intend on doing some more but working with the stainless and tools really took it out of me so that's all for now.

20180123_192511.jpgone last picture to show a nice neat row of bolts. ;)

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, spannermonkey said:

They are as has been said some sorry looking pears. Lol. The fruit bowl is a feature of my truck build too. We eat loads of it, I'm proof it doesn't keep the Dr away. :lol:

There will be some flashing lights, full light kit may follow later but it's not a priority at the moment.

I knew they must of been :lol: did look like potatoes though at first :yes: 

10 hours ago, spannermonkey said:

Thanks, not sure if you have seen it but there is my build thread of a Grand Hauler and flat trailer. The truck builds are all very similar so it will give you an idea of what's involved.

I have indeed and love it, the Black/Chrome look is a favorite of mine. I'll be starting with a Euro truck but no doubt it won't stop there :rolleyes: