• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

thoughts on the savage xs flux?

tanveer

thinking of picking up a new savage xs flux as im driving past modelsport tomorrow afternoon, just thought id see what people think of them, there doesnt seem to be many aftermarket parts available for it from what i can see. is there any other alternatives to consider?

I've had one, whilst it was a tough little truck, it was in need of a LOT of parts after a year of my son driving it. But it was worth it. I sold it on as spares as I didn't like working on it, but now I kinda miss it & I'd have another.

20 minutes ago, Bigjimknickers said:

I've had one, whilst it was a tough little truck, it was in need of a LOT of parts after a year of my son driving it. But it was worth it. I sold it on as spares as I didn't like working on it, but now I kinda miss it & I'd have another.

everything iv read on the net seems to say they are a very strong truck apart from the drive train...i just want a cheapish fast brushless rc for about 300 pounds...

Just now, tanveer said:

why was that?

It really didn't click with me, it game me a "meh" kinda vibe. I enjoyed building it, and it's a cool truck to look at, but for me it didn't have anything else. I'd hate to think what it's like trying to work on, or repair it.

But then, I really don't like Savages in general, so that probably doesn't help.

I enjoyed my Firestorm more, that's a car I keep going back to.

15 minutes ago, Vr5fx said:

It really didn't click with me, it game me a "meh" kinda vibe. I enjoyed building it, and it's a cool truck to look at, but for me it didn't have anything else. I'd hate to think what it's like trying to work on, or repair it.

But then, I really don't like Savages in general, so that probably doesn't help.

I enjoyed my Firestorm more, that's a car I keep going back to.

yeah i can understand where your coming from, the savage platform generally has always seemed a bit hard to work on for me, iv had a few over the years nitro ones but still with the TVP chassis. 

1 hour ago, Bigjimknickers said:

This! :D

I've had two or three (depending how you count :) ) once you sort the niggles they're a lot of fun and damn nigh indestructible while you're out but they're high maintenance as they eat their own drivetrain and everything takes ten times longer than it should because nothing on it is ever a straight forward couple of bolts and done.

When you've got one, you swear at it and it ends up in a box awaiting patience and diffs and when you don't you miss it and want another :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Guns said:

I personally think youd be much happier with HPI firestorm flux/Traxxas Rustler VXL

its pretty much between the savage xs and the rustler vxl, im kind of more leaning towards the vxl after reading about how everyone hates working on the savage xs lol...im gonna be sat up all night looking at rc's yet again lol

For what it's worth, they're not difficult to work on, just tedious as everything seems to involve dismantling half the truck.

Just to add to your dilemmas though, the VXL is great and I love them but they're pricey. For the same money at Modelsport you could get a Hyper VS or Losi SCBE.

I'd be looking at either of those over the XS as a potential alternative to the Rustler

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guns said:

The Hyper is a great shout, but with lipos and charger its well over budget.

Firestorm Flux?

I did want a firestorm flux initially, but everywhere seems to be out of stock of them. Modelsport, wheelspin, apex, and je models all sold out of firestorm flux..I just watched Jake billings review on YouTube of the rustler vxl. It's the latest review and it seems an awesome truck if a little expensive for a mostly plastic truck. I suppose traxxas charge a premium for there products. Il update the thread with what i buy as soon as iv been into modelsport :)