• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

Outlaw bits arrived this morning. :36_11_12[1]: Know what I'll be doing this aft.  :whistling:

The lower links look really substantial and the driveshaft looks nice and strong too.

John

OutlawBits-1.jpg

OutlawBits-Links.jpg

OutlawBits-Links2.jpg

OutlawBits-Driveshaft.jpg

And just for t2boats. They do exist after all.  :D

Outlaw23Mount.jpg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 3

The Outlaw motor pinion is Mod 0.6  :thumbsup:

Put the old motor back in for now and fitted the 17t Mod 0.6 pinion using a 1/8 to 5mm adaptor as the new pinion is 5mm bore. The BL motor will have a 5mm shaft. Pinion and spur gear meshed properly and when running make about the same noise as the stock pinion. Had to cut a hole in the front of the gear case though to accommodate the longer pinion. Will have to sort out a cover for the pinion or get a shorter pinion and put a flat plate over it.

John

Old pinion nose to nose with the new one.

OutlawPinions.jpg

OutlawPinionMotor.jpg

• Like 1

I'm really like that look of the back end now John, and I'm really hating you :crying:  haha.. MS still haven't got them in. Wonder if you'll buy the ali axle too to compliment the look of all those shiny blue bits...?! I'll certainly be buying direct from FTX next time.  

I'll be ordering the sway link bars I think as I'm a bit sceptical over their longevity, saying that they incur different forces upon them compared to the other meatier parts which explains their build. I'll just replace them if/when they break (probably on behalf of me first as I accidentally booted it the other day when in the shed stepping over it :ack:) it survived my size elevens though haha..

Gotta admit it looks good with the blue bits now :good:

Craig

The 23t 5mm shaft pinion i got was of a normal depth, yours looks like one off a helicopter! I too have been stung by that "normal" looking image in the past, showed a normal pinion and one of those arrived :huh:

The 23t pinion I received is the same length as the 17t one. At least now that I know it's a mod 0.6 I'll look around for a "normal" pinion.  

The ali axle and diff cover would be 80 quid so not too eager to get them..Might get the blue ali chassis though as it's only about 20 quid  and would be a lot more durable than stock.

John

Have been looking for a normal pinion but no one seems to have any in stock. Oh well the big ugly one looks like it'll be staying around for a while. 

Edited by johninderby

New pinions have now been "normalised"  :D

A little work with the cut-off wheel then finishing up in the lathe and the new pinions are no longer bonkers and are a normal length. The hardened steel they are made from was certainly hard. :ack:

John

OutlawPinions.jpg

installed and coated with ceramic grease.

OutlawPinions2.jpg

Edited by johninderby

Expect the system will arrive in about a week or so.  ;)

Got a chance to use my new Bosch GRO rotary tool with cut-off wheel. Bit like a Dremel on steroids and takes proper cordless tool battery packs. Lathe even had the right carbide cutting tool set-up at just the right position so re-facing the pinions only took a moment.

Decided to order the aluminium chassis plate after all. Was going to make one but it wasn't much more just to buy the finished part rather than the raw materials. One of the better buys in the FTX accessories. . New transmission case ordered to replace the now "holey" one. Now that was cheap. 

John

On 21/12/2016 at 16:56, johninderby said:

While changing the RX discovered the RX box isn't waterproof. merely splashproof as there's a big slot to pass the wires through and no rubber seal around the lid. Could be waterproofed easily enough though with some silicone.

maybe you can fit a traxxas receiver box with some adjustments i think they work great.