• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losi1:6 Baja rey

Fly In My Soup

I'm loving the whole realistic drivetrain thing that these trucks are bringing us, if these sell well then maybe the big players will keep trying to figure out how to make them larger while keeping the weight down. Leccy trucks need to be as light as possible, but I wouldn't want something 5ive size with a plastic chassis, the X-Maxx is close, but poorly executed in my book. 

• 3 weeks later...

When this was announced, a few people made noises about "it'll probably have the same issues as the Baja Rey", what were those issues and have Losi sorted them, or do owners have to sort them? Can they even be sorted? 

The thing concerning me is that’ll be dropped like the R8. I cant stand Losi or Horizon, but I cannot seem to justify another £100 more for the UDR?

Theres 2/3 new RCs out this month id like, all within £200. The Erevo 2.0 at £639, the SDR at £739 and the UDR at £839. Im Traxxas’ biggest fan but I cant justify buying either over this. Does the Losi come with a rebranded Max 6?

Paypal just sent me a buy now pay later email as well..... cheers for that...

A lot of the time people say that a new car needs to be popular with racers first if it is going to survive and then be taken up by bashers, but I agree that this style of truck probably won't need racers to take it on, a great basher doesn't need world titles to make it sell. 

48 minutes ago, Tug said:

When this was announced, a few people made noises about "it'll probably have the same issues as the Baja Rey", what were those issues and have Losi sorted them, or do owners have to sort them? Can they even be sorted? 

The issues were a poorly designed front bulkhead that would split apart under 3S, use of small bearings in the front bulkhead and third member. The real crime is the overall design being very hard to work on. To get to that front diff means almost total disassembly. For pay off is it's super tough. 

SSD released replacements for both the bulkhead and third member. It's no where near the money pit levels of the Yeti platform though.

• Thanks 1

My heart says Traxxas. My head says keep the Berserker you don't need anything else. The size of the Losi is very appealing. If its a Hobbywing Max6/8ESC it may sway me, cause even as a huge fan boy, I don't like the Traxxas ESC, a Max 8/6 and the UDR is approaching £1k.

I just don't like Horizon as a distributor or Losi as a brand. Im very confused!

34 minutes ago, Tug said:

A lot of the time people say that a new car needs to be popular with racers first if it is going to survive and then be taken up by bashers, but I agree that this style of truck probably won't need racers to take it on, a great basher doesn't need world titles to make it sell. 

Hmm, is R/C racing even big anymore? I cant see anyone using a Traxxas to race, yet they're smashing it??

31 minutes ago, mond said:

The issues were a poorly designed front bulkhead that would split apart under 3S, use of small bearings in the front bulkhead and third member. The real crime is the overall design being very hard to work on. To get to that front diff means almost total disassembly. For pay off is it's super tough. 

SSD released replacements for both the bulkhead and third member. It's no where near the money pit levels of the Yeti platform though.

Ah, cheers for that. Losi could've sorted it with what is a totally new truck? 

Here's hoping! 

3 hours ago, Guns said:

My heart says Traxxas. My head says keep the Berserker you don't need anything else. The size of the Losi is very appealing. If its a Hobbywing Max6/8ESC it may sway me, cause even as a huge fan boy, I don't like the Traxxas ESC, a Max 8/6 and the UDR is approaching £1k.

I just don't like Horizon as a distributor or Losi as a brand. Im very confused!

You'll buy from Stalin but won't buy from Hitler? Horizon have been a bit crap with distributors but they aren't the evil incarnate that is Traxxas yet you'll buy from them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tug said:

Ah, cheers for that. Losi could've sorted it with what is a totally new truck? 

Here's hoping! 

Don't know. The SBR is upscaled. It's not like the Yeti XL was to the Yeti, similar but with differences. It's a big Baja Rey like the 5ive is just a giant 8ight.

11 hours ago, Guns said:

Hmm, is R/C racing even big anymore? I cant see anyone using a Traxxas to race, yet they're smashing it??

Racing is probably more popular than it's ever been, which maybe partly due to people loosing places to bash? I believe there's a lot of clubs in the States that have dedicated slash classes and I believe it was because of these slash races that everyone went short course mad. 

As the measurements showed, The UDR is not much bigger than the Revo, And about the same size as a Yeti XL, Even harder if you ask me for anyone, Let alone Traxxas to justify the cost, Someone try to explain to me how even Traxxas can charge an extra 200 quid over the price of there own Revo which has the very same electrics, There both brand new models(Some more than others), So what are you getting for the extra £200, It's not size or electrics.

If someone pulls out the SBR and you pall out your UDR,  Your gonna feel somewhat inadequate.  

I think the Losi is actually quite well priced given its size and specs. 

I'm definitely leaning towards the Losi. I know I said I was set on the new ERBE, but this new SCT is looking good! I just wanna see how durable it is now. 

Edited by Tug

5 hours ago, .AJ. said:

I’m 99% sold on the SBR, just a shame I’m 2-3 weeks away from being able to afford one :( 

Think yourself lucky, I'm two to three years away! :lol:

Mrs said no, then said ok lets go and get it. But then but i kinda dont wanna be the first with the Losi and dont know if Ill regret it when the Traxxas drops. So we ended up in Sainsburys not Wheelspin Models...

Edited by Guns

19 minutes ago, mond said:

Sainsbury's has a better beer section any way. Silver lining.

I work there (not that I shop at my own store on my day off) and Im basically tee-total. There was no positive to this outcome

Now this is directly from an admittedly Biased Traxxas forum but look at this undershot:

iuuWXJb.jpg

The two rear trail arms are longer on the Traxxas even though its smaller, which Im guessing translates into more suspension travel? Again this is on a Traxxas forum, but the general consensus was the Losi feels quite cheap compared with the Traxxas and the Traxxas has superior suspension travel, which I guess is very important on this sort of vehicle?

Ignoring the higher end 5ive and 8ights, it wouldnt be the first time Ive heard of Losi’s being a drop off in quality since before. I wqs never really impressed with my last Losi SCBE, so who knows. Its a Traxxas forum after all? More pictures however

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthread.php?9081923-Traxxas-UDR-Comparison-Pictures