• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

4 minutes ago, Iain .R said:

Hi   I tried that but I couldn't undo the two screws to take the top chassis plate off   when needed to do any work on it   how did you fit it ... 

As I just (planed ) to put two long screws with lock nuts thro the  battery tray in to the chassis plate . 

As if I went forward so I could see the screws outlaw body was hitting the fan on top 

I’ll take some pictures for you later, but basically I drilled the battery tray and put those screws through it, down through the top plate and into the gear case - the back edge of the tray is cable tied to the frame

• Like 1

I got you   .. mmmmm ok I need to strip it as I got my new Dean's connectors today . 

I was cleaning the points on the deans connector from the esc i was just scratching the brass with end of a screwdriver just incase they had some crap on them that was stopping it working 100%  and I got a spark from it . Theres still power in the esc even 10mins after I turned it off .  . 

Anyway once iv fitted the new Dean's I'll swap the tray about  .

1 hour ago, Iain .R said:

I got you   .. mmmmm ok I need to strip it as I got my new Dean's connectors today . 

I was cleaning the points on the deans connector from the esc i was just scratching the brass with end of a screwdriver just incase they had some crap on them that was stopping it working 100%  and I got a spark from it . Theres still power in the esc even 10mins after I turned it off .  . 

Anyway once iv fitted the new Dean's I'll swap the tray about  .

Yes the esc has capacitors, luckly it was a hobbywing or that short could have cooked a mosfet, always push the powerbutton once you disconnect the battery to drain the system completely. Specially important with high power systems like the max 8 and upwards as those capactors hold lots of volts, id swap to xt60 or xt 90 iain they dont get any crud in them also no chance of misconnection or shorting like what happened on the deans.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

@Iain .R - the saga of your pink wheel has been entertaining me because I’ve been planning a set of pink wheels for ages but the white rims have been on backorder! 😂

226E9274-4045-4840-88DF-46A4D3994DC4.thumb.jpeg.beaef18fa034426d32218c5fae9fb6ce.jpeg

8BF1ED8C-01B2-4B85-94E8-18CBB9AAC8D7.thumb.jpeg.54a7f716fc9f93286b036d13633f224f.jpeg

3F976905-A96C-462D-A123-4EB3CAE06387.thumb.jpeg.93844d5befdf55e6b27f16bc0249f2a1.jpeg

✌️😎

WHY ????????????????????     Lol 

• Haha 1

5mm bore pinion arrived so tested the only 2 motors that would fit.

the xerun xr8 sct on sensored 3660 4300kv on 3s overheated to be expected to high of a kv.

IMG_20210629_191948.thumb.jpg.abd05f71a97e0d939c7d84d9e09d37aa.jpg

the axe 550l r2 3300kv on 2s pulls like a monster and no overheat as of yet, there is 0 gap (its longer than a 3660 motor) but doesnt affect the steering.
IMG_20210629_224152.thumb.jpg.62ace416c3439b4649f320b268f08b31.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Redback said:

the axe 550l r2 3300kv on 2s pulls like a monster and no overheat as of yet, there is 0 gap (its longer than a 3660 motor) but doesnt affect the steering.
IMG_20210629_224152.thumb.jpg.62ace416c3439b4649f320b268f08b31.jpg

What fan sink is that?  My Hobbywing one wouldn’t fit for toffee!

I cant recall, i think its just a fastrax heatsink next time im ordering ill check and find out. The hobbywing one didnt fit for me also.
Helped mow the grass in the park a bit, or well pull it out.
IMG_20210701_184716.thumb.jpg.60260c7a80c66214a36fa12d236e1699.jpg
Back to stock gearing with 5mm bore pinion and metal spur on a brushless crawler esc and motor axe550l 3300kv on 2s andd 3s is exactly how i wanted the truck the drive in the first place, torque for miles, speed and tons of modulation.
0 cogging and no motor over heat unless you bind the drivetrain up with grass and keep smashing it through foot long grass flat out for a few min.
Passed the high torque test and a bit of crawling, time will tell if it stays put but for now I'm waiting on the wraith style sway bar kit.

As a note the motor mount unless mounted in reverse has a small lip that allows the longer bore motor shafts not to hit. See the blue of the mount sticking out past the transmission housing.

IMG_20210629_191956.thumb.jpg.2ed5beb99cec70e1a1033971a39808f7.jpg

1 hour ago, Redback said:

As a note the motor mount unless mounted in reverse has a small lip that allows the longer bore motor shafts not to hit. See the blue of the mount sticking out past the transmission housing.

I’m still using the OG plastic motor mount and it needed the 2mm spacer to fit. 

Glad it’s working well for you now - feels like torqueyer motors and 5mm bore pinions are exactly what the car has been waiting for!

16 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

I’m still using the OG plastic motor mount and it needed the 2mm spacer to fit. 

Glad it’s working well for you now - feels like torqueyer motors and 5mm bore pinions are exactly what the car has been waiting for!

I think the og mounts also have the gap make sure its round the right way is all i was getting at, it can be fitted backwards for some reason and still mesh up fine.

A bigger motor was always the solution the issue was the pinion as this has been resolved with the RW helicopter pinions working its opened up possibilites for not needing to replace the transmission if you have the right motor for the job.
Heres some of the testing footage i got before it got bound up with grass.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Redback said:

I think the og mounts also have the gap make sure its round the right way is all i was getting at, it can be fitted backwards for some reason and still mesh up fine

Yeah, I figured that, but it’s more obvious which way it goes in the plastic mount as the motor side is notched - maybe my motor shaft is 2mm longer? 🤷‍♂️

Months ago when I first bought my Outlaw I saw a complete ally gear case available from China, boy do I ever wish I’d bought it now!  Can’t find them anymore. 

My next mission is to strengthen the complete transmission as that’s my next weakest link to more speed and reliability. 

11 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

Yeah, I figured that, but it’s more obvious which way it goes in the plastic mount as the motor side is notched - maybe my motor shaft is 2mm longer? 🤷‍♂️

Months ago when I first bought my Outlaw I saw a complete ally gear case available from China, boy do I ever wish I’d bought it now!  Can’t find them anymore. 

My next mission is to strengthen the complete transmission as that’s my next weakest link to more speed and reliability. 

This mystery alloy case was mentioned in my crawler thread at the start and ive never seen it, it doesnt solve the horrible gearing if your wanting to crawl the outlaw and i get thats not its purpose.
An alloy case would be ideal as i find theres flex around the bearings this is what causes the stock spur to get eaten under loads.
But even the cogging from 540 motors and anything really on a 3mm shaft means the truck needs a big motor and it sure does transform the truck, really need that sway bar mod now.
The steel spur i will update you on later after some run time but ideally i want to put the axe system back into the trx4 and use another 3670 size motor but that will require mods 😰
My big tires balloon like crazy on 3s but have yet to de bead on the axial bead locks, proline tires back and front however yet to lock the diffs and max it!
Will put on some 1/8 speed run tires and get some data 😉

11 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

Will you keep the little front dogbone shaft or use a solid shaft.
The long rear shaft A.J used on his pre runner build the ssd one looks ideal for the back.
As for front drive shafts, yet to break one, but also yet to lock the diffs.
Let me know how you diffs get on with 4s racing, i know there are hardened ones out there and some one that will do custom hardened diff spurs.

Edited by Redback

1/8 speed run tires

I want some - any recommendations?

Will you keep the little front dogbone shaft or use a solid shaft.
The long rear shaft A.J used on his pre runner build the ssd one looks ideal for the back.
As for front drive shafts, yet to break one, but also yet to lock the diffs.
Let me know how you diffs get on with 4s racing, i know there are hardened ones out there and some one that will do custom hardened diff spurs.

The central front dogbone is actually tough as all hell, I’ve destroyed the drive cups but the shaft itself remains unworn. 

I’ve removed badly worn CVD’s from the front but never actually broken one yet, short of the one I bent by running into Cornwall that time…

The diffs are the main sticking point, I’ve not seen hardened ones so a link would be handy - I’ve grenaded the standard ones on 2s…

Hi m8 that's my back garden  I do need to cut t he grass  lol . 

Well I got fed up with the cogging on cheap motor so I bought another cheap one.  

3660 BRUSHLESS WATERPROOF MOTOR 2S 3S 4S LIPO 2600KV 1/10 RC CAR

And wow . It chews thro the grass  just like the vid above   even full stop and the moving off   no cogging what's so ever  even in reverse. 

I have traaxxs wheels on there I bought off martynich94.  

And it goes like my carnage on flat grass with the HW motor in it .  

So it's a 2600KV  i used to have a 3900KV (no idea why I got such high no ) and it was ok on grass but don't stop as it would not go again unless you give it a push .. 

Even sometimes on flat gravel it cog for a sec or so . But now   nothing.   The brakes are a bit sharp mind need to ease them off a bit . . 

So cheap cog free 

3660 BRUSHLESS WATERPROOF MOTOR 2S 3S 4S LIPO 2600KV 1/10 RC CAR

Fits outlaws like a dream . 

2 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

@No brains - I actually weighed it today on postal sales, over 2.5kg without a battery, no wonder the 3652 was struggling!

That is a lot of weight for the little 3652 motor, poor little thing, lucky motor you released it from suffering😁

• Haha 1

Hi all   I just got home from a epic bash . Thus new motor is awesome.  It even works as a crawler  but that only lasted a few mins  as I like going nuts and jumps  so crawling not for me   . . 

Guys!!!!!

Just took the cars out for a bash, Hobao Hyper VSe and the 14 year old took his Outlaw I donated to him after I had given up on it.

Outlaw went through a 5000mah & 3250mah and............

Nothing broke.

I know right?!?

Buying a lottery ticket tonight.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, BUDFORCE said:

Guys!!!!!

Just took the cars out for a bash, Hobao Hyper VSe and the 14 year old took his Outlaw I donated to him after I had given up on it.

Outlaw went through a 5000mah & 3250mah and............

Nothing broke.

I know right?!?

Buying a lottery ticket tonight.

Hi m8  that's cool . I take your didnt  bash it  . Lol 

Keep it up you love the outlaw  its awesome 

7 minutes ago, Iain .R said:

Hi m8  that's cool . I take your didnt  bash it  . Lol 

Keep it up you love the outlaw  its awesome 

I really dont.

I love it when it works, but I have a list as long as your arm of things that have broken or mechanical failures. To the point where every time I fixed it, took it out, within 5 minutes something broke, called it a day.

My 14 year old is a lot more patient than I am so I donated it to him, told him I would pay for the parts but want nothing more to do with it.

Now my Hobao Hyper VSe, that is a proper car.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BUDFORCE said:

I really dont.

I love it when it works, but I have a list as long as your arm of things that have broken or mechanical failures. To the point where every time I fixed it, took it out, within 5 minutes something broke, called it a day.

My 14 year old is a lot more patient than I am so I donated it to him, told him I would pay for the parts but want nothing more to do with it.

Now my Hobao Hyper VSe, that is a proper car.

Totally agree mate Hypers are solid cars :good: