• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Actual laws about big petrol rc

just rolling

Howdy, whilst using my km x2, which i agree is loud, in the middle of a huge field in the rain with no one about. A police van seen me and drove straight over and mentioned a few different things ranging from me being in a housing estate and laws for the road aswell as me being a danger to the public plus other nonsense. I have plenty time for police and i would like to think that they are doing a good job but not today as i was in a huge field in the rain and no public and also explained i had full control plus a remote kill switch fitted. Any actual laws? thanks, just trying to have fun 

Edited by just rolling

Depends on the actual rules on where you was running it, if it's council then they may have rules about no running RC cars like my local park.  As for actual 'law' I don't know! - I doubt it.

The only danger is if you was running it when it was packed etc, which you wasn't, if you did hit someone I think you might get in trouble for that - the Police just being a little picky there and sounds like they had nothing better to do.

• Like 1

I totally agree if i was being silly or park full of people etc but am nearly bloody 40 year old and just trying to have a bit of harmless fun. Honestly it was crazy, no signs etc up and more of just a big field than a park, its just a shame when some one causing no harm and not being stupid is being harassed and quoted nonsense when so many are doing wrong and getting away with it, i just like rc and try to always be considerate towards others

• Like 1

They can do you under the disturbance/breach of the peace if they reckon you likely to hurt someone or property. Noise is normally a civil matter though. They probably had nothing else to do. 

I'll ask a mate of mine who's in the met and see what he says. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mond said:

They can do you under the disturbance/breach of the peace if they reckon you likely to hurt someone or property. Noise is normally a civil matter though. They probably had nothing else to do. 

I'll ask a mate of mine who's in the met and see what he says. 

Thank you, just like to know where i stand as i believe i was causing no harm, thank u

This may sound crazy but its true, its illegal to run petrol 5th scales on any public roads. you need a number and all the legal stuff as you would with a normal car.

ive had a fair few people ring the council and police regarding me ( i run on a park right next to me)https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Knaphill,+Woking/@51.32239,-0.6127088,375m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4875d635642d4af3:0x80e4c0bdca2e17be!8m2!3d51.320041!4d-0.6138439  but they were always too late to have a word but the council bloke ( ex cop)  managed to catch me one day. He was very understanding and also quit interested, he was talking about what to try and avoid doing and what not.  we agreed on a couple of simple rules (which he writ up and signed the following day)

a couple of the rules were...

don't operate the vehicle on Sundays 

don't operate the vehicle before 9AM and after 7pm

if under the age of 16 have an adult with you over the age of 18 ( recently 16)

don't exceed 60 minutes of run time in one place 

don't use the same piece of land over and over use the land provided evenly.

try and avoid using the cricket and footie pitches (both groups are the worst kind of people who use the park, arrogant loud mouthed twits who dump all there crap and rubbish all over the field . the footballer take up all the field all weekend when they could stick to say half the feild most of the time there not using a chunk of it yet they still section it off and start to go into little tantrums if anyone uses that bit for anything.     

Edited by Baja_Crazy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, just rolling said:

Howdy, whilst using my km x2, which i agree is loud, in the middle of a huge field in the rain with no one about. A police van seen me and drove straight over and mentioned a few different things ranging from me being in a housing estate and laws for the road aswell as me being a danger to the public plus other nonsense. I have plenty time for police and i would like to think that they are doing a good job but not today as i was in a huge field in the rain and no public and also explained i had full control plus a remote kill switch fitted. Any actual laws? thanks, just trying to have fun 

Define "field", an actual field (farmers grazing field bordered with hedges) or a green wedge of grassed land adjoining two housing estates?

Firstly , as RM briefly mentioned, it boils down to who owns the land, if it is indeed a privately owned field then it's tricky, technically the police cannot enforce any noise regulations conducted on private land, unless causing a disturbance to a direct neighbour, although you are also technically trespassing/and or causing criminal damage to the land by driving on it.

If its council owned land then the have the right to ask you to stop immediately, even if you claim that the is no visible signs to highlight any motor driven vehicle prohibition notices ( most public parks have these in place), but they will just spout " public endangerment " and screw you that way

My advice, find a new spot to bash.

