• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas trx4 owners thread.

Gaz!

Just got RC Car Action Mag, they are comparing the TRX4 with the Axial, come out infavour of TRX but say it tips over easy, are you putting weights on chassis? if I go for it?

:wheelchair:

Thanks

17 hours ago, mamodman said:

Just got RC Car Action Mag, they are comparing the TRX4 with the Axial, come out infavour of TRX but say it tips over easy, are you putting weights on chassis? if I go for it?

Thanks

It tips a little easy but it also has great clearance over others, removing up top scale accessories and adding things like a bit of fuel tube onto shocks limits some side tilt. I have a good few trucks but i would say the trx is best but does weigh a bloody ton but this also helps it grip, good clearance with the portals and the mud guards work great. A  good few upgrades as bits die which seems to be the same with all my bloody traxxas trucks

• Like 1

Fitted some more bling to the front of mine :whistling:

79424_A01-490_A-4781-9_AB8-7_ED610_FBF28

And found a neat replacement spare wheel/tyre, (axial 1.9” plastic rim with a maxxis trepador tyre). looks loads better without the big bulky Traxxas one. Also got a cover for the new tyre too....

92514612-_C34_B-41_D2-89_C5-73_EAB665_A8

F0274_A2_A-5529-4_E8_F-_BB53-_DFF6_C2733

looking forward to the last shakedown before the g6 :good:

• Like 2

just rolling Thanks for your advice, what parts go, and are they easy to fit, I've never spent that much on a truck, and I do like the Bronco ;-)

13 hours ago, just rolling said:

It tips a little easy but it also has great clearance over others, removing up top scale accessories and adding things like a bit of fuel tube onto shocks limits some side tilt. I have a good few trucks but i would say the trx is best but does weigh a bloody ton but this also helps it grip, good clearance with the portals and the mud guards work great. A  good few upgrades as bits die which seems to be the same with all my bloody traxxas trucks

9 hours ago, mamodman said:

just rolling Thanks for your advice, what parts go, and are they easy to fit, I've never spent that much on a truck, and I do like the Bronco ;-)

My speedo went after 2 battery's, the steering servo seems to be a problem for most so that got took out, the steering horn went after about 10 mins, i also removed the servos for locking diffs as i just wanted a good reliable truck. Hobbywing 1080 is a super esc for about £40, you can use tie wraps etc to lock diffs or about £30 to fully lock them with the traxxas parts / spools? alloy servo horn about £5-10. I run mine on 3s for good run times and mostly just the slower gear, i have the outback which was great for the money and also the carrisma is good too but they do get tied up / caught in twigs etc where the trx just plows through most

• Like 1

just rolling Thanks, you'd think the diff locks would be more reliable at the price, I take it that is the locking diff to lock front or rear, does that involve a new Transmitter/receiver.

Steering servos seem to be a problem for all the trucks sadly, so now do I go landy or Bronco, there is something about it that makes it look massive ;-) - this all started because I saw a Honcho going cheap on a site :D still like the raw nakedness of the Honcho - so many cars to choose from, at least I'm down to 3 - 

Thanks

6 hours ago, just rolling said:

the steering servo seems to be a problem for most s

1 minute ago, mamodman said:

just rolling Thanks, you'd think the diff locks would be more reliable at the price, I take it that is the locking diff to lock front or rear, does that involve a new Transmitter/receiver.

Steering servos seem to be a problem for all the trucks sadly, so now do I go landy or Bronco, there is something about it that makes it look massive ;-) - this all started because I saw a Honcho going cheap on a site :D still like the raw nakedness of the Honcho - so many cars to choose from, at least I'm down to 3 - 

Thanks

I think its more the servos that are the problem with the locking diffs or maybe just that you can not adjust the end points on the locking servos, mine were ok but i just wanted a truck to run so less possible problems when i locked them, you can still use the traxxas radio gear and maybe use the spare channels for lights etc if u don't use them for locking diffs. They are good and much heavier than the axial trucks etc so they do tend to plow through most stuff, i find the mud guards are great and they get over more with the portal axles

just rolling I get your point but being in chair, mine won't be getting the more heavy treatment most people like yourself would give it, so I'd probably get away with a lot more, although I have sent a lipo criterion into duck pond - grandson retrieved and it still works,

Fred

p.s. just put lights in Carisma, think I'll put the spare rear ones into spots of some sort 

Edited by mamodman
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, mamodman said:

just rolling I get your point but being in chair, mine won't be getting the more heavy treatment most people like yourself would give it, so I'd probably get away with a lot more, although I have sent a lipo criterion into duck pond - grandson retrieved and it still works,

Fred

p.s. just put lights in Carisma, think I'll put the spare rear ones into spots of some sort 

the trx are good and different to the smaller type carrisma etc as bigger and weigh more so good to plow, i enjoy my ftx outback ..carrisma and trx, there all a little different

• Like 1

just rolling yes but the trouble is the room they take up - and of course getting it through the front door without 'I hope that isn't another car!'   :crying:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mamodman said:

just rolling yes but the trouble is the room they take up - and of course getting it through the front door without 'I hope that isn't another car!'   :crying:

yup i got the buggers all over the place lol

• Haha 1

Just my 2 Penn'orth ...

I swapped my stock steering servo after 1st run, few runs later I blew a diff servo. I have replaced both diff servos with hobbyking tg 9e, huge price of £2.41 each!

Bought 4 and 2 fitted still running 6 months later despite being submerged several times

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2018 at 22:43, big gaz said:

wonder how how long before this body gets released?

That is one lovely colour for Truck 

Fred

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just noticed a small amount of play with motor mount on my trx4. 

I removed the motor and checked the motor was nipped up nicely to the motor plate, which was fine. 

I then refitted the cover that locates the motor plate and there is still a small amount of play.

I'm going to pick up a aluminium motor plate and see if that helps. 

Anyone else have this?

Welli thought i would put my first post up about my TRX-4 (got it monday  10th used it every day :D)

I wouldnt say its jazzed up but i have made some changes to better suit me :)

(i 3d printed a new frunt bumper as the original just got in the way) - a little scrached up but that adds character  (i will re-design this when i get a winch)
DSC_0029.thumb.JPG.fb9e967e4bc247ef3dd6e7b8a19df3e1.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I want to upgrade to a brushless ESC & motor. I have a Fuze 3900kv motor and 130amp ESC out of a Losi Ten Rally X. The motor is 4 pole and sensorless and could be a bit coggy in the Losi at slow speed, but if I drop down to a 9 tooth pinion do you reckon I could get away it in the TRX4. I run 2s and I am not looking for crazy top speed. Do you think I will loose low speed control with this set up. BTW what shaft diameter and pinion size is on the stock brushed motor? Cheers, Nick