• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1:6 crawler Ford superduty build

It's not very often I'm out of my depth in the RC world....but crawlers are something I've not really done before....!

I've driven friends 1/10 scalers/crawlers etc etc but my heart was never in it enough to warrant building my own.

Until I recently got sent a thread from a friend showing a stateside RC forum detailing a Japanese man scratch building a 1/6 crawler around a toy hard body (ford super duty f350 2nd gen)

It looked amazing when complete.

So I decided to start my foray into crawlers by, hopefully....emulating that build.

(I will include pics long the way from the 'master' build)

I will obviously need help from any peeps with more knowledge on crawlers than me (everyone!) To get through most stages of the build!

Here's what I'm aiming for (build by 'hiroki' )

First thing first!

Body - I needed a body, here's what it started out like ( in both builds)

A 'Fastlane'® Ford F350 superduty 1:6 (toy grade)

ford-f-350-f-250-f-150-axial-scx10-fast-

26341055735_31e2283a12_c.jpg

Hiroki's and also mine are red, I've taken the body off already (kept the original plastic 'chassis' for perfect pre made wheel wells! )

S4YRCeb.jpg

4m1fPhH.jpg

26068178560_9a046a58df_c.jpg

Complete with bizarre fake Audio install in the rear bed that's actually a working FM radio....

emuvmg6.jpg

zQmPcYN.jpg

tKynk8Q.jpg

lACiskJ.jpg

Lots of works to do on the body / interior alone !!!

Edited by Fly In My Soup

Make them yourself, not that hard to do really, especially considering the above saving.

I don't know if carbon is your thing, but Dean @Titaniumrc makes some really nice stuff.

For me, I'd just make them myself you have good enough measurements to do it, buy some high grade alloy and away you go, getting it roughly done with an angle grinder then finish off with Dremel and file(s) and finally off to a powder coaters if you want a solid 'production' finish.

Just now, RC4WD fan said:

£255 for 2 peaces of metal :o definitely better options like big gaz and OHO have said :yes: 

Just now, Oh How Original said:

Make them yourself, not that hard to do really, especially considering the above saving.

Yes, for once I wanted to take the easy route....whereby someone with a water jet/laser cutter does the job for me and I give them around £80-100

Or so I thought.....

Oho, you stated what I'd already concluded in my mind.... Carbon is easy to work with so i may craft some myself.....if I can find a 70cmX400 sheet of 5mm thick carbon...lol....sigh

I'll have a rethink over the weekend, thanks for the link, I'll hit titanium up and see what they say.

5 minutes ago, Fly In My Soup said:

Yes, for once I wanted to take the easy route....whereby someone with a water jet/laser cutter does the job for me and I give them around £80-100

Or so I thought.....

Oho, you stated what I'd already concluded in my mind.... Carbon is easy to work with so i may craft some myself.....if I can find a 70cmX400 sheet of 5mm thick carbon...lol....sigh

I'll have a rethink over the weekend, thanks for the link, I'll hit titanium up and see what they say.

For making it yourself, you'd be better with alloy.

I mentioned carbon because that's what Dean works with most, he might do alloy too, I'm not 100% sure.

Crafting it yourself wouldn't be too hard, a couple of templates based off your measurements and you'd just need to take your time.

Would definitely be cool to have a 100% custom chassis that nobody else has :D 

Just now, Oh How Original said:

For making it yourself, you'd be better with alloy.

I mentioned carbon because that's what Dean works with most, he might do alloy too, I'm not 100% sure.

Crafting it yourself wouldn't be too hard, a couple of templates based off your measurements and you'd just need to take your time.

Would definitely be cool to have a 100% custom chassis that nobody else has :D 

It's finding the time to devote that's the hardest part!!! I'll get my thinking hat on !

I started painting the body in sections tonight as I had a spare hour

Here's a close up of colour

hylGa09.jpg

Bed painted, 4 Coats over silver base

a0hMeXF.jpg

iRaHMqo.jpg

u13wQND.jpg

ynNH3zP.jpg

9zT4crd.jpg

Beds top Bump strips simply been scotch brute, Matt black and re-fit

z7AZB3A.jpg

Bed floor painted in Matt black 2 coats, then one coat of laqcuer

0e0MUKc.jpg

Then I tarted up a seat as best I could

Start off, it's a bit 'max power cha' in terms of colour etc

CRtb819.jpg

Masked rear off

clrnDOM.jpg

Scotch brite then Matt black, 3 coats

Bby9KC8.jpg

From rear after masking removed

rHWhbwT.jpg

Flatted then 1 more top coat of Matt black

fLLd1Wa.jpg

Final touch, two piece fabric inlay, simply cut by eye with a new pair of scissors I 'borrowed' from wifey

eNicGWj.jpg

ruIkJIh.jpg

Mock up, still more on the seats to do, interior and other seat is up next!!

ESL38DZ.jpg

Will get better pics tomorrow when I start interior, dash, headlining, quarter interior cards etc etc

Not fantastic but I work with what I have and what's around me, in this case........Matt black spray paint, super glue, pvc tape, wet n dry sandpaper, scissors (sharp), and lastly fabric ( liberated from one new thick black sock!!!)

Edited by Fly In My Soup
  • Thanks 1

Just seen the Defender body from China..£ 180.00!!!!! What planet are these manufacturers on? If crawling wasn't that popular , These would have been about £20 like they were a few years ago.Beautiful shell but thats just outright robbery! Saying that, some brain dead person will buy it .

J

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-10-Land-Rover-Defender-D110-Wagon-RC-Rock-Crawler-Car-Shell-Body-Set-Parts/162733021539?hash=item25e3a4d963:g:9eEAAOSwhOxZ-YAb

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, yoodoo said:

Just seen the Defender body from China..£ 180.00!!!!! What planet are these manufacturers on? If crawling wasn't that popular , These would have been about £20 like they were a few years ago.Beautiful shell but thats just outright robbery! Saying that, some brain dead person will buy it .

J

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-10-Land-Rover-Defender-D110-Wagon-RC-Rock-Crawler-Car-Shell-Body-Set-Parts/162733021539?hash=item25e3a4d963:g:9eEAAOSwhOxZ-YAb

I like the eBay shop name of toucan hobby UK.....wonder whereabouts Hong Kong is in the u.k?

:009:

• Haha 1