5 hours ago, Baja_Crazy said:

This may sound crazy but its true, its illegal to run petrol 5th scales on any public roads. you need a number and all the legal stuff as you would with a normal car.

ive had a fair few people ring the council and police regarding me ( i run on a park right next to me)https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Knaphill,+Woking/@51.32239,-0.6127088,375m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4875d635642d4af3:0x80e4c0bdca2e17be!8m2!3d51.320041!4d-0.6138439  but they were always too late to have a word but the council bloke ( ex cop)  managed to catch me one day. He was very understanding and also quit interested, he was talking about what to try and avoid doing and what not.  we agreed on a couple of simple rules (which he writ up and signed the following day)

a couple of the rules were...

dont operate the vehicle before 9AM and after 7pm

if under the age of 16 have an adult with you over the age of 18 ( recently 16)

dont use the same piece of land over and over use the land provided evenly.

try and avoid using the cricket and footie pitches (both groups are the worst kind of people who use the park, arrogant loud mouthed twits who dump all there crap and rubbish all over the field . the footballer take up all the field all weekend when they could stick to say half the feild most of the time there not using a chunk of it yet they still section it off and start to go into little tantrums if anyone uses that bit for anything.     

just to put my two pence worth in on this,

a baja or any rc car is not subject to the rules of the road, ie; tax, insurance , mot etc,

i'm not saying go and run your 1/5 scale up and down the main street cos that would be a daft idea lol,

a 1/5 scale is classed as a toy car, it doesn't come under the mini bike type rules that get the mini bikes etc confiscated,

a motor vehicle needs to either be capable of carrying a passenger or be propelled by a person as in have handles on it like some council grass cutters and machinery,

as for the council bloke writing the rules out, he cant legally do that, all he can do is give you some advice guide lines,

but he can report you for noise, and that takes time to prove and process,

unless theres a by law in force prohibiting rc cars/ planes etc then you can run them on common land,

if you run in a farmers field, then as long as you have permission, then nothing can be done,

but having said that, its just a case of use common sense, move around to different areas, if anybody complains, be polite towards them and point out that your away from the houses, and your only there for an hour or two a week and things like that,

if they come at you waving a big stick or anything like that , then report them,

but when all said and done, just use common sense, always run a kill switch, don't run around kids and animals , and enjoy your hobby :D,

• Like 2

Cheers fellas, as i thought as long as ya using common sense and not being a tool / maniac. I shall just keep out of the way of housing and people best i can as i have been doing and hopefully next time he goes and pulls some other cars over, ideally ones carrying criminals

3 hours ago, spents said:

just to put my two pence worth in on this,

a baja or any rc car is not subject to the rules of the road, ie; tax, insurance , mot etc,

i'm not saying go and run your 1/5 scale up and down the main street cos that would be a daft idea lol,

a 1/5 scale is classed as a toy car, it doesn't come under the mini bike type rules that get the mini bikes etc confiscated,

a motor vehicle needs to either be capable of carrying a passenger or be propelled by a person as in have handles on it like some council grass cutters and machinery,

as for the council bloke writing the rules out, he cant legally do that, all he can do is give you some advice guide lines,

but he can report you for noise, and that takes time to prove and process,

unless theres a by law in force prohibiting rc cars/ planes etc then you can run them on common land,

if you run in a farmers field, then as long as you have permission, then nothing can be done,

but having said that, its just a case of use common sense, move around to different areas, if anybody complains, be polite towards them and point out that your away from the houses, and your only there for an hour or two a week and things like that,

if they come at you waving a big stick or anything like that , then report them,

but when all said and done, just use common sense, always run a kill switch, don't run around kids and animals , and enjoy your hobby :D,

I agree with the points you made About a rc car not needing tax/not/insurance due to it being a hobby product (not a toy) that's incapable of carrying/propelling an individual.

I do not agree with your info / advice about common land as much, allthough your technically correct about the common land being used by all, byelaws in place mean no motorized vehicles unless consent/permission is obtained from the council.

Secondly, you find me a farmer thats willing to let you destroy his feild with an rc car!!!

Don't forget, Jr was approached by the boys in blue, not a council lacke, so unfortunately in the real world arguing the toss with a copper that your in the right and he isnt usually ends one way

I do however like your comment about people "waving a big stick"

16 minutes ago, just rolling said:

Cheers fellas, as i thought as long as ya using common sense and not being a tool / maniac. I shall just keep out of the way of housing and people best i can as i have been doing and hopefully next time he goes and pulls some other cars over, ideally ones carrying criminals

Forget to ask, do you live in a highly urbanized area???

I travel to secluded fields

• Like 1

I use mine in the woods which probably isn't totally legal, but we'd all live in a pretty boring society + have very few places to actually use these things if we all stuck to the rules 100% Aslong as you don't take the **** or trespass onto property/land where you know you shouldn't be I can't see a problem.

Just be aware of you're surroundings and you'll be fine.

I'd never use mine on a football pitch/playing ground. I've seen video's of people running them up and down football pitches, me personally, I can't even understand what enjoyment you get from ripping up and down in a straight line. Must be frustrating for the houses near by and not to mention ruining someones sunday league football pitch/cricket oval just isn't gravy!

I'm lucky that I live in Lincolnshire with plenty of places to go and use them 'quietly' but for those who live in the built up area's it must be hard work finding a place to take them!

Edited by bombercountynick
  • Like 2

i wasn't aware that he could only give me advice at that time. the only this which is prohibited rc related is aerial, but that being said its technically illegal to run any of my petrol/gasoline vehicles over there as its classed as a motorized vehicle.

i m normally quit polite to anyone that has a problem with me but if they don't settle down then i will switch. i have people recording me, people threatening me and much more mainly the same people but it has seemed to of stopped. when it comes to others using the field at the same time such as dog walkers i will kill the car and wait until there a good distance from me, the few times the dog warden (same council man) was over the field quit a few dog walkers and just people who chill at the park came over was asked a few questions as they were here and not a single one had a problem with me. They thought it was good thing rater me sitting on a computer all day or causing problems and just being a vandle    

TBH im very happy im on this little contract as long as i stick to these extremely easy rules then im free from hassle.       

• Like 2

I shall just keep myself to myself and be as considerate as possible to others whilst having fun with my rc, should just be a 1 off,  hopefully the weather gets better to, thanks for replys

• Like 2

didnt the BRCA use to offer insurance for running your rc car anywhere but on public roads etc? i was out using my car today and had a dog walker tell me i shouldnt be using my dbxl in the park (public recreation ground) and theres no signs anywhere as we checked.

• Like 1

I've used most of mine on both public and privately owned land.

It's really down to who owns the land.

Although I always make it a bit of a rule to not run in crowded areas, apart from the crawlers, which don't even go fast enough to damage anyone/anything anyway.

Bit of give and take is applied, if you are considerate of the noise they cause and damage they can do, I think people should be considerate to your hobby.

I've only ever actually left an area when I've been told to once, but that was a football pitch, we weren't actually causing any marks or anything, but we left out of respect to the people who actually own it.

Any other time, unless it's the land owner stood face to face, we don't really take any notice.

• Like 1

True that. I had some posh women ride their horses about 200 yards to moan at me about running my Maxx 3.3 on the common.  I was 1/2 a mile from the nearest house. Their horses went tits ?. She screamed "turn it off". I shouted " I can't.  It's 100ft away" ?.    Some people are just killjoys :(

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stretch said:

Respect to the dog walker for knowing it was a dbxl :P

Unfortunately a lot of people dont understand the word 'public' and think it's only for people with kids or dog walkers.

As someone who has dogs, Im pretty much if the opinion that if your dog gets upset by RC cars or you can't control it in general, have it on a lead. So many bad dog owners out there who don't think they have a responsibility to train their animal let alone clear up after it.

Children should also be on a lead.

However looking at the amount of crap other dog owners leave I'm kind of picky where I run my cars anyway. Typically if someone walks their dog there, I won't run my cars.  

Edited by mond
  • Like 3