• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Ultra-4 & Outlaw SCT Conversion

t2boats

Hello all,  finally had chance to get the Outlaw out from out its box and have a good look at it. It's a sturdy car, typical FTX feel to it, solid. I bought the brushed version as I've already got some brushless gear sat around doing nothing, so saving £90 has been the benefit! 

It has the 550 FTX can, and brushed esc, all Etronix gear. The control is your standard affair, simple yet functional. All the adjustments are found under a little flap on top. 

I changed the hubs/knuckles etc to FTX aluminium upgrades straight away (shares suspensions parts as the Carnage/Vantage/Hooligan) so that will minimise any slop now. Again, nice quality machined parts! There's a pic below. 

With wanting to fit a brushless GoolRC 3800kv 3660 can it has a 5mm shaft, FTX advertise two different pinion sizes of 17 and 23 for their two models using the 3.17mm shaft motor. I bought the 5mm 48dp 23tooth pinion for my brushless motor - I can confirm the brushed version comes Stock with a 17tooth 48dp pinion :ack:  I searched for info on this and found nothing. Was hoping the 17 was in the brushless version and 23 in the brushed version to help get the top speed up. I also ordered an aluminium motor mount to suit the 23tooth pinion when ordering the car, waiting for it on back order at the mo. So for the time being I'll run it stock, perhaps change the esc to a different brushed one I have which handles 3S.

I quickly ran it this morning and performance out the box is typical of a brushed model - it's not that quick which is to be expected, perhaps 20 to 25mph on 2S.. I'll fit my gps and give it a test soon! Even from just running it at that spec I could see how supple the suspension is - it's great to watch! And the tyres soak up the bumps and are really grippy :good:

Anything grind my gears? 

To change the pinion gear involves removing 12 screws - yes, 12! And they were bonded in by the feel of it too, so make sure you have a decent Allen key so to not round off the hex screw heads. 

To change the battery involves removing the shell too, with the battery being exposed at the back I was hoping I could get to both Velcro straps - nope! Anyhow, it's only 4 clips and it's off the car, then two velcro straps for your battery. It lives in a tray so things are well supported anyway.

Front suspension was really really soft, I'll have to change the shock oil to something a lot thicker I think in future. I moved the front shocks on the adjustment which has worked keeping the front end upwards a bit more when the shell goes on. Perhaps they did that for packaging reasons as the rear axles sus' was compressed n held down with a zip tie - so it'd fit inside the box - it's a tall RC! 

so far, that's it - nothing else really to moan about!

The good bits:

Feels well made and solid

Suspension adjustment seems endless and really supple

Easily modified (except the ordeal removing the gearbox cover)

Comes with stock waterproof electrics

Upgrade parts are plentiful for it (waiting for the rear axle aluminium drive cups and ali' motor mount for 23tooth pinion)

Aluminium big bore shocks all round

Large grippy foam filled tyres

And I think it looks great too!! Nice lean when steering, can't wait to make some video for it..

And surprisingly the stock 3kg moves the steering with ease!

All in all I'm made up with it, with what I've got in mind for it, it'll perform really well.

The following will be fitted:

GoolRC brushless motor 3800kv 3660 can

17kg waterproof steering servo

120Amp Waterproof ESC

2S or 3S Lipo.

IMG_0500.JPG

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG_0502.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

Edited by t2boats

Just had another thought: with regards to the motor mount plate and the need to buy another one if you wish to use a different pinion. From looking at the plate, I'm hoping there's the possibility it can be swung around 180 degrees (so the other side of the plate now faces the motor) effectively moving the motor further away from the spur - they just might be suffice to suit the 23tooth pinion...?! I'll have a good look at this when I get the opportunity and let you know.

12 hours ago, johninderby said:

Will be interested to see how you get on with the GoolRC S3660 3800kv motor. Have been considering the 3300kv or 3800kv. 

BTW it's your fault I went ahead and ordered one.  :D

John

Ha! Good stuff :good: the brushed version yeah? The 3660 can is a perfect snug fit for it, I'm quite liking the GOOLRC motors, have had two others beforehand. They feel heavy, well made and solid. Nice finish to them n all. Just still waiting for the FTX ali' motor mount (23tooth) plate to arrive from MS when it comes back in stock.. that's my other gripe with this model - why should it need to have different motor mount plates if you wish to use different size pinions - which reminds me, I need to look at the current mount plate and see if it's just a case of turning it about face for the larger pinion to fit. I like the design of the motor mount in the Viper, a simple offset disc which can be rotated round secured by a clamp to suit any size pinion you wish. Shame that couldn't be replicated in the Outlaw as it's the same central spur drive layout (minus the diff of course!)

Yes it's the brushed. Going to use a 600BB brushed race motor temporarily until I decide which brushless motor to get. Actually it'll probably be about as fast as the stock brushless setup. 

If only they had made the slots slightly wider it would have been an adjustable mount.  :017:  Maybe widen the slots a bit?

John

Outlaw-Pinion-1.jpg

Edited by johninderby

Im away from home at the minute so can't look, have you got a 23tooth 48dp pinion handy? See if you can remove the mount and refit it so the 17t is facing the motor, that'll in effect move the motor further away from the spur and it might just fit the 23tooth...?!

Don't have any 23t 48tpi pinions available. Might be able to just enlarge the top slot to allow some adjustment. Wonder if a flat metal motor mount off something else could be used? Would be easy to just cut down the outside to a square that would fit into the slots in the gear case.

John

6 minutes ago, NOFX said:

Oh no. I want one now . But Ive got a viper & its awful.  

I want one too and I've got a Surge. Surge has got to be worse than the Viper.

7 hours ago, NOFX said:

The viper clipped the kerb at about 5 mph . It cost £65 to repair that one.   Ill wait until these have been tried & tested before i invest in one

Crikey! Sorry to hear that.. I've had a viper for almost 3yrs now and it's been nothing but as tough as old boots :huh:  Never had a problem with it at all, it's survived every track and bash session it's been on except when hitting a stone wall at full pelt (mine has been measured at 55mph though) it snapped the front suspension arm and that was it thanks to my nephew! I was expecting a lot worse when it came limping around the corner after hearing the "crunch"..  was delighted and surprised (well, relieved really) when that's all it suffered. Now, :back2topic:

So I think my purchase of the Outlaw, based on my experience of the Viper, Hooligan, then Outback, has given me the ground to go for one of these. I'm sure I won't be dissapointed! 

13 hours ago, NOFX said:

Oh no. I want one now . But Ive got a viper & its awful.  

I have the remains of a brushed one that I repaired once for an acquaintance, he gave it to his 5 year old who has managed to destroy most of it by running into fence posts....:doh:

Uneconomical to repair, it will be split down and any worthy parts sold off....

Looking at the rear end of this, I fear it may follow a similar path....

I rebuilt the back end of mine with some cf & alu rod. Spent ages doing it.Then the misses knocked it off the shelf & broke the bit that joins the chasssis to the roll cage :( . I just cant  be bothered any more :/

I've been an absolute beast to my Carnage and Hooligan, yes they've cost me some coin but they're fun enough to warrant fixing. The Surge MT just wasn't. 

The hooligan/carnage seems a good platform.. my Hooligan hasn't needed repair at all, granted it's raced on a flat track but also used on an uneven gravel/dirt/shale surface, takes it in its stride.