• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

3 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

Give it time, it’s very addictive and it sounds like you’re well on the way to having Outlaw Fever 🤪

Lol, I have it sitting the living room alongside my new Vantage 2.0.

The missus loves my new hobby - not!!

:cheers:

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Buggy Malone said:

Lol, I have it sitting the living room alongside my new Vantage 2.0.

The missus loves my new hobby - not!!

:cheers:

No they dont seem to like that do they :insane:

• Haha 1

Run 10 today (following the cracked suspension arm replacement) and the car is broken again; that's 7 out of 10 runs now!

This time:

1.  Rear central CVD drive axle.

2.  Lower left sway bar link.

3.  Roll cage rear plate.

4.  Spare wheel mount.

Buying an Outlaw has taught me lots about RC but the main one is "don't buy an Outlaw".

I've not got any faith in running this thing. I might just strip-out the BL stuff and stick the car in the shed.

Screenshot_20211216-104854_Gallery.thumb.jpg.a05dbe683eaa68511f12c6149ad5dc45.jpg

Screenshot_20211216-104837_Gallery.thumb.jpg.868548898b73e51738c858f52c8e522a.jpg

Cheers guys, it's not as if I thrashed it or bashed it around.

I'll give it a few days and see what my next RC step is going to be.

I saw an RC Duck (the feathered variety) for sale on the forum the other day - perhaps that's more my style, lol :good:

• Haha 1

A quick update guys:

I had some spare time yesterday so I decided to move all of the Outlaw' s BL gear over to my new Vantage 2.0 Brushed and vice versa.  I've now got a Brushed Outlaw running on the standard 15T motor & 60A ESC combo.

This makes more sense as the slower speed of a brushed Outlaw on our local BMX track will serve me better.

I'm tired of the disappointment of continually repairing it so the slower speed may actually enhance my enjoyment.

Screenshot_20211218-163458_Gallery.thumb.jpg.f1e10e460396fdd82c5bd9ddba200016.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Buggy Malone said:

A quick update guys:

I had some spare time yesterday so I decided to move all of the Outlaw' s BL gear over to my new Vantage 2.0 Brushed and vice versa.  I've now got a Brushed Outlaw running on the standard 15T motor & 60A ESC combo.

This makes more sense as the slower speed of a brushed Outlaw on our local BMX track will serve me better.

I'm tired of the disappointment of continually repairing it so the slower speed may actually enhance my enjoyment.

Screenshot_20211218-163458_Gallery.thumb.jpg.f1e10e460396fdd82c5bd9ddba200016.jpg

Oh that poor motor in the outlaw, its going to be smelling hot hot hot 😛 enjoy tho, just expect it to burn out pretty quick.

• Like 1

You need the 21 T motor in the outlaw . It last a bit longer .  The 15T is for the carnage.  .

They don't cost much   even a slower brushed cheapo will work once you work out the cogs . I had many weeks of hassle getting my  cheapo working lol   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm very pleased that you lot keep an eye on me or else I'm going to end up blowing up my stuff fairly quickly and regularly.

"Boom, there goes one more model, lol".

I may just transfer the brushed gear to one of my old Tamiya buggies and leave the Outlaw on the shelf for a while.

Yep, keep an eye on me guys as I'm sure there'll be a few more cock-ups to come.

All the best,

Andrew

On 19/12/2021 at 16:54, Redback said:

Oh that poor motor in the outlaw, its going to be smelling hot hot hot 😛 enjoy tho, just expect it to burn out pretty quick.

Today I checked the motor codes in the Brushed Outlaw and the Brushed Vantage and they both appear to be the exact same 550 15T lump.

Both cars also come with the option of running a 17T or 23T pinion so if the FTX brochure is to be believed then the 550 should be OK. 

I'll give the Outlaw a run or two in the New Year and report back.

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Redback said:

Yes, but it doesnt solve the transmissions issues that cause it to pop and slide, and it can still happen if you go full beans to full stop.
Make sure your not also using the horrible brass pinions they ruin spurs too.

Okay so how do I fix the transmission problems and what pinions can I get instead

You can only get one pinion size for the outlaw (yes it takes 21t but its way to high geared for the truck)
RW .6 Pinion 17 teeth is the only choice, you cant go smaller or the motor can will hit the transmission outputs.
If you have a bigger 5mm motor, you can get a 5mm bore .6 17t from here.
https://www.rwracing.co.uk/product/-6-module-helicopter-pinion-5mm-bore-short-boss

There is no fix for the design flaw in the transmission housing that makes it flimsy, short of putting in a completely diffrent transmission, we will have to wait for metal transmission housing (if that ever happens).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I bought my son a brushless outlaw.  We are newbies and I think I’ve made an expensive mistake and killed the battery.

