• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Mauler Rock Crawler Owners Thread

johninderby

11 minutes ago, wombat said:

Hi @thesnake505, in what way is it killing the driveshafts ?, my mauler has the hsp diffs, traxxass rx, tx, and esc and the stock propshafts and never broken one, even when used with 2s

The only problem ive had was it kept destroying the osf axle end casing and steering hub, and bending the axle driveshaft, which was due to the super grippy deepwoods tyres on it. I fitted different tyres and have had no breakages since

so the originals the rear prop plastic outer shattered in to a million pieces.

The first set of after market ones sheard a pin in the cv joint and the 2nd set is Fastrax FTAX23 - Fastrax Axial Hd Universal Driveshafts (2) Honcho/Dingo ** CLEARANCE ** | Axial SCX10 Dingo Spares | Wheelspin Models

and the cv joint has fallen apart on these.,

• 4 months later...

So I am beyond novice with regards to RCs but need a little help please. 

Been using the stock 2000 nimh battery and got a further 3000 nimh one. Both have been pretty useless from the start and only last a few minutes each. I’m guessing we fried them??? Just got a 5000lipo 2s 7.4v battery and charger. Charged battery and put it in last night. Moved the little connector to the Lipo position, Steering works but no power.  The motor is trying to move but then stops immediately and it is making a beeping noise. No idea what’s wrong. 

Would love your friendly help with this please. Keep it simple though! Thanks in advance. 

Hi, is the battery fully charged. with a 5000mah nimh i get about 3hrs run time with my mauler. Does everything work with a fully charged nimh , if so i would think that the lipo is faulty or not fully charged. Did you balance charge the lipo ?

• 7 months later...

Any mauler owners still on here? I was looking for something i could keep in the boot of my car for random walks/outings which i used to use my maverick scout for but alas they aren't available anymore so decided to go for a mauler. Now what i've seen (used to own a vantage and it was total junk) and read on ftx i may well come to regret it but just want something that's easy/cheap to fix for the kids to play with.

Aside from electronics and metal diffs what other upgrades do people recommend? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, stretch said:

Any mauler owners still on here? I was looking for something i could keep in the boot of my car for random walks/outings which i used to use my maverick scout for but alas they aren't available anymore so decided to go for a mauler. Now what i've seen (used to own a vantage and it was total junk) and read on ftx i may well come to regret it but just want something that's easy/cheap to fix for the kids to play with.

change esc and radio, better servo and the metal diff`s plus move electrics to rear and lipo to front position, only other weak point can be the drive shafts from transmission to axles once all this is done its a pretty capable solid rig

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stretch said:

Hi from an ftx mauler fanboy , i currently have 2 in my collection, the old one has a traxxass rx , tx and esc, metal diffs and has never let me down since i bought it 2nd hand 3 years ago, although now it has a proline cliffhanger body on it. My other one is the mauler 2 version, which comes with upgraded etronix electics and a very programmable transmitter. This one will also be getting a cliffhanger body when the weather gets warm enough to spray it. Parts are readily available and cheap for these and i cannot imagine not having one as they are so capable

• Like 2

Thanks guys sounds like it may not be a bad decision after all! Ordered some diffs the ones from a couple of posts above. Anyone got any links for centre shafts?

• Like 1

I would see how they last, never had a problem with mine. Have you got the mauler 2 with the better electrics. Another good upgrade is metal beadlocks and better tyres, but they are very capable as standard

• Like 1

It's second hand and already got a 1080 fitted which i would have fitted anyway as i have a spare in my parts bin. What length shafts would i need i think i saw 170mm on here somewhere?

• Like 1

Don't know about shaft length but can check for you tomorrow. Was it one of the two decent looking ones that have just been on ebay ?, was nearly tempted myself but can't justify another one 😒

Just checked, with on end disconnected the shortest length os 115mm, don't know about length as shaft comes apart, but fitted with suspension at full droop the shaft measures 140mm end to end

Saw that green one, looked impressive and hardly used 👍

Edited by wombat
more text
  • Like 1

Brilliant thanks for that mate i'll have a poke around for some el-cheapo ones.

Yeah looked good and came with batteries as well all for a decent price.

• Like 1

As I said, never had a problem with the centre shafts, even using 2s. It's worth fitting the angled main steering arm from an axial scx 10 to avoid it hitting the diff and filing the lugs off the front hubs to improve the steering angle 😉

Ok I won't bother with shafts for now then. Is this the arm I need? https://greensmodels.co.uk/products/axial-scx10-ii-ar44-stainless-steel-wide-angle-steering-link-set-for-axle-mounted-servo if not do you have a link?

The Mad Mauler has arrived!

PXL_20240301_141105056.jpg

What tyres do people recommend for it for mix of trails/rocks?

Edited by stretch
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, stretch said:

Ok I won't bother with shafts for now then. Is this the arm I need? https://greensmodels.co.uk/products/axial-scx10-ii-ar44-stainless-steel-wide-angle-steering-link-set-for-axle-mounted-servo if not do you have a link?

The Mad Mauler has arrived!

PXL_20240301_141105056.jpg

What tyres do people recommend for it for mix of trails/rocks?

Those look like they would be pretty decent already, if they are 2.2 or even 1.9 traxars canyons are very good. Use them on the outlaw crawler.

5 hours ago, stretch said:

Looks like it should fit, mine looks different because its all metal in one piece, came from aliexpress'

As for tyres been running mine on axial ripsaw tyres which are excellent, and more recently using some hyrax copies from injora, which perform very well, Yours looks to have pretty decent tyres on it  as it stands