• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas trx4 owners thread.

Gaz!

Just now, Stormbringer said:

Im pretty sure the standard tyres are about 120mm ish anyway so 118 will be smaller 

The 1.9 tyres on mine now are 118mm and in my personal opinion they are just about right 

• Like 1

You can use 2.2 wheels on it but you would need the canyons that come with the TRX6 which are same dia as the 1.9 canyon tyres

Running bigger tyres on it may rub body/fenders etc 

5 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

You can use 2.2 wheels on it but you would need the canyons that come with the TRX6 which are same dia as the 1.9 canyon tyres

Running bigger tyres on it may rub body/fenders etc 

You can with a bit of struggle put 2.2 wheels on/in 1.9 tyres might be with locking into 🤔

I dont see what advantage it would give except for slightly heavier wheels and if you want heavier wheels just add wheel weights to the central part of the wheel 

5 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

I dont see what advantage it would give except for slightly heavier wheels and if you want heavier wheels just add wheel weights to the central part of the wheel 

It’ll give  sod all advantages just for looks 🤣

• Haha 1

As usual looking at accessories for my new Trx4. Anyone use metal chassis guards/skid plates?  Is protection necessary? Do they add useful low down weight or cause new issues? Also is the shock oil weight on the firm side out of the box or is this the best compromise for mainly trailing with a little crawling? I will replace the stock servo as first upgrade. 

Low  down brass is a good upgrade ie inside/outside portal covers and the steering C brackets along with the bits the rear portals attach to and i also added wheel weights to the beadlock wheels which is all unsprung weight 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Low  down brass is a good upgrade ie inside/outside portal covers and the steering C brackets along with the bits the rear portals attach to and i also added wheel weights to the beadlock wheels which is all unsprung weight 

Do the metal chassis protectors count as down weight?

What @Stormbringer said +focus on the portals and brass along with heavy wheels, then 2 stage foams to stop the tires folding over from all the extra weight.
Due to the extra weight this will affect its durability long term
eg roll overs that would be fine may snap panhards, so metal panhard is good, keep some things plastic to take the flex if there is a big roll.

Stock servo and metal horn upgrade is worth it for turning power if your adding weight, aim for 35kg+ and 7.4v if you want it to really pull its weight, then some form of brushless setup or esc upgrade to push out full bec voltage and amps to the servo.

The servo is only as good as its power source.

Enjoy, fun trucks, will make it way more stable on side hills and a good crawler great.
20221016_152106.jpg

Edited by Redback
  • Like 2

So some more bits arrived today and got them fitted, these things were genuinely a pleasure to fit. I did have a couple of issues though but not with the parts fitted today, the other day i fitted a cheap set pf propshafts but was worried about the longevity of them and rightly so as 1 of the shaft blew itself to bits during testing, other issue was i broke my 1.5mm alley key driver 

IMG_1819.jpeg

IMG_1818.jpeg

IMG_1815.jpeg

IMG_1816.jpeg

IMG_1817.jpeg

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

We used these on our TRX4's

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/fastrax-trx-4-stainless-steel-front-rear-centre-shaft-long-chassis-425437

Been out a fair few times and still going :good:

Thank you for the link, i have bought some other ones so will see what like these are and if they are terrible too i may just have to go for that, but ideally i would like black and red as thats the colour scheme i have decided on, this is what i have bought  the thought of the pins flying out is a concern with them though https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266155050514?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2GoyEi5qRLS&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=MRHag3XmRgm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edited by wolfie1

So, i am a complete novice when it comes to brushless setups, i have been doing some reading up and if anything im more confused and unsure what I actually need than when i was to begin with (so sorry to ask this as it’s probably been asked a million times before) so i want/need 1 of these using man logic, it has to be waterproof i want it to just stop on a hill when i take my finger off the throttle, i would like the traxxas plug as i will use the power tap to power everything such as lights, winch etc and i understand i will need to solder on a plug, i dont want it to be slower than the stock system but again i dont want it to be stupid fast and it needs to have torque, i do like the bluetooth tuning ones, but its not essential if it comes with a tuning card but dont want to plug it into a laptop to do this, so i think this is the right setup for me or am i completely wrong? Help please I understand that it is most likely a personal preference to what everyone likes but without a baseline to go by anything would be an upgrade to the stock system 🤣

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004959382904.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.8148356.2.240171f36YLhqJ&pdp_npi=2%40dis!GBP!£93.44!£93.44!!!!!%40211b88ee16822443901391428ef504!12000031159079405!sh its the 3300kv system im looking at with the trx plug would this be overkill?

or is this a better option to go for, i liked the other 1 better for the price 🤣 https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/334757/

Edited by wolfie1

I'm very new to crawling/trailing so only recently came across different motor/esc combos. If your a serious crawler then I believe a motor with FOC is the latest best type. The Fusion Pro  seems popular and has the esc integrated with the motor whereas the Axe are separate.  If your mainly just trailing then brushed motor with 1080 esc seems popular.  Too much choice! 

I’m on the fence about getting one of these for my TRX4 https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hobbywing-quicrun-fusion-pro-2300kv-sensored-brushless-2in1-1344884 I’m running the stock motor and a 1060 ESC at the moment might get a 1080 and a different motor but have always wanted to try a brushless system on one of my crawlers/trail rigs 🤔

27 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Ohh crap ive just gone and ordered 1 of these :insane:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hobbywing-quicrun-fusion-pro-2300kv-sensored-brushless-2in1-1344884

you guys are a bad influence on me :rofl:

I just have as well 🤣 possibly might get one for the Gmade buffalo if it’s as good as they say 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1

I had looked into that type of motor as well after watching a video by rc girl as she has 1 in her defender, the bit i dont understand is the kv bit, obviously the higher the number the more powerful, but what is too small, just right and too large. Obviously for a monster truck the bigger the better but a crawler isint a monster truck

Cant go wrong with the axe / fusions, the fusions were not as reliable as the axe when it comes to bec and burnouts maybe the pro has fixed the teething issues. The low down control on those is 2nd to none.
I run the 550l 3300kv in our trx4, wonderful combo.

1 hour ago, wolfie1 said:

I had looked into that type of motor as well after watching a video by rc girl as she has 1 in her defender, the bit i dont understand is the kv bit, obviously the higher the number the more powerful, but what is too small, just right and too large. Obviously for a monster truck the bigger the better but a crawler isint a monster truck

not really 

the higher the kv the faster the motor but less torque

the lower the kv the lower speed but more torque