We left the battery connected after the last run and possibly have left the car switched on.

I have come to charge the battery and it is showing 3 green lights on the charger.  Usually cell 1 and cell 2 turn red but they’re all green to start.

I put the battery back in the car and it’s totally dead. 

So from a quick Google I think I may have over discharged the battery?

Do you think this is the case?  Can anyone recommend a new battery and a better charger?  Also, a guide on how to look after the batteries.

Thanks.

Hi

Im very new to RCs and I got my son the brushed outlaw for xmas and its all basically stock other than a couple of 5000mah batteries. My problem is im now going onto motor number 3. The recent motor was only used for about 2 hours in total over 3 different days and has now failed.

The Leads to the motor read over 8 volts with my meter. The esc is picking up the signal when on throttle (light flashing fine) so power is getting to the motor. All the same symptoms as last time when i had to change the motor which cured the issue.

Its not been used in the wet or anything so im not sure what is causing it to burn through motors. I really dont want to be changing motors every week or so doesnt seem right.

P.s. its the stock motors ive been swapping over - no upgrades or anything.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks

Liam

I binned my brushed setup after the 2nd brushed esc & motor, now running brushless and no issues with that since, broke the rest of it but the motor has been a great upgrade, speed and reliability, after some lipo'a we purchased.

£80/90 or so to do, maybe cheaper with a cheap combo deal, a 3660 would fit, 3k ish moto and 3s will be fun before it breaks something, like front arm braces, driveshaft etc but it's easy to fix and  the upgrades are not too expensive.,

Get a 23t pinion and the brushles motor 23t bracket, all stock, ali option too, that perked mine up a treat too.

Mark.

Thanks mark appreciate the reply.

Its his 1st RC of this type so he is still getting used to handling it the speed etc so didnt really want to upgrade before he got a handle on things ( 1st motor failed after about 3-4 hours of total play and 2nd motor failed now after about 2 hours of play so its still quite new to him).

I just cant get my head around how they can fail so quick- more time changing them than using them. I thought maybe somethings causing it other than rubbish motors. 

Cheers

Liam

48 minutes ago, Eldo said:

Thanks mark appreciate the reply.

Its his 1st RC of this type so he is still getting used to handling it the speed etc so didnt really want to upgrade before he got a handle on things ( 1st motor failed after about 3-4 hours of total play and 2nd motor failed now after about 2 hours of play so its still quite new to him).

I just cant get my head around how they can fail so quick- more time changing them than using them. I thought maybe somethings causing it other than rubbish motors. 

Cheers

Liam

Its the rubbish gearing of the truck not really the motors fault.
23t pinion is to high geared even for brushless it might be ok on the road and flats but not suitable for a young driver, the 17t barely cuts it off road.
You cant not choose your own gearing its a choice of two... If you upgrade to brushless, you also will need a hardened spur and steel pinion.
Probably best getting a spare plastic (avoid the metal one) rear drive shaft and rear lowere links and metal chassis as its like glass.

17 hours ago, Willster said:

Hello, I bought my son a brushless outlaw.  We are newbies and I think I’ve made an expensive mistake and killed the battery.

We left the battery connected after the last run and possibly have left the car switched on.

I have come to charge the battery and it is showing 3 green lights on the charger.  Usually cell 1 and cell 2 turn red but they’re all green to start.

I put the battery back in the car and it’s totally dead. 

So from a quick Google I think I may have over discharged the battery?

Do you think this is the case?  Can anyone recommend a new battery and a better charger?  Also, a guide on how to look after the batteries.

Thanks.

Yes the lipo is dead, the battery is actually not half bad im still using the lipo i got with the outlaw whilst others are falling apart.
Dual Charger
https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/330106/

Cant go wrong with gens Ace
https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/331130/

Battery Guide

Outlaw is an odd one.

It's mainly sold to first time RC people, I guess because its (on the face of it) a good car for the money, and I get that as someone coming into the hobby, you dont want to spend £400+ on a car.

I mean, the Outlaw was my first RC car.

But really, this isnt a car for newbies, it requires constant maintenence, finding parts, upgrades, modifying etc.

Where as my Hobao Hyper VSe, really is far more newbie friendly.

I bought a DR8 about a month after the Outlaw, it’s night and day different!! 

I bought it as it had good reviews and price was right, so totally agree with comments above.

outlaw is good for an open field or at the beach but not for bashing/ big jumps etc 

I’ve spent more time fixing or modifying the outlaw than driving it but I also enjoy it much more now it’s brushless and running lipos.

it’s going to be an ideal step for my son, he’s now on a 1/16 and he’s looking at 1/10, so the outlaw will be used for training before I buy home something tasty.