• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya TL-01 Subaru Impreza

Kpowell911

The condition of that!!

Was it brand new??

I think it'll be great. An older Tamiya touring car, with moderate power, is more interesting to me than an "extreme" RC. I own an Arrma Vorteks, but don't really like it. I much prefer my TT-01E, running a 12t brushed motor (although, yeah, it's had a LOT of money and upgrades thrown at it).

I'll be honest, the Torque Tuned is nice, but the performance is not good for the money.

Are you against non-Tamiya parts? It's just you can get adjustable camber and tow links, which is always a bonus. I use GPM items, but I wouldn't recommend them.

Edited by PraetoR

17 minutes ago, PraetoR said:

The condition of that!!

Was it brand new??

I think it'll be great. An older Tamiya touring car, with moderate power, is more interesting to me than an "extreme" RC. I own an Arrma Vorteks, but don't really like it. I much prefer my TT-01E, running a 12t brushed motor (although, yeah, it's had a LOT of money and upgrades thrown at it).

I'll be honest, the Torque Tuned is nice, but the performance is not good for the money.

Are you against non-Tamiya parts? It's just you can get adjustable camber and tow links, which is always a bonus. I use GPM items, but I wouldn't recommend them.

It is used but its in fantastic condition. Few scratches underneath

4xLRz0O.jpg

Im not against non Tamiya parts but Id prefer them. I do love TRF shocks though! The TL-01 came in two (well theres others) but theres this one and an LA. The LA has long suspension arms (but ISNT wider). Im guessing its possible to convert to LA which has more traditional tuning options, and handles much better but I wanted this version because this is what I had originally. 

I tend to agree with the performance part, Im guessing this is the slowest car I have (Id imagine the brushless TRX4 is faster in second gear?) but Its what it is over what it does for me. I appreciate thatll only appeal to me. 

Still undecided on the motor, Im guessing those eBay RZs are fake. 

Just need to order some bits. I have an RX and Ive sourced a stock front bumper

• Like 1

Just spent £59.97 on:

A Hobbywing 1060 ESC
A 21T Cheap Motor & Proper Pinion
A rounded Lipo, shaped like the old stick packs. 

Deans Connectors, Deans Lipo Charge Lead and even a genuine pack of Tamiya Body Clips.

Ill run it, then maybe look into really restoring it and modding it. I have a new Rx so Ill use my Noble NB4 🙂

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PraetoR said:

I've never seen a Tamiya BZ Motor. Is it nice?

Also, WHAT incorrect M Chassis Tyres?? I don't see any and now I want to see an M-Chassis build!

Yea theyre too small 😕 

No Idea about the motor. I wanted an RZ, but this was £17 thanks to the weak Yen. 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/tamiya-super-stock-motor-23t-type-bz-32482

Google suggested its very similar to the RZ so will be fine for this, itll be on the shelf more than anything else

What a shame about the shock-mount. That's far from ideal!

If the speed-tuned gear means a different spur (I'm guessing, smaller?), you'd have to use a non-standard sized pinion, as the gap to the spur would otherwise be incorrect. However, I don't know what the standard size of pinion is, so it could be that 19t is correct for the speed gear and 21t is correct for the standard spur (for example).

Worth checking that the pinion is 0.6 mod pitch, not the standard 48dp. 0.6 mod is correct for the TL-01 (unless than speed gearing spur is different?).

1 hour ago, Kpowell911 said:

So the Spur gear in the Speed Tuned gear set is the same size as the stock spur, it gets the different ratio via the other gearing. So thats sorted.

Good stuff.

The shocks might be overkill, but they're NICE!

This Mercedes TL-01 was released on 17th Nov 2000. Nearly 23 years ago…….

This car is completely stock. Today I charged a NIMH up, put some AAs in the old school AcomsTechniplus. Had to re set the Servo Horn for the throttle servo. And……

https://i.imgur.com/YwdE2sD.mp4

• Like 1

So, continuing the nostalgia. I finished work early, sun was out so the Mrs and I took a walk to the local park. So I took the Merc TL-01….

9WSOSM7.jpeg

With a twist. This is a bone stock TL-01 with MSC. Aged 12 when the TL-01 came out, this pretty much what we had if we were lucky enough to have parents who could afford an RC car for their child. If you told 12 year old me that Id be able to put a GPS on my toy car and find out how fast it went my mind would have blown.  Thankfully 23 years later……

w33qkJW.jpeg

We can! I love the blend of old school electronics with a GPS Speed Analyzer.,,,

Car is bone stock, stock gearing, silver can. Radio is Acoms 27mhz. The NIMH is an 1800mah Traxxas, borrowed from my EZ Start wand for my 2004 Revo 2.5R, so no idea on condition etc, but it peak charged in around and hour and showed decent voltage…..

PLACE YOUR BETS……..

oqZdidF.png

I had a good smile running it mind, the handling is shocking. Ive no idea if 13mph is “normal” Im guessing other people have done the same so may find some speeds. However, I have a benchmark, Ill do the same with my Subaru TL-01. This will have 2.4ghz radio, a Tamiya BZ Motor, 1060 ESC and a 2S Lipo. Combined with speed tuned gearing and bearings. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, PraetoR said:

That Merc shell makes me smile, just sitting on the tarmac and in the sun.

Reminds me of a simpler time, when good weather, a basic touring car and a charged ni-cd/ni-mh were all you needed.

Haha, I agree. Crazy how both these TL01s have been picked up cheapish (under £200 the pair) and are in very good, hardly used condition! Mine was used so much back in the day, I wore a hole through the chassis!

• Haha 2

I decided on a new Servo, only a cheap Etronic Metal Gear servo. I also picked up a new chassis as Id cracked a shock tower. I also picked up a set of B parts, as I had a sneaky feeling that the servo horn included wouldnt be a 25t and Id be stuck. 

Fu48Iqr.jpeg

I started a strip down. 

EniOKW2.jpeg

9NCC0nd.jpeg

Q9dfa40.jpeg

I also noticed a crack on this part, but luckily I had spares with the B parts. 

NL08CzZ.jpeg

New chassis, with the revised cut out. I DID need the new 25t horn so the B parts were worth buying. 

m5t1Roy.jpeg

Started building the new end up

gHsoiZn.jpeg

os0K2St.jpeg

Nearly back together. 

y58YhgJ.jpeg

As you can see I also fitted the new TRF shocks. Not really much else to do to this now, but I think youll agree it looks very nice for a 24 year old model. Im going to run it as I want to see the performance with an ESC, Lipo, Speed Tuned gears and the Super Stock motor. I have a 13mph bench mark as above from bone stock. 

fCDwCdg.jpeg

sw09F6a.jpeg

NftXsOw.jpeg

QEkMm8s.jpeg

I may put the stock front bumper on, and I need some new body posts as I think the shell sits too low and they’ve been cut. 

• Like 3