• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

I must have been lucky. I pull wheelies & rolling stoppies with mine. I don't do speed runs though. These ain't built for doing 30 mph for a long time.

My son drives like you but never top speed runs and he has stripped his twice in two outings.
More down time than runtime.
There seems to be a fair bit of rocking motion from the motor when it kicks in.
No bracket at rear of motor to counteract this. Could that be the main problem?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Are you stripping the spur gear? . I've got the aluminium motor mount. Much stronger. Some reinforcing at the rear & just behind the rear shocks helps too. Have a look at the "ftx outlaw "page on Facebook. 

• Like 1

Cheers everyone.
Opened it up and motor mounting screws were all undone.

One last question when only using minimal input on the steering the servos move with loads of play before they really engage and turn the wheels.
His car has never turned a tight circle.
Would this be the reason why? And is there a cure?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

The bearings are naff on mine.  When they give up I'll order some from rcbearings. That induces a bit of slop. Check all the screws are tight & swearing arm ends are ok too .

• Like 1

Anyone know if the Axial yeti body fits the outlaw ? they look similar and there's also different styles for the yeti but there more expensive :( and not many places have the clear outlaw body in stock :rolleyes: 

On 02/05/2018 at 00:08, NOFX said:

Are you stripping the spur gear? . I've got the aluminium motor mount. Much stronger. Some reinforcing at the rear & just behind the rear shocks helps too. Have a look at the "ftx outlaw "page on Facebook. 

What do you use to reinforce the rear of the motor?

Well it happened broke the drive/prop shaft :rolleyes: it was fun running it in FWD for about 2 minutes before I packed up and went home think I need to get another basher  was a bit short of a bash for me :boredlook:

• Like 1

After some good hill climbing action mine cartwheeled down the hill and I watched my rear axle go flying away.

Time for some aluminum trailing arms.

I knew I would be upgrading the trailing arms sooner or later and I guess it's going to be sooner!

I'm not sure if I can keep the axle housing and beef the mounting area up with epoxy and an axle truss sort of arraignment but I'm going to give it a try before tossing it into the scrap bin.  

5af338039cf31_100_18111.thumb.JPG.122db87458a014ce17af934fd9ef6c55.JPG

I wish rpm'd step in with some durable parts for these. I've not caused any major damage to mine.... yet . But everyone else seems to break em on every outing q:boredlook:

20 minutes ago, NOFX said:

I wish rpm'd step in with some durable parts for these. I've not caused any major damage to mine.... yet . But everyone else seems to break em on every outing q:boredlook:

There is the aluminum option for an axle housing but it's just too much for my budget on this car, I'll see what I can fabricobble for a truss that'll let me continue to run the plastic axle housings for a bit longer.

To be fair to the FTX plastic axle housing; I am sure that if the trailing arms had not let go the axle housing would be fine so I share a bit of the blame for what I did while running a known weak link. I'm looking at 5.84 in replacement parts that most likely would have been avoided by spending 16.14 on the aluminum trailing arms. 

The thing that got to me some what is that my day was cut short by the breakage. I was having a great time of it and still had two fresh battery packs in reserve, I hadn't even taken a snack break before having to pack it in for the day. 

Hi all, hoping someone can help with a motor query as I can't seem to find an answer after searching for a few days... I'm about to get a used brushed Outlaw and will straight away upgrade but before I do I wanted to check what size can will it take without needing to modify the chassis or any mounting brackets. I'm looking at hobbywing sensored brushless but don't want to get a short can if it'll take something more 1:8 size.
Thanks very much.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, DartmoorTrails said:

Just picked up a barely used bargain today for £70, brushed emoji106.png
Money pit #4 here I come?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yes and no I'm about £170 something into mine now with the BL system alloy chassis and trailing arms and the steel drive/prop shaft I've just ordered still cheaper and better than the BL version so I'm still happy :D 

Hey all, Long time reader but this my first entry. Was wondering if anyone can help me find some replacement bearings for the rear axle? the ones for ther rear diff shaft. If someone can point me in the right direction, that would be much appreciated :D thanks

New drive/prop shaft image.jpg all fitted ready for tomorrow :D image.jpg did have to grind some off both ends though to make it fit should of just spent the extra £4 and got the FTX one :lol: 

29 minutes ago, NOFX said:

It looks meatyer than the ftx one.

Think it might be smaller in diameter than the FTX one if it's equally as strong time will tell :) I didn't know why but I keep waiting to get a 3s lipo :o don't know how long it would last then ^